VMware Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 5, 2017

3.2

76 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware in October 2016.

Interview

Taken an online assessment, and then had an on-campus interview with two software engineers of the company. Was provided with both object-oriented programming questions and also given some questions in regards to solving a real world problem.

Interview Questions

• Implement a data structure that keeps track of 50 integers. How would you build this data structure to check if an element is present, and if the structure is full, remove the oldest element? There are also no duplicates.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied in career fair and got an online assessment in one week. The OA has 5 questions, you should finish in one hour. It is not very difficult but very time limited. Then I got an onsite interview. There were four rounds, and one of them is about system design. The other rounds consist of CS fundamentals, projects in resume and coding problems. I am not doing good in the system design part.

Interview Questions

• what is difference between Hashtable and HashSet?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware in August 2016.

Interview

I was approached by a recruiter, and shared the background and skill sets. The coding test was held after a week. It was based on Java and fairly an easy question to be completed by 90 mins. The recruiter was very helpful till the initial stage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

All day, multiple phases, but felt like it could end abruptly after each phase. Talked with an assortment of managers, and also a couple of senior engineers. I sat for 3 morning interviews, was taken to lunch (not sure if this is normal), and then sat for 3 afternoon interviews. Each interview was different. One person gave me a written programming test, another did a thought experiment, another asked me to whiteboard the solution to a programming challenge, another asked me to diagram the internals of an application framework.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe the internal mechanism involved in the Ruby implementation of enumerables. This seemed to be an off-the-cuff question, flowing from a discussion of various languages, and their strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

First the HR sent me a online coding test, including some multiple choice questions on network and one coding question. After finished it, I have been schedule to a phone interview with an engineer. I was asked to write code on an online editor.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview took about a month. I interviewed at VMware in Austin. I was first contacted by a recruiter, was sent to a HackerRank challenge, and had an onsite interview. After passing the onsite interview I had another HackerRank challenge with a senior director over the phone.

Interview Questions

• The first HackerRank challenge I had was an abstract design problem where I was told, within 90 minutes, to write a function that detects whether a robot loops within a trajectory passed as an arbitrary commands string that controls the movement of the robot. (e.g. GRGRGL where L stands for turn left, R for turn right and G for go one step)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I had an on-campus interview with VMware after meeting them at UT's EXPO (engineering career fair). I came in fairly formal business wear, but found that it was unnecessary because everyone there had been dressed casually. I had a one-on-one interview for 30-45 minutes, and then an interview with two of VMware's software engineers for another 30-45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• My interviewer was aware that I didn't have much experience, so it felt as though he was going easy on me/wasn't expecting as much. There was a heavy emphasis on C and he had me look at two pieces of code to catch a race condition. The two interviewers after gave me the option to work in C or java, so I chose java. They were simple questions about manipulating data.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Standard screening and onsite interviews. Recruiting team was very helpful during the process.
    Onsite interviewers were knowledge and the interviews were pleasant. The interviews also gave me a good idea about the role.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA) in October 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was somewhat disorganized, as the recruiters often sent emails to the candidates and spelled their first and last names incorrectly. Among the three technical interviewers, two acted rude and unprofessional, which killed my desire, on the spot, to ever intern at this company.

Interview Questions

• Describe and write out a fast C implementation of a least-recently-used (LRU) cache.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Champaign, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview took place at my university. There were two 45 minute back to back interviews. The interviewers were very respectful and helpful. My first interviewer asked technical questions and my second interviewer ask more behavioral questions although not a lot. Most of the technical questions were related to data structures except there was one about systems. My second interviewer spent time telling me about what the company does, what products they offer, etc. and I thought it was really interesting. Unfortunately, I did not get an offer, but I will try again next semester.

Interview Questions

• Questions about arrays, linked lists, BSTs, etc.   1 Answer