VMware Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

3.4

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in May 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. The initial HR round was pretty good. Got selected for the first Phone Technical round. I felt the interview was okay. I was asked to code in my preferred language and was also asked about my projects on resume. It was about 45 mins call but got extended for another 15mins. I had a great time learning about the project that they were working on.

Interview Questions

• BST insertion, deletion and find a node. Complexity(worst and best case analysis) in finding a node.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I was referred for the position by a friend. The phone screen went well and the hiring manager invited me to visit them onsite. The recruitment team worked with me to confirm a date and made arrangements for my stay and travel.

Had 6 45 minute technical interviews which included white boarding algorithm and coding questions. Lunch interview was with the hiring manager, and I talked to the group's director later in the day. Interviews with the hiring manager and the director were mostly behavioral and were focused on getting to know me. All the interviewers were professional and friendly.

The recruiter contacted me within a couple of days to let me know that the feedback had been positive. The recruiter later confirmed that the team was intending to make me an offer which I accepted. They worked with me on the joining date and other logistics from there on.

Interview Questions

• Know your coding and algorithms very well. Questions are fairly language independent. Technical questions are challenging but can be solved in the 45 minute slots. The interviewers are friendly and will help you if you are stuck somewhere. Be honest when you answer behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Got a good offer right off the bat. Didn't negotiate much.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Phone screen followed by onsite and presentation. Asked to come in for another round afterwards and/or to work on a "open source" project. At this point, I had already spent two days on the interview process between preparing the presentation, the on site and phone screen so I cut my losses and declined to move forward. The whole process felt disrespectful of my time and arrogant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was supposed to be interviewed for "Python Developer - NSX Management Plane - Staff Engineer". To start with, the recruiter sent me a link to HackerRank online coding challenge. After preparing for the challenge, when I opened the link, I found that there was no option to select "Python" as my language of choice (even though the position was that of a Python developer).

So I sent out an email to the recruiter asking for a new link where I can select Python. However, it seems that the recruiter blatantly ignored my emails. I tried reaching out to him on LinkedIn and also through HackerRank (where I had to create a support ticket for the issue) but I got no response at all.

It is extremely disappointing that a reputed company like VMware can be so ruthless to experienced candidates who really want to go through the interview process but are being treated as if the company does not care about them. I understand that they might have already found another candidate. But is it so hard for their recruiter to communicate what exactly was the situation?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Most frustrating interview experience!! Recruiter reached me on LinkedIn. Finished a 45-minute technical challenge in 25 mins and all pass. Scheduled an on-site 3 weeks later. Four rounds of
    technical interviews, mostly focused on algorithms, data structures, and distributed systems. In the end, the recruiter came to tell me that "all feedback are very positive", "we will get back to you soon".
    Within the first two weeks, my first two follow-up inquiries still got warm reply, "Hi, please be patient,
     some one will reach out to you soon ... ". Since then, it's all silence and no reples whatsoever as if the entire company had disappeared from the earth!!

I understand that in this world, everyone has a right of choice. It is OK to reject me, but please do not keep giving me false hopes, and if I had taken the time and energy to come for an onsite interview, and did it well, please give me a reason why you turned away! Leaving me completely in the dark just appears to be so rude and arrogant!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Really fast process. First start with online assignment in Hackerrank, then recruiter reached back, taking me straight to the headquarter at Palo Alto, three rounds onsite. Finally followed an on campus trip. The feedback was right on next Monday.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

2 phone screens, and then 5 rounds of on-site interviews.

Signed NDA, so cannot reveal the actual questions. But make sure you cover the following topics:
    - Operating Systems
    - Linked Lists
    - Trees
    - Graphs

First phone screen involved a coding question. Second phone screen was on system design.
    On-site interviews included questions from the topics mentioned above. The interviewers are very friendly and professional. The Palo Alto campus is amazing, and so are the VMware perks!

Application

Interview

I attended the university recruiting event, one code challenge (3 hours) and then 6 rounds site interviews, mostly related to the team they wanted to hire. Linked List loop check, middle of linked list ...

Interview Questions

• coding question mostly threads and string manipulation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I interviewed as a new college grad. I had a round of telephonic interview which discussed my current work and a simple linked list related programming question. Then they called me for the onsite interviews. It had 5 rounds of interviews. I also did a presentation on my work. The whole process took one full day. I had to wait for a couple of weeks before the offer was made.

Interview Questions

• The questions focused on standard algorithms and data structures: graph manipulation, linked lists. Two interviews were system design related (key value store, bottleneck detection). Finally, there was a lunch interview where I was asked distributed systems related questions (consistency models).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

First telephonic round: 1 hour technical.They will test you on DS,Algorithm,Java.
    Onsite round:4 interviews 45 min each back to back.Highly technical.Detailed but not very tough.I could answer most of them.Lot of whiteboard problem solving.You will be tested on data structure,algorithms,java,concurrency in java,projects on resume,design pattern and database.

Interview Questions

• Implement a queue using stack.   2 Answers
    • Rotate elements in an array to right k times.   5 Answers
    • Design Pattern:Singleton   Answer Question
    • Java questions:static keyword,OOPs concept,synchronization   Answer Question
    • Insert an element in a sorted circular linked list.   1 Answer