VMware Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 11, 2017

3.2

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied to an open position online and was contacted approximately two days later by a recruiter. Basic phone screen questions: tell me about your background, why do you want to leave your current company, and why VMware?

I was set up with the hiring manager and spoke over the phone. Several days later I was asked to skype with a director and another analyst that would have been my peer. A couple days after that a different recruiter reached out and set up a final interview via Skype with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• As other people have mentioned there is a lot of resume specific questions. I specifically was asked about the systems I had experience with (SAP and Hyperion).

The questions outside of those based off your resume are just typical behavioral interview questions. Nothing that was out of left field as long as you practiced those types of questions and have some examples in mind.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

All day, multiple phases, but felt like it could end abruptly after each phase. Talked with an assortment of managers, and also a couple of senior engineers. I sat for 3 morning interviews, was taken to lunch (not sure if this is normal), and then sat for 3 afternoon interviews. Each interview was different. One person gave me a written programming test, another did a thought experiment, another asked me to whiteboard the solution to a programming challenge, another asked me to diagram the internals of an application framework.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe the internal mechanism involved in the Ruby implementation of enumerables. This seemed to be an off-the-cuff question, flowing from a discussion of various languages, and their strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Really fast process. First start with online assignment in Hackerrank, then recruiter reached back, taking me straight to the headquarter at Palo Alto, three rounds onsite. Finally followed an on campus trip. The feedback was right on next Monday.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

4 Interviews with a whiteboard on corporate solution being last step. Met with direct line manager, regional manager & Regional VP. The hardest part was reviewing the 45 min whiteboard video and presenting that back to the team convincingly.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

interview was good. I met with 5 people. except for 1 person everyone else was good. The 1 person who was weird was the one I ended up working with all the time. Once I told them I had another offer, they called me in for an interview within 2 days and made an offer in another 2 days. IT hires only Indians. you have a terrific chance of getting hired if you are a north Indian or better still Punjabi or even better Sardar

Interview Questions

• About my work experience. Some technical, some functional questions and some behavioral. Quite a few alums from Cisco, Netapp and Juniper   1 Answer

Negotiation

I could have negotiated more. At the time I did not have much experience with negotiation. I should have asked for a higher title

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied through referral and the interview process took 3 weeks. The recruiters for some reason never respond after the interview process is complete. I would suggest focusing on pricing, product launch, and content development approach questions.

Interview Questions

• Vmware entered into open source few years back and this is what I was asked in reference to that.
      How would you decide whether a feature should be launched in community or enterprise version?   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

2 phone screens, and then 5 rounds of on-site interviews.

Signed NDA, so cannot reveal the actual questions. But make sure you cover the following topics:
    - Operating Systems
    - Linked Lists
    - Trees
    - Graphs

First phone screen involved a coding question. Second phone screen was on system design.
    On-site interviews included questions from the topics mentioned above. The interviewers are very friendly and professional. The Palo Alto campus is amazing, and so are the VMware perks!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Denver, CO) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a multi interview process which included a technical interview. The staff that interviewed me were very professional and knowledgable of the company as a whole as the specific position I was being recruited for.
    I was so happy with how things went, I have referred multiple people since then.

Senior Member of Technical Staff - User Interface Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

A recruited contacted me on linkedIn and scheduled a telephonic tech screen which went great and i was called for a onsite interview. For some reason, the interviewers did not ask me any User Interface related question (HTML5, CSS, JS, Angularjs etc). They were hell bent on binary tree, linked list etc. I did my best to answer the questions but I did put across my concern about the non-relevant questions being asked. I come from a different school of thought where i dont think UI Engineers need to really know Data structures.

As expected it was a rejection :)

Benefits Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

From the phone screen to the job offer the entire process was highly professional, organized and focused. The offshore sourcing team partnered very well with US hiring manager during the salary negotiations. I met with senior team members as well as peers

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work in a fast paced environment.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The initial salary quoted was in line with the local market and based on home state, years of experience.