VMware Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 22, 2017

3.2

Workplace Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Acquaintance referred me, received notification that they received my application, received email stating that I was not considered, received email asking for interview, response two weeks later with time of phone interview, received another email asking to post pone interview, phone interview was not with VMware, thanked for phone interview, followed up 2 weeks later and received response that they were still interviewing. Two months later and still no response

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your personal life   2 Answers
    • Why do you like Austin?   1 Answer
    • Tell me what you don't like about your career field   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at VMware (Stony Brook, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The hiring procedure is quite different but good sometimes. I has given two interviews on campus. I was selected and my resume was circulated among various teams. Hiring Manager which think you are good fit for their team contact you and more rounds of interview are taken. If you do well, you are selected. You may get opportunity to interview with more than one team if your profile matches requirements of more than one team. This is good, it increases you chance of getting selected even if you do bad when interviewing with few teams

Engineering Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The process took a couple weeks. I was eventually asked to come in and talk with several members of the team. Everyone was really nice and helpful. However, they were looking for someone with more experience.

Data Center Operations Technical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Wenatchee, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (East Wenatchee, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

Two months after applying for a position, I got a response for the job. This was after the start of a new fiscal year/quarter. First I talked to a recruiter who setup a time to answer some questions about my background. Then I waited for a response from the Hiring managers. Then I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. then I had to ping the HR person several times (once a week) until I was finally told they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Describe your background and how it relates to what we are looking for.   Answer Question
    • You get a request for 100 new servers to be provisioned storage. What/how would you do it?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware in August 2016.

Interview

I was approached by a recruiter, and shared the background and skill sets. The coding test was held after a week. It was based on Java and fairly an easy question to be completed by 90 mins. The recruiter was very helpful till the initial stage.

Propel Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

two online test, one is easy and another one is really hard. You have to had solid computer science fundamentals such as algorithms, data structures, know about regular expression and also some pretty easy math. For the onsite interview, it was pretty easy, 3 rounds, coding and design questions. Also something about network and systems. Did not got the offer, move on anyway.

Interview Questions

• if the latency of TCP is pretty high, how can you solve it.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was supposed to be interviewed for "Python Developer - NSX Management Plane - Staff Engineer". To start with, the recruiter sent me a link to HackerRank online coding challenge. After preparing for the challenge, when I opened the link, I found that there was no option to select "Python" as my language of choice (even though the position was that of a Python developer).

So I sent out an email to the recruiter asking for a new link where I can select Python. However, it seems that the recruiter blatantly ignored my emails. I tried reaching out to him on LinkedIn and also through HackerRank (where I had to create a support ticket for the issue) but I got no response at all.

It is extremely disappointing that a reputed company like VMware can be so ruthless to experienced candidates who really want to go through the interview process but are being treated as if the company does not care about them. I understand that they might have already found another candidate. But is it so hard for their recruiter to communicate what exactly was the situation?

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

The recruiter was awesome to work with during the process. Very professional and responsive. Nothing is worse than being in the dark and that was not the case. Moved along fairly quick. Several phone interviews followed by an onsite.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer was very strong and fair based on market and past experience.

GTM Strategy Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Process took almost exactly 4 weeks from online application submittal to final round of interview(s) and decision. Applied online via LinkedIn, received follow-up confirmation from the HRBP a few days later and we were off from there, had a brief follow-up call with her, next step was a round of Skype of interviews with hiring manager for 30 mins, was asked some of the usual past experience and level of interest questions. Went a little deeper with some specific go-to-market questions. Passed that round and went on to meet the team (4 people in total) via Skype again, was asked questions related to detailed operational/tactical/analytical skills, Solution selling experience and SaaS GTM. That went well, next round was an in-person (1 hour) with hiring manager, went on to talk about where I see VMware's biggest opportunities for adoption/hurdles around SaaS and how I would go about it. Really enjoyed the face to face. Last round was another in-person with hiring manager and his boss, was tasked with charting my vision/journey for VMware SaaS Cloud GTM (1/1.5 hrs), created a detailed/structured deck and walked through journey with essentials (mission critical), metrics etc. Had a back and forth around some key ideas and how we would execute. Very enjoyable. Everyone was very nice and friendly. Great experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about incentivizing workforce/salesforce to sell SaaS products?   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Cambridge, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

July 1st week - Staffing coordinator contacted on phone about position in Cambridge, MA
    2nd week - Hacker rank coding challenge with 5 UI and 1 algorithm question
    4th - onsite interview. 3 technical rounds, 1 round of their product presentation, lunch with hiring manager.

Staffing coordinator was very prompt with her response and the team was very friendly!

Interview Questions

• Javascript, angularJS questions,
      Standard DS and algos questions and
      Questions about past experience on resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was above average. I didn't negotiate.