VMware Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 6, 2017

3.3

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Jacksonville, FL) in November 2015.

Interview

It takes multiple round to complete the process. It starts with screening process. Some technical guy will call you to have technical discussion. They will give you some coding challenge online. This round will decide if you are being called for onsite interview or not.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Interviewer didn't show up. I was asked to give them 3 days they could set up an interview. I gave them 4 days. After the interview date was confirmed nobody called me at the time specified. Recruiter did asked phone or email.

Interview Questions

• no questions were asked because interviewer didn't show up.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware in July 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. I interviewed for Software engineer for performance group in VMware. The phone screen went on very well. I was invited for an onsite interview.

It was a full day interview. It started with an abstract performance measurement design question. After this I interviewed with few other engineers from the group. Typical tell me about your project and linked list reversal kind of questions. Then was with the manager. It did not go particularly very well. Asked about VM migration and performance issues. Whatever I said, the manager seemed have an expression on her face that acted as a negative feedback. After the interview, felt washed! Then was the lunch interview, where I was probed on synchronization techniques , locking and some tricky C questions. The rest of the day went very well with questions on mutl-threading, BST and performance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter from VMware who scheduled a phone interview with one of the engineers. The gentleman who called went straight to the interviewing, first asking me to identify all possible bugs within a given chunk of code and then asking various low level OS and some USB protocol questions. The interviewer was completely impersonal but did give me a few hints here and there. I was fortunate enough to get to see the feedback that the gentleman wrote after our conversation, according to which I didn't answer anything wrong but did not give the answer he expected.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Phone interview then one full day of rigorous technical interviewing with many different engineers and managers. Questioned in depth on all aspects of my interview and skill set as there was a need for any and all of the programming languages and other skills I had obtained to that point in my career.

Interview Questions

• In C, convert a base 8 number to base 10.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

Believe it or not, even after 2 months, this company hasn't (and perhaps will never) reimbursed my interview expenses. I have contacted them many times via email, and have been told "Your check would be mailed this week!". Needless to say, I cannot recommend this company to anyone.

Update: 11/9: finally received a check from vmware for my interview expenses.

Interview Questions

• given array of integers. find subsequence that yields highest sum.   Answer Question

substandard offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

This was an interview experience I had back in 2005. 1 phone screen with VMWare's HR recruiter, followed by 1 phone technical interview with a senior engineer, what I am working on now, why I want to leave my current company, etc. Then got down to business, Java questions: Memory Model, volatile, synchronized semantics.

Invited back to half-day onsite interview the following week. Tough 4.5 hours: each round was with a very senior member of the engineering team each with their own areas of expertise. C++ deep dive: struct vs class, virtual destructors, multiple inheritance, polymorphism, detecting memory leaks, he gave me some code and asked me if there's a bug in there. Algorithms deep dive: reverse a linked-list, find largest sub-sequence of an array and comment on Big-O of my implementation. XML deep dive: write XSLT code to do some XML parsing, XML Schema questions.

Invited back again the following week for onsite with engineering manager and director.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to have a Virtual Destructor in C++   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sofia (Bulgaria)

Application

I interviewed at VMware (Sofia (Bulgaria)) in February 2017.

Interview

Contacted via Linkedin, then communication over Skype and email.
    Interview with three engineers, 1 hour each, 3 consecutive hours. Then you wait several days and get results. By the way - if you have a friend there - you can apply by sending them a CV, and they'll get a 4-digit bonus.

Interview Questions

• Describe your recent assignments and responsibilities.
      The deeper understanding of the problem, environment, and the solution you show - the better.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)).

Interview

The process started sometime in early July 2016. The recruiter asked me that someone will call me for schedule the interview. A week gone but no response. After couple of follow up 1 round of technical discussion happened. I was confident because I answered all questions correctly. But no update from them again. When I followed up they said they will call for f2f rounds on the same day but no body called. 2 weeks passed. When I asked about updates they say they are waiting for approval from the technical team. Most unprofessional process.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

there was a Pre-Interview exercise test. After the test I was called for an onsite interview. There were 3 rounds. Most of the questions were based on your experience and the work you have done. Technical questions were mostly straightforward