VMware Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions

Interviews at VMware

3.4

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Technical - on par with bay-area's best. Very technical / in-depth discussions / past experience is the key. Algorithms / Data Structures / Typical Computer Science essentials. Essentially hands on coding will go a very very long way, keep writing code to ace the interview.

Interview Questions

• Solving some very complex puzzles in limited time.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Two Phone interviews followed by detailed technical interview in person. The interview was typical of top technical companies. Unlike google or facebook who dwell only on CS fundamentals, here they also go in depth on domain knowledge. Some focused primarily on coding questions. Many interviews were focused on what I have done and if I could provide details of my current work and broader picture of technologies used.

Interview Questions

• Details about exactly how storage systems worked at protocol level
      Many coding questions and solve problems on paper/board   2 Answers

Negotiation

Back in those days I could negotiate some RSUs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

VMWare has a very professional interview process. Their recruiters are top notch and will always keep you in the loop as to where you stand. They are also very friendly as well. With other companies sometimes you never hear back from anyone.

First there is an initial technical phone screen interview which lasts about 45 minutes or so.
    If you pass the phone interview they invite you onsite where you will be interviewing with at least three people. Each interviewer has one technical programming question which you are expected to code on a white board. This lasts around 45 minutes per interviewer. You may get a fourth interviewer added into the mix if they still don't have a good feel about you. (Most likely it's because you got 2 thumbs up and 1 thumb down) Be prepared to go back and study CS fundamentals because this is what they are looking for. stacks/hashtables/binary trees...etc as well as sorting algorithms such as mergesort/quicksort. If it's a "VMware hiring event" you have been invited to, you will encounter as little as three other candidates up to twenty who are interviewing at the same time. So don't be surprised with that.

Overall the experience was very positive.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers write a function so that all the even numbers are on the left side of the array and all the odd numbers are on the right side of the array.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

online test with 3 problems to be solved in 1 hour followed by onsite 4 interviews. Interviews were well organized and interviewer were polite and willing to help if required. It was a good experience. After interview though HR updated me that my technical interviews were good but my work experience doesn't seem to be relevant for their requirement. During interview however we didn't talk much about my work experience (only ~5 min in the first interview) and all questions were related to problem solving skills. I requested for another interview via email to discuss my work experience. They took about 20 days to say they have done a deep dive assessment and I am not the right fit for their requirement. If my work experience was not a relevant for the opportunity (which is not the case I know) then they should not have invited me for onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• 1. find k max numbers from n numbers
      2. string anagrams
      3. fibonacci series
      4. sort billions of numbers
      5. find nth prime
      6. 8 identical balls and find heavy ball using scale   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a horrible experience recently with the storage and disaster recovery team. The recruitment process was not professional. They had no clear process in their hiring. I had to do 1 phone round, 4 skype rounds(supposedly on site), 1 round with the hiring manager and then again I was called for another "real" on-site(4 rounds). Totally around 10 rounds.

I have to tell you, when you are interviewing someone who already works for another company(not a fresh college grad), he/she is reserving a lot of professional time to give the interview. Better respect their time.

The whole process took around 1.5 months. I should mention this, the hiring manager had no professional ethics. He sounded very condescending and had no respect for the candidates time(He missed my interview schedule twice and did not sound apologetic about it at all).

I was not offered the role but I am very glad I did not get to work with a horrible boss. His teammates very lovely and nice though. I have to be honest. They seemed much intelligent and pleasant to work with.

My advice: Plan to take a lot of time out of your work, if you are planning to interview with them, because they take your time for granted.

Interview Questions

• Questions around BST, a lot of linux based questions, what happens when you turn a computer on?
      they were more keen on multi-threaded programming.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

This is what I went through-
    1.Recruiter reaches out and sends you a hackerrank invite
    2. 1hr 40 min on Hackerrank, 2 coding questions on Algo & DS. Did great , got the max score
    3. Another technical phone screen with Vmware interviewer on hackerrank. Coding on the tool which interviewer can see. 30 min 2 coding questions. All of which focus on how well you know JAVA and built in functions. All that is cared is you know JAVA

Advice - Cram JAVA and built in methods

Interview Questions

• Basic JAVA operations , file processing, reading , regularEx, Datatype conversions. In short things that you don't use on a day to day basis   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Full day sit down with multiple engineers. Three coding interviews. Two behavioral interviews. Lunch with multiple engineers, and a concluding talk with the hiring manager and the director of the group.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website and hr had discussed about my experience and after few months later recruiter had came up with some requirement. Initial round was Hacker rank program with 90 minutes and after went through that another phone interview round on hacker rank again.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

1. Telephonic interview, followed by onsite interview by 5 people
    2. During on-site interview 3 out 5 interviewer asked programming questions, on white board
    3. 2 senior management member took the interview, asking current and future road map questions
    4. The offer came in 2 days after the onsite
    5. Recruiter was very sharp and highly skilled in negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

VMware only hires the top engineers in the industry, and their interviewers really knew their stuff. If you're confident you're among the top in the field, there's nothing that can prevent them from hiring you. Just come well-prepared.

Interview Questions

• No questions appeared too difficult for me because I was prepared. I would advise to interview at other companies before VMware just to gain experience. VMware doesn't ask you puzzles or give you coding problems that will take more than 10 minutes to solve. However, if you just feel lucky and decide to give it a try, you won't pass.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The salary was so good that I didn't have to negotiate. They were flexible on the start date.