VMware Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

3.2

Propel Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

two online test, one is easy and another one is really hard. You have to had solid computer science fundamentals such as algorithms, data structures, know about regular expression and also some pretty easy math. For the onsite interview, it was pretty easy, 3 rounds, coding and design questions. Also something about network and systems. Did not got the offer, move on anyway.

Interview Questions

• if the latency of TCP is pretty high, how can you solve it.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was supposed to be interviewed for "Python Developer - NSX Management Plane - Staff Engineer". To start with, the recruiter sent me a link to HackerRank online coding challenge. After preparing for the challenge, when I opened the link, I found that there was no option to select "Python" as my language of choice (even though the position was that of a Python developer).

So I sent out an email to the recruiter asking for a new link where I can select Python. However, it seems that the recruiter blatantly ignored my emails. I tried reaching out to him on LinkedIn and also through HackerRank (where I had to create a support ticket for the issue) but I got no response at all.

It is extremely disappointing that a reputed company like VMware can be so ruthless to experienced candidates who really want to go through the interview process but are being treated as if the company does not care about them. I understand that they might have already found another candidate. But is it so hard for their recruiter to communicate what exactly was the situation?

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

The recruiter was awesome to work with during the process. Very professional and responsive. Nothing is worse than being in the dark and that was not the case. Moved along fairly quick. Several phone interviews followed by an onsite.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer was very strong and fair based on market and past experience.

GTM Strategy Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Process took almost exactly 4 weeks from online application submittal to final round of interview(s) and decision. Applied online via LinkedIn, received follow-up confirmation from the HRBP a few days later and we were off from there, had a brief follow-up call with her, next step was a round of Skype of interviews with hiring manager for 30 mins, was asked some of the usual past experience and level of interest questions. Went a little deeper with some specific go-to-market questions. Passed that round and went on to meet the team (4 people in total) via Skype again, was asked questions related to detailed operational/tactical/analytical skills, Solution selling experience and SaaS GTM. That went well, next round was an in-person (1 hour) with hiring manager, went on to talk about where I see VMware's biggest opportunities for adoption/hurdles around SaaS and how I would go about it. Really enjoyed the face to face. Last round was another in-person with hiring manager and his boss, was tasked with charting my vision/journey for VMware SaaS Cloud GTM (1/1.5 hrs), created a detailed/structured deck and walked through journey with essentials (mission critical), metrics etc. Had a back and forth around some key ideas and how we would execute. Very enjoyable. Everyone was very nice and friendly. Great experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about incentivizing workforce/salesforce to sell SaaS products?   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Cambridge, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

July 1st week - Staffing coordinator contacted on phone about position in Cambridge, MA
    2nd week - Hacker rank coding challenge with 5 UI and 1 algorithm question
    4th - onsite interview. 3 technical rounds, 1 round of their product presentation, lunch with hiring manager.

Staffing coordinator was very prompt with her response and the team was very friendly!

Interview Questions

• Javascript, angularJS questions,
      Standard DS and algos questions and
      Questions about past experience on resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was above average. I didn't negotiate.

MTS2 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

2 Phone Interviews followed by 1 day onsite.
    At onsite, there was interview with manager. This was followed by 2 rounds of technical interview, Lunch Interview with a manager, 1 more round of technical interview.
    Then there was a meeting with HR.

The questions were about coding in c++, and algorithms, OS, distributed systems and networking.

Interview Questions

• Nothing tough. Coding and algorithm questions.   1 Answer

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Initial introduction calls with a recruiting agent, technical phone screen, then an onsite interview event. VMware is pretty relaxed: during the interview event they let you have 15 minutes between interviewers and let you kinda ramble unsupervised through their offices. After I got an initial offer, they invited me back to their campus to have lunch with my future bosses/managers.

The process was made longer because during the process my recruiting/hiring contact quit VMware so the new person was completely lost.

The interview itself was awkward because multiple interviewers asked me how and why I'd possibly put job experience before getting a college degree onto my CV. This is the moment I decided I don't want to work here, no matter how much money I'm offered - ie very early in the interview process this employer went from "want to work here" to "will use them to boost other offers."

Interview Questions

• Implement a singleton   Answer Question
    • How does Spring initialize private fields with no constructor args and no setters?   1 Answer
    • In a non-directed graph, count the number of subgraphs (not necessarily fully connected, just subgraphs in general). Discuss why and how you'd optimize this given different number of vertices, different density/completion of the graph, etc...   Answer Question
    • Design a network file system: which operations of a POSIX file system are you going to support, how would you organize the hardware, how does the communication work, how are the files stored, etc... discuss all design decisions in terms of the CAP theorem, be able to spot hot-spots and single points of failure.   Answer Question

The interviewer attitude seemed very toxic and I had no intention of working near such people. Line and upper management was cool, but you don't get to work with them daily.

Network Virtualization Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO) in July 2016.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter for a phone screen and was invited for an onsite interview, in the following week. 1st round was a technical interview with two current team members. 2nd round was with current manager. Both rounds went smoothly and I was under no pressure at any time. Interviewers were friendly and made sure that I was comfortable. Was Offered the job, the next day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered what I was expecting. So did not negotiate.

Director - IAM Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online with Resume. Interviewed by 10 internal stakeholders who had vested interest in the success of the position. Several interviews not in person due to geography of the company.

Interview Questions

• Key factors in creating a successful IAM program   1 Answer

Global Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview was one of the best I've had. Basically two techs took me into a conference room where I was presented with three hypothetical trouble calls. I solved 2 out of three with the third falling victim to myopia. Following that was a very casual interview with the hiring manager. I left with a positive, almost glowy feeling about the whole thing.

The next week the recruiter told me I would receive an offer the following week. The following week I was again told I would have an offer by the end of the week. It wasn't until a week after that I was told there was a mistake and that I wouldn't be receiving an offer. The recruiter wasted 3 weeks of my time during which I postponed other interviews because I would really have liked to work there.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with coworker conflict?   1 Answer