VMware Senior Systems Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Senior Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at VMware

3.4

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware in August 2017.

Interview

I had a terrible interview experience with VMware. Like other candidates have posted, if you value your time and sanity, stay away from VMware. I applied online and got a call from VMware recruiter. I had 3 rounds of interview with hiring manager and senior manager which went good. After that, I was completely left in the dark for 7 weeks after my last round of interview. I did multiple follow ups but did not get any updates from VMware. After 7 weeks of follow ups and anxious wait, I was told they went with an internal candidate. Looks like I was a close favorite if it wasn't for the internal candidate. I understand the decision/outcome, but waiting weeks and weeks (after multiple rounds) to get any update is just not right, no matter how great the company is. I also understand hiring process is low priority for lot of managers, but when candidates prepare for hours and put in effort to interview, worst thing to do is leave them in the dark for such a long time. I don't know if its just my luck or company culture where managers have too much on their plate. One of the managers seemed so disinterested in interviewing from the start, he started yawning middle of the interview. He was apologetic when I had to call him out in friendly way. In the end, I felt like I wasted 2.5 months and the stress and anxiety was not worth it.

Interview Questions

• What values did you learn from your parents?
    What constructive criticism you have heard from your boss?
    Difference between HA, FT?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

The hiring process is similar to other large companies. You can start with a job posting, or more likely and helpful, is that you will be led to an opening by someone you know. The HR department also works considerably with recruiters. From there the process will vary by who is hiring you. Our interviews involved phone screening to see if it's worth continued conversations, and from there go to a long (all day) interview with many people. For our positions, this involved a significant amount of time doing technical presentations.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a very detailed and low level question on the subtle differences in behavior between proxy and byte code weaving mechanisms for implementing annotated behavior in Java classes.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Indianapolis, IN) in March 2013.

Interview

Several interviews with SE management and other Staff SEs. Panel meeting and presentation as well as Whiteboarding. More questions around Cloud Management and customer work over vSphere platform. Panelists and other SEs very cool and open with their feedback. Encouraged questioning on all areas of VMware. Overall a very good experience through the interview process, but be prepared with knowledge of all of the portfolio, and how they relate to a unified SDDC strategy.

Interview Questions

• Technical experience with VMW products. Sales experience with customers. Specific account questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Initial contact was made by vmware recruiter via LinkedIn for discussion. During the initial call, the recruiter established what they were looking for. Second call was with hiring manager to determine whether I was a good fit given my history, experience, and interests. Third call was technical screening by existing senior systems engineer. Onsite scheduled within days. Onsite was with manager and requires a presentation on a product given a customer scenario. I had to wait for them to interview 4 more candidates.

This was a pretty standard interview process. The following is what stands out specifically for vmware:

There is an emphasis on whether you really love vmware and it's products. This was not initially noticed by me until far later in the process but they really want you to have passion about their product and company.
    There is an emphasis in their hiring process to screen a wide pool of candidates due to their culture of cultivating diversity. They have a good balance of male to female staff in comparison to many tech companies in the valley. Points for not tooting their horn much about it.
    The most difficult part of the process was the mock customer presentation as I believed the scenario was lifted from actual customer requirements and you are graded/judged as you perform on everything from hand gestures to your choice of slides to how smooth you were in setting up the presentation.

Interview Questions

• They were all scenario/customer/client questions.   1 Answer

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VMware in February 2016.

Interview

HR begins the process by asking a candidate to fill out a questionnaire. This document asks for past salary information. Feel free to leave that blank. HR will not press you on that information. Be sure to fill out the rest of the information to the best of your ability.

I had four interviews. Two by managers and two by current engineers. The technical questions were fairly softball ones. This is a technical sales type position so the managers are looking to see how well you can present yourself and how well you fit into their team.

I've interviewed with VMware in the past and it was a bit tedious. I turned down one position and the other disappeared after the Dell buyout of EMC was announced. This time the interview process was like a breath of fresh air. It was fast with the three last interviews happening on the same day. An offer was made two days later.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about building relationships with your customers.   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of FUD and how you combat it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I normally negotiate for any position I apply for. However VM met my salary demands up front. I had no reason to negotiate at all. Just make sure you don't give them your current salary. Just be up front and let them know that you don't want to give away your negotiating position.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

There was a phone interview that was 1:1 with my hiring manager. After the phone interview was over the manager asked if we could have a face to face the next week just as a formality. He told me to put together a presentation to review. When i showed up it was a panel and it lasted over 2.5 hours. After some technical QA in the presentation the rest of the time was spent answering situation and conflict resolution questions.

Interview Questions

• There were multiple questions that there were no right answer. It was mostly trying to get you uncomfortable in front of other strangers to see how you respond.   1 Answer

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in March 2010.

Interview

Initial Telephonic Interview for communication

F2F - Would be probably (3 Times)

Few more telephonic interviews with higher management like - TL, Manager. Senior Manager, Director

Interview Questions

• Most of them are scenario based and would take your experience to answer them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was very formal and they would go to any distance to gather talent.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware in June 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by a headhunter through an employee referral. 2 interview (one technical, one with my future manager)

Interview Questions

• how do you think the cloud will evolve within the next 5 years?   Answer Question

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at VMware in January 2009.

Interview

Was contacting by a head hunter. Did 4 interviews on face 2 face in a very short period of time (1 week). The contract took 3 months to arrive but it respected the initial discussions. The interviews included the manager of this position, the country manager, the sales manager and the channel manager.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

2 telephonnic rounds - Technical rounds lasted for about 1 hour easch with storage network and vmware basics
    2 managerial rounds face to face and VC attitude and discussion current customer which i have worked with

1 HR round