VMware Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

3.2

236 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter. Took about a week to set up a time for a technical phone screen with an Engineer. A coding puzzle using hacker rank.
    There was a second technical phone screen with an architect and discussion and a small puzzle. Invited for an onsite with half day of interview with the team.

Interview Questions

• Given a tree, how would determine if it is a binary search tree ?   2 Answers
    • design a thread pool class, given an initial number - n (say), start n threads and each threads should be able to receive a task and execute it.   Answer Question
    • Given a linked list, group the odd numbered nodes ( not value) and even numbered nodes together.   Answer Question

Security Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

A total of seven rounds of interview ,each 45 min long. The recruiter was good and very helpful with questions. A lot of the questions were repetitive across the in-person interviews but it gives you the opportunity to understand the work culture across various teams.

Of the seven interviews, one interview did not go well and it appeared to me that the person had decided against my resume even before we met because after the initial hello-why the change question, he remarked that 'This is not the profile I was looking for. Recruiters don't understand security. I ask for a security person and they bring in people with system hardening, encryption., data security....that's not security, you know. '
    The recruiter eventually got back to me and said I was not being hired because I did not have 'methodology 1' experience. I had not mentioned this skill in the resume .

While I respect the company's right to hire who they think is the perfect candidate, I believe that they could have avoided calling me in for a second round of in-person interview after a 1.5 hour commute one-way , just to inform me that my background was not what they wanted in the first place.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer drew the figure of a messenger system and asked me to generate a threat model.   1 Answer
    • How good are you in interacting with different business groups? Can you give some examples?   1 Answer
    • What metrics would you provide in a monthly meeting with the head of unit?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Two phone screens with HR and a technical staff. What the HR mentioned that could happen next did not happen at all. Very bad experiences. Would not recommend to you guys at alll.

QA Engineer (QE- MTS) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Easy phone interview, then called for onsite. At onsite, the first interviewer had printed 3 pages full of questions to ask. Seriously?? I have attended a lot of interviews, first time in my life I saw someone printing the questions and asking like a rapid-fire round. Asked more than 50-60 questions in 45 mins. Vmware should teach their employees how to interview. Next 3 interviewers including hiring manager were fine, again the last one was grilling more on keywords in resume. He asked questions which he also dint know the answers. After 2 weeks the HR shared the feedback, which was NO.

Interview Questions

• All theoretical questions on Python like what is decorator, yield, generator, list, tuple etc.
      Basic networking questions diff bt router & switch, TCP/UDP, routing, linux CLI commands etc.
      How APR works
      Test cases of an elevator.
      Describe operation of BGP, OSPF, RIP.
      Grilling on each keyword in resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

First round Hackerrank: Extremely difficult questions. I've given a lot of interviews elsewhere including the top tech giants, vmware questions were more difficult. If someone could crack those questions in the given timeframe, they surely will crack all the tech giants interviews.
    Don't see glassdoor and give the test. The questions are very very different and difficult.

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Standard Interview Process, Recruiter got in touch with me. Gave a HackerRank Test and after that setup an onsite, consisting of 5 onsite rounds. The team was excellent. And the interview was focused on candidate's potential and problem solving skills. But good things end here. As others mentioned about the company, the HR treatment is horrible.

I got an email from the Recruiter mentioning that team liked me and want to move forward and she would like to talk to me to discuss next steps. But no meeting setup till next one week. After that, I asked if she want to talk and she called me after that. Explained that roles are been put on hold. So far so good. After that no updates for 2 months, Sent multiple emails, but no response. Tried to call her, but the recruiter won't pick up and never heard back from her. Sent multiple reminders but no response. So,as others said its better to stay away if you value your time and look for other companies. This one just wasted my time.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward. Two technical interviews focused on worked experience, algorithms, problem solving and Java. The recruiter are very friendly, got rejected by one team by recruiter arranged an interview with other team.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

this is the simplest interview I ever been too....but the real problem is not the interview but the HR's.
    I interviewed twice in a month with different teams (NSBU and NSX) in Vmware, dammm simple interviews...but after the interview HR told me that they will revert back to me within a week, one HR even said after the interview that the team really like you and they want you onboard...but after that they never contacted me, I had tried sending them reminder email but no reply....VMware have horrible HR's....I would not recommend this company to anyone.....I don't care how busy there life is but its basic courtesy to reply...I hope vmware teach them basic "Human Resource" management, since they lack it horribly

Interview Questions

• add 1 + number given in linked list
      lca of bst   1 Answer

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The campus interview process was very simple and straightforward. I had three telephonic interviews in three weeks and had my offer in the fourth week. My first interview was with a Marketing Manager, second one with Line Manager and the final round with Marketing Director.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a well marketed product.   1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got Linkedin inmail from recruiter . gave hackeRank test, passed it, Then arranged phone screen , was easy as far as I feel . But since then no answers, I tried emailing to recruiters , calling them, left voice mails, no replies. Have no decency or manners reply back , give update. Total waste of time interviewing with them. Very bad recruiting experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Some hackerank coding question, producer consumer problem on phone, some basic java synchronization questions   Answer Question