VMware Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Product Manager Interview Questions

3.8

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter, followed by another by the hiring manager. Interviews were held in Palo Alto. Interviews were scheduled well and there were no hiccups.
It was clear they were evaluating not only knowledge and experience, but fit with the team.
Recruiter kept me well informed post-interviews.
I'm rating the interview as "difficult" because they explored my experience and knowledge, but not in a negative way. Don't expect to get by on personality alone, you have to know your field/job.

Interview Questions

• You are responsible for a product in which you want to drive growth. Explain in detail how this could be accomplished.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

First round was with two different people. The first asked the usual behavioral questions, walk me through your resume, etc. The second asked specific questions about vmware to test my knowledge of virtualization, cloud computing, and vmware's product line. The second round was with a senior product manager, who asked me mini case questions. The third round was with two senior product managers, mostly behavioral questions and then asking about where I would like to work within the company. I got the sense that this portion of the interview was to determine where within the organization I would be a good fit. Throughout each round, I was given ample time (typically more than 10 to 15 minutes) to ask questions. I enjoyed all the conversations I had with my interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between public and private cloud? What is hybrid cloud? What is a virtual machine? What are all the advantages of a virtual machine? What is a product that you would improve? How would you improve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

One interview with HR staffer to determine fit, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Phone interview was challenging - very focused on SDLC knowledge and experience. Third interview was follow-up in person with member of development team - mostly just a conversation and follow-up questions from my internship. Really nice guy.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware in March 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume though Linkedin which redirects to the VMware job site (not great). create a job agent, they update frequently. I also suggest reaching out to one of the recruiters over linked in it will place you front and center.
    After initial call with the recruiter (Areas of strength, what jobs I'm looking for and salary ask) you get a call schedule with a hiring manager.
    Expect 2 phone screens (at least). the phone screens are targeted to get a feel for what your strengths are and how do you work with other people. be sensitive to the fact that VMware is engineering led and there are a lot of players, so coming across as a nice person who can get people to want to collaborate is key. it also helps to ask the hiring managers what type of experience he is looking for, the job descriptions are not accurate and missing a lot of info. on-site interview loop (I had two sperate ones): get to VMware at least 30 minutes before. parking is complicated and the campus is not easy to navigate. dress up, VMware is not a jeans company (Suite ok but no tie). You will be picked up from the lobby and be sited in a conference room with people changing places every 45 minutes. make sure to get the interviewers names from the recruiter and look them up on linked in. Expect PM, PMM, Engineering and your hiring manager boss. most question will focus on how you handle work situation, convicts, PM processes and engineering relationships. make sure to have and answer and not come across as a lone ranger - VMware is group driven and engineering are strong so make them comfortable. some interviews in the on-site will be over the phone as VMware has many sites and several campus areas. expect interviews to be rescheduled several times. also, have a presentation ready (3-5 slides) PM present a lot in VMware. Do your research on the specific market and players in the space, but don't come across as "know it all", ask questions mentioning fact you researched. Also, know your agile development methodology - VMware is big on agile, bit not all groups are there so ask first.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a bout a time in your career where you made a mistake. what was the mistake, what where the results and what did you learn from the experience?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

The Recruiter asked for my current comp. level. He came back with an offer that was 15% higher than what I was making, but the RSU and Bonus didn't compare to what I had to lose by leaving. I asked for an additional $15K, he asked for 2 days to get approvals and I received the extra $15K. it seems that they can adjust RSU, Cache bonus and relocation, and RSU is the easiest to get more off as it long term (3 years).

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

It was a very open conversation. In the middle there were some specific questions around marketing and product management.

I had two rounds with Group Product Managers.

Interview Questions

• What decisions you would have made differently as a Product Manager with an MBA degree then what you did w/o an MBA.   Answer Question