VMware Senior Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 13, 2017

2.8

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware in July 2015.

Interview

Very haphazard and interviewers repeated the same questions multiple times
Also they were not pertinent to the job at hand and did not get a good feel for the job
Took too long to get the final offer

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Recruiter Phone screening. Hiring manager and 2 of his direct reports phone interviews then face to face with same 3 in office. Recruiter passed my name along to the hiring manager

Interview Questions

• Describe how you did 'x' in your previous job   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

What would you do in this scenario?

What do you like about this potential role?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Quick. less than a week. if you are not satisfied, ask for more. it will come.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Seattle, WA) in May 2010.

Interview

Interviewed with a group of 7 different individuals by phone and then also with a in-person visit to Palo Alto, CA.

Negotiation

Very good, negotiations went back and forth many times. Eventually had to pick what the most important factor was salary or title (I correctly focused on salary)

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Chennai (India)) in June 2016.

Interview

Poor with no set process or time schedule being met. They say that its urgent and want you to interview with few hours notice but spend weeks in getting back to you.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in April 2015.

Interview

The hiring process took about 8 weeks with around 10 discussions. Some in-person at VMWare office and few over teleconference. The discussions began with reporting manager (Director) of the role, followed by other Directors, Senior Directors and peers of this role. It finally concluded with reporting manager (second time) and VP. The evaluation was mainly on the roles and responsibilities called out for the job, evaluating relevant experience and thought process based on few situation based questions .
    All along, HR recruit managed schedule and explaining the offer details in the end.

Interview Questions

• What are your views on portfolio management?
      What are the top 2-3 expectations to be successful at this role?
      How do you manage professional growth of your team?
      What it takes to manage cross functional global team?
      If you are given just 15mins of time with senior leadership, how do you prepare yourself?
      What are your signature strengths?
      why you want to join VMWare? What do you know about VMWare?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in April 2015.

Interview

This is one of the lengthy process i ever had. There is no clear sight of what is happening. My first interview got scheduled in 1 months of time. There was no update and suddenly the HR scheduled a second round directly in another 4 weeks. I was completely blank about the status during this period. Post second round,the HR guys did not even bother to post a update and it went nowwhere only when i realized that the HR guys handling this left VMware. I was much positive about the interview but did not received any update till now. Organization interviewing for senior/key post should always follow well structure interview process.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle the poor performer in your team.   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frimley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Frimley, England (UK)) in June 2011.

Interview

Recruiter approached me via LinkedIn.
    Spoke to 6 different interviewers over the phone - with different Paolo Alto based teams.
    3 face to face interviews - with local people.

I think it is important for different teams to approve a candidate - so many of the interviews were quite repetitive. I guess they want to get "buy in" from as many people as possible. I tried to ensure that I tackled each new person as if they were the first person I was speaking to.

Interview Questions

• Typical functional and technical questions - no attempts to catch me out.
      Focus on previous experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

We negotiated a slight increase on the initial offer.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in June 2009.

Interview

Interviews taken by engineer and then managers. overall they maintain a decent level of questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Ask for more