VMware SENIOR MEMBER of TECHNICAL STAFF Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware SENIOR MEMBER of TECHNICAL STAFF Interview Questions

Updated Jan 22, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Interview process was quite smooth and they were happy to schedule the interview as per my availability.
received the call from hiring manager itself (even before hr) and got the first round scheduled.
In total 5 interviews talking about technical concepts to design questions and even some hands on little bit. overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• can't write the full question, being too long, but it all boils down to finding path in a tree and using it in another tree.
    merging, sorting etc,
    some practical js/css questions,
    some java inheritance overloading/overriding questions,
    most of the questions were js fundamentals..

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware (New York, NY).

Interview

3 rounds of on-site interviews, they focus on algorithms very much, and also the concept to design software. There is a very important interview with a global architect, he has a simple question about software design first, based on your answers, he dive deep with you

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The recruiter sent a link for the Hacker Rank challenge with two coding and few multiple choice questions. After reviewing the results I was called to an onsite interview. There were four 45 minutes interview: 3 coding and 1 design round. There were some question related to networking and OS fundamentals.

Interview Questions

• Q: Design an elevator system.
      Q: Given an array of positive integers, determine if there are consecutive numbers in the array that can be summed up to a target value.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

1. Telephonic interview, followed by onsite interview by 5 people
    2. During on-site interview 3 out 5 interviewer asked programming questions, on white board
    3. 2 senior management member took the interview, asking current and future road map questions
    4. The offer came in 2 days after the onsite
    5. Recruiter was very sharp and highly skilled in negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website and hr had discussed about my experience and after few months later recruiter had came up with some requirement. Initial round was Hacker rank program with 90 minutes and after went through that another phone interview round on hacker rank again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

This is what I went through-
    1.Recruiter reaches out and sends you a hackerrank invite
    2. 1hr 40 min on Hackerrank, 2 coding questions on Algo & DS. Did great , got the max score
    3. Another technical phone screen with Vmware interviewer on hackerrank. Coding on the tool which interviewer can see. 30 min 2 coding questions. All of which focus on how well you know JAVA and built in functions. All that is cared is you know JAVA

Advice - Cram JAVA and built in methods

Interview Questions

• Basic JAVA operations , file processing, reading , regularEx, Datatype conversions. In short things that you don't use on a day to day basis   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

This was an agile interview process. One of the recruiters connected with me on LinkedIn and explained about the team and what they have to offer and tried to see if I was interested.
    I expressed interest and had a call with her.

The next step was an online coding challenge at HackerRank consisting of 5 problems that needed to be solved within 1 hour 45 minutes. I solved 3 of them completely and the 4th one was marginally correct with few test cases failing. I didn't have time for the last problem.

After evaluating the team wanted to interview me at their office and invited me over. I was told that the interview will be agile and the feedback will be cumulative, with about 4 rounds. After each round of 45 minutes, the interviewer will discuss the feedback with other interviewers for about 15 minutes and they would take the decision whether to interview for the next round then and there.

I had 3 rounds and was told that they thought the skils don't completely match after the 3rd round.
    The questions involved lots of coding on the whiteboard, the first two rounds were totally whiteboarding. In the 3rd round the discussion was around my experience and design.

Interview Questions

• Given a dependency matrix, find all the dependencies for a given set of inputs.
      Given a directory structure, read all the filenames.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware in October 2015.

Interview

One phone screen and online hacker rank test. Hacker rank test has 3 questions with half an hour each. phone screen is a passe.
    Hacker Rank test is horrible more than software engineering it tests your mathematical skills. Unless you know the answer there is no point in taking it.

Interview Questions

• 3 questions to be done in 1 hour. One of the question was a quadratic equation type and other one was of DP type. By the time compilation is done and test cases run time is over.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a horrible experience recently with the storage and disaster recovery team. The recruitment process was not professional. They had no clear process in their hiring. I had to do 1 phone round, 4 skype rounds(supposedly on site), 1 round with the hiring manager and then again I was called for another "real" on-site(4 rounds). Totally around 10 rounds.

I have to tell you, when you are interviewing someone who already works for another company(not a fresh college grad), he/she is reserving a lot of professional time to give the interview. Better respect their time.

The whole process took around 1.5 months. I should mention this, the hiring manager had no professional ethics. He sounded very condescending and had no respect for the candidates time(He missed my interview schedule twice and did not sound apologetic about it at all).

I was not offered the role but I am very glad I did not get to work with a horrible boss. His teammates very lovely and nice though. I have to be honest. They seemed much intelligent and pleasant to work with.

My advice: Plan to take a lot of time out of your work, if you are planning to interview with them, because they take your time for granted.

Interview Questions

• Questions around BST, a lot of linux based questions, what happens when you turn a computer on?
      they were more keen on multi-threaded programming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

online test with 3 problems to be solved in 1 hour followed by onsite 4 interviews. Interviews were well organized and interviewer were polite and willing to help if required. It was a good experience. After interview though HR updated me that my technical interviews were good but my work experience doesn't seem to be relevant for their requirement. During interview however we didn't talk much about my work experience (only ~5 min in the first interview) and all questions were related to problem solving skills. I requested for another interview via email to discuss my work experience. They took about 20 days to say they have done a deep dive assessment and I am not the right fit for their requirement. If my work experience was not a relevant for the opportunity (which is not the case I know) then they should not have invited me for onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• 1. find k max numbers from n numbers
      2. string anagrams