VMware Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

3.2

238 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Lead Portfolio Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I submitted my resume online and was contacted by the recruiter the next day. The recruiter was nice and efficient although they were located in Ireland which made the logistics difficult especially since there were a lot of last minute changes and reschedules.

Overall, the process was very time consuming and lasted 3 months. VMware is demanding of the interviewees and not too considerate of the persons time. The process started with the recruiter phone screen. I then had a phone interview with the hiring manager. Next was an onsite panel and individual interviews. After that I prepared a presentation for a different onsite panel. Next I finally met with 2 VPs. All along this process I was being told that everything was positive and an offer would be coming. VMware seemed to be confused. They would request immediate meetings and then reschedule them. At one point, I waited for over a month, through many rescheduled meetings to meet with a VP. In total I drove down to Palo Alto three times.

In hindsight, I wouldn't go thru this type of process again. There are other very strong companies in the bay area who have their act together and do not waste the candidates time like this.

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Long, lengthy process, but this was more related to the hiring manager. 2 months, 3 rounds and 15 interviewers. Interviewed with potential colleagues and team members and questions varied wildly.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you worked collaboratively on a specific project and what were some of the challenges you faced?   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I was referred for the position by a friend. The phone screen went well and the hiring manager invited me to visit them onsite. The recruitment team worked with me to confirm a date and made arrangements for my stay and travel.

Had 6 45 minute technical interviews which included white boarding algorithm and coding questions. Lunch interview was with the hiring manager, and I talked to the group's director later in the day. Interviews with the hiring manager and the director were mostly behavioral and were focused on getting to know me. All the interviewers were professional and friendly.

The recruiter contacted me within a couple of days to let me know that the feedback had been positive. The recruiter later confirmed that the team was intending to make me an offer which I accepted. They worked with me on the joining date and other logistics from there on.

Interview Questions

• Know your coding and algorithms very well. Questions are fairly language independent. Technical questions are challenging but can be solved in the 45 minute slots. The interviewers are friendly and will help you if you are stuck somewhere. Be honest when you answer behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Got a good offer right off the bat. Didn't negotiate much.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

4 Rounds: Online Coding challenge and 3 Onsite Interview

Coding challenge was easy.
    On-site interviews were difficult. One of the interviewer made me feel very nervous. The interviewer expected perfect and most optimized answers. Second best answer and an idea of the best one does not work.

Engineering Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The process took a couple weeks. I was eventually asked to come in and talk with several members of the team. Everyone was really nice and helpful. However, they were looking for someone with more experience.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was supposed to be interviewed for "Python Developer - NSX Management Plane - Staff Engineer". To start with, the recruiter sent me a link to HackerRank online coding challenge. After preparing for the challenge, when I opened the link, I found that there was no option to select "Python" as my language of choice (even though the position was that of a Python developer).

So I sent out an email to the recruiter asking for a new link where I can select Python. However, it seems that the recruiter blatantly ignored my emails. I tried reaching out to him on LinkedIn and also through HackerRank (where I had to create a support ticket for the issue) but I got no response at all.

It is extremely disappointing that a reputed company like VMware can be so ruthless to experienced candidates who really want to go through the interview process but are being treated as if the company does not care about them. I understand that they might have already found another candidate. But is it so hard for their recruiter to communicate what exactly was the situation?

GTM Strategy Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Process took almost exactly 4 weeks from online application submittal to final round of interview(s) and decision. Applied online via LinkedIn, received follow-up confirmation from the HRBP a few days later and we were off from there, had a brief follow-up call with her, next step was a round of Skype of interviews with hiring manager for 30 mins, was asked some of the usual past experience and level of interest questions. Went a little deeper with some specific go-to-market questions. Passed that round and went on to meet the team (4 people in total) via Skype again, was asked questions related to detailed operational/tactical/analytical skills, Solution selling experience and SaaS GTM. That went well, next round was an in-person (1 hour) with hiring manager, went on to talk about where I see VMware's biggest opportunities for adoption/hurdles around SaaS and how I would go about it. Really enjoyed the face to face. Last round was another in-person with hiring manager and his boss, was tasked with charting my vision/journey for VMware SaaS Cloud GTM (1/1.5 hrs), created a detailed/structured deck and walked through journey with essentials (mission critical), metrics etc. Had a back and forth around some key ideas and how we would execute. Very enjoyable. Everyone was very nice and friendly. Great experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about incentivizing workforce/salesforce to sell SaaS products?   Answer Question

MTS2 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

2 Phone Interviews followed by 1 day onsite.
    At onsite, there was interview with manager. This was followed by 2 rounds of technical interview, Lunch Interview with a manager, 1 more round of technical interview.
    Then there was a meeting with HR.

The questions were about coding in c++, and algorithms, OS, distributed systems and networking.

Interview Questions

• Nothing tough. Coding and algorithm questions.   1 Answer

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Initial introduction calls with a recruiting agent, technical phone screen, then an onsite interview event. VMware is pretty relaxed: during the interview event they let you have 15 minutes between interviewers and let you kinda ramble unsupervised through their offices. After I got an initial offer, they invited me back to their campus to have lunch with my future bosses/managers.

The process was made longer because during the process my recruiting/hiring contact quit VMware so the new person was completely lost.

The interview itself was awkward because multiple interviewers asked me how and why I'd possibly put job experience before getting a college degree onto my CV. This is the moment I decided I don't want to work here, no matter how much money I'm offered - ie very early in the interview process this employer went from "want to work here" to "will use them to boost other offers."

Interview Questions

• Implement a singleton   Answer Question
    • How does Spring initialize private fields with no constructor args and no setters?   1 Answer
    • In a non-directed graph, count the number of subgraphs (not necessarily fully connected, just subgraphs in general). Discuss why and how you'd optimize this given different number of vertices, different density/completion of the graph, etc...   Answer Question
    • Design a network file system: which operations of a POSIX file system are you going to support, how would you organize the hardware, how does the communication work, how are the files stored, etc... discuss all design decisions in terms of the CAP theorem, be able to spot hot-spots and single points of failure.   Answer Question

The interviewer attitude seemed very toxic and I had no intention of working near such people. Line and upper management was cool, but you don't get to work with them daily.

Director - IAM Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online with Resume. Interviewed by 10 internal stakeholders who had vested interest in the success of the position. Several interviews not in person due to geography of the company.

Interview Questions

• Key factors in creating a successful IAM program   1 Answer