VMware Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview took about a month. I interviewed at VMware in Austin. I was first contacted by a recruiter, was sent to a HackerRank challenge, and had an onsite interview. After passing the onsite interview I had another HackerRank challenge with a senior director over the phone.

Interview Questions

• The first HackerRank challenge I had was an abstract design problem where I was told, within 90 minutes, to write a function that detects whether a robot loops within a trajectory passed as an arbitrary commands string that controls the movement of the robot. (e.g. GRGRGL where L stands for turn left, R for turn right and G for go one step)   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I had an on-campus interview with VMware after meeting them at UT's EXPO (engineering career fair). I came in fairly formal business wear, but found that it was unnecessary because everyone there had been dressed casually. I had a one-on-one interview for 30-45 minutes, and then an interview with two of VMware's software engineers for another 30-45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• My interviewer was aware that I didn't have much experience, so it felt as though he was going easy on me/wasn't expecting as much. There was a heavy emphasis on C and he had me look at two pieces of code to catch a race condition. The two interviewers after gave me the option to work in C or java, so I chose java. They were simple questions about manipulating data.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Standard screening and onsite interviews. Recruiting team was very helpful during the process.
    Onsite interviewers were knowledge and the interviews were pleasant. The interviews also gave me a good idea about the role.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA) in October 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was somewhat disorganized, as the recruiters often sent emails to the candidates and spelled their first and last names incorrectly. Among the three technical interviewers, two acted rude and unprofessional, which killed my desire, on the spot, to ever intern at this company.

Interview Questions

• Describe and write out a fast C implementation of a least-recently-used (LRU) cache.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Champaign, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview took place at my university. There were two 45 minute back to back interviews. The interviewers were very respectful and helpful. My first interviewer asked technical questions and my second interviewer ask more behavioral questions although not a lot. Most of the technical questions were related to data structures except there was one about systems. My second interviewer spent time telling me about what the company does, what products they offer, etc. and I thought it was really interesting. Unfortunately, I did not get an offer, but I will try again next semester.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at VMware in September 2015.

Interview

Sent my resume online and got a online challenge link in s few days. The online challenge take about 200 minutes and contains 5 questions, which are all coding problems. The questions are long and time-consuming. I think the company is testing if you truly want to apply for the job.

Interview Questions

• Assume A is a number smaller than B. Find the nth number created with combination of A and B (such as AABB, ABAB, ABBA). The number of A will be equal to the number of B.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Online coding challenge round is compulsory. Unfortunately I was asked to write programs in java where as I am only comfortable with c and python. But recruiter was really a nice guy. He was very quick in responding to emails and any queries.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

It was a phone interview in which there was a discussion of several computer networking concepts and a coding question. The coding question was to write a function to traverse the nodes of a tree in breadth first manner. This was followed by an onsite interview in which I talked to six people

Interview Questions

• How to obtain the sum of the elements from (0,0) to (r,c) in a 2D array, where r and c are the row and column numbers   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was an individual with the hiring manager and then a panel with 5 employees then with HR. I had already spoken to the hiring manager over the phone so meeting in person was more of a meet and greet. A little bit nervous for a meet and greet but the hiring manager was very affirming that my experience met their requirements quite well. We sat for about 15 minutes and the Hiring manager spoke more in-depth about the team/about VMWare in terms of culture fit. After exchanging pleasantries, he invited the rest of the team to meet. It was a panel which made the interview a bit more nerve racking. Each person asked a question and it seemed over 15 questions, some of the questions were similar...as if the interviewers were more involved in the questions they were going to as rather than listen to other interviewers and ask different questions. The panel lasted for 60 minutes. The clue that everything went well was that HR came in and had a chat. They asked the straight forward question of when can you start. If you get one of those type questions, you can now relax, dry off the sweat and take a sip of water.

Interview Questions

• Started with technical questions with a very thorough drill down of my resume and how it is very similar to the achievements the team is trying to complete.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Straight forward because my rate was submitted by the agency.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, was very difficult to talk to, interviewer did not seem to want to be there. I tried to write code but the interviewer kept being difficult about some of the questions I asked. e.g. I would try to clarify an edge case and he would say "what do you think?"