VMware Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 14, 2017

3.3

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

2 phone screens, and then 5 rounds of on-site interviews.

Signed NDA, so cannot reveal the actual questions. But make sure you cover the following topics:
    - Operating Systems
    - Linked Lists
    - Trees
    - Graphs

First phone screen involved a coding question. Second phone screen was on system design.
    On-site interviews included questions from the topics mentioned above. The interviewers are very friendly and professional. The Palo Alto campus is amazing, and so are the VMware perks!

Senior Member of Technical Staff - User Interface Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

A recruited contacted me on linkedIn and scheduled a telephonic tech screen which went great and i was called for a onsite interview. For some reason, the interviewers did not ask me any User Interface related question (HTML5, CSS, JS, Angularjs etc). They were hell bent on binary tree, linked list etc. I did my best to answer the questions but I did put across my concern about the non-relevant questions being asked. I come from a different school of thought where i dont think UI Engineers need to really know Data structures.

As expected it was a rejection :)

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied through referral and the interview process took 3 weeks. The recruiters for some reason never respond after the interview process is complete. I would suggest focusing on pricing, product launch, and content development approach questions.

Interview Questions

• Vmware entered into open source few years back and this is what I was asked in reference to that.
      How would you decide whether a feature should be launched in community or enterprise version?
      Answer Question

Benefits Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

From the phone screen to the job offer the entire process was highly professional, organized and focused. The offshore sourcing team partnered very well with US hiring manager during the salary negotiations. I met with senior team members as well as peers

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work in a fast paced environment.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The initial salary quoted was in line with the local market and based on home state, years of experience.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Started with a phone screening, then a face to face meeting with the recruiter, hiring manager and then someone from their team. Took about 2-3 weeks total to interview based on availability. Once that happened it was another 2 weeks for the employment/background check.

Interview Questions

• Asked alot of "what would you do", give me an example of when you came across this...scenario based questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary was negotiable

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

1. Telephonic interview, followed by onsite interview by 5 people
    2. During on-site interview 3 out 5 interviewer asked programming questions, on white board
    3. 2 senior management member took the interview, asking current and future road map questions
    4. The offer came in 2 days after the onsite
    5. Recruiter was very sharp and highly skilled in negotiation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Went for a non technical position, Met with recruiter at job fair, was contacted a week later for a phone screening. From there I did a phone interview with HR and then an interview with the Hiring manager. After that I was asked to come interview at the VMware campus with 2 of the team members.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter, followed by another by the hiring manager. Interviews were held in Palo Alto. Interviews were scheduled well and there were no hiccups.
    It was clear they were evaluating not only knowledge and experience, but fit with the team.
    Recruiter kept me well informed post-interviews.
    I'm rating the interview as "difficult" because they explored my experience and knowledge, but not in a negative way. Don't expect to get by on personality alone, you have to know your field/job.

Interview Questions

• You are responsible for a product in which you want to drive growth. Explain in detail how this could be accomplished.   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Propel Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

For the hackerrank challenge, there were 3 coding tests. In the first one, 8 codes were asked to be solved in 60 mins. Basic data structures, nothing is a surprise. 2nd and 3rd were based on networks and data analytics respectively. Both were coding questions aimed to solve a network problem and data analytic problem. These were for 90 min each.

There were 3 onsite interviews. Importance is given to networks, cloud based questions, and scalability. Be sure to give a solid answer to "Why Vmware". The standard is very high so you've to be on your game.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Met 2 managers and 2 engineers from 2 different teams. 1 engineer was friendly and gave hints for the coding quiz. Another engineer was busy working on his laptop when I was doing the white board coding. I felt it was a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• There is a sorted list of integers. Write a function to compute square of each element and generate a new sorted list.   1 Answer