VMware Staff Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 5, 2017

2.9

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Initial introduction calls with a recruiting agent, technical phone screen, then an onsite interview event. VMware is pretty relaxed: during the interview event they let you have 15 minutes between interviewers and let you kinda ramble unsupervised through their offices. After I got an initial offer, they invited me back to their campus to have lunch with my future bosses/managers.

The process was made longer because during the process my recruiting/hiring contact quit VMware so the new person was completely lost.

The interview itself was awkward because multiple interviewers asked me how and why I'd possibly put job experience before getting a college degree onto my CV. This is the moment I decided I don't want to work here, no matter how much money I'm offered - ie very early in the interview process this employer went from "want to work here" to "will use them to boost other offers."

Interview Questions

• Implement a singleton   Answer Question
  • How does Spring initialize private fields with no constructor args and no setters?   1 Answer
  • In a non-directed graph, count the number of subgraphs (not necessarily fully connected, just subgraphs in general). Discuss why and how you'd optimize this given different number of vertices, different density/completion of the graph, etc...   Answer Question
  • Design a network file system: which operations of a POSIX file system are you going to support, how would you organize the hardware, how does the communication work, how are the files stored, etc... discuss all design decisions in terms of the CAP theorem, be able to spot hot-spots and single points of failure.   Answer Question

The interviewer attitude seemed very toxic and I had no intention of working near such people. Line and upper management was cool, but you don't get to work with them daily.

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

A former colleague of mine was already working at VMware and he and I connected ahead of time over lunch at VMware along with a project manager he worked alongside with. This was where I was able to ask questions ranging from bad to good, and soft-ball to aggressive without worrying about my interview performance. We all decided we were excited about the prospect and wanted to move forward.

I came in during an interview event but was interviewed separately. I met my potential manager, potential tech lead, and several really great engineers. I was asked technical questions about algorithms, file system design, and a coding question where the focus was on not having bugs on a whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a transactional file system?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed for a Windows Developer Position. Had a phone screen on basic windows kernel calls and driver development . Onsite interview went over projects I worked on and Windows Kernel mode and user mode concepts .

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Phone screen interview.
    On-site interview - 5 hours, engineers and managers.
    You can have follow up phone interviews after that as well.
    Interview with HR.
    HR is negotiating the offer.
    They are not in the rush, it's not recommended to take the first offer.
    Some folks had like a 6 months negotiation back and forth.

Interview Questions

• Know your staff, there are many experienced folks,
      be prepared to talk about what you have on your resume.
      Coding questions standard for industry.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They are not in a rush, products are not treated as mission critical. You can negotiate over a couple of months, if you have time. Be patient. It's not recommended to negotiate on your own, it's better to come as a part of acquisition.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a VMWare recruiter via Linkedin. After the initial phone conversation with the recruiter, my details were put into their recruiting database. Within a week I was contacted by 5 different recruiters looking for front end web developers for their respective VMware teams.

I picked one of the teams and had a phone call with the recruiter. After talking to the recruiter about my background and interests and confirming my interest in his team, a technical phone screen was scheduled.

During the technical phone screen, I was asked questions about my background, and then a few coding questions and UI design questions. The interviewer was satisfied, so I was then schedule for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview was an all-day affair, starting at 9am and ending at 4:30pm. I talked to 5 engineers and 3 managers. The engineers asked coding questions (design and code a Tic-Tac-Toe game, implement a LRU cache), algorithm questions (various ways to efficiently scan logfiles), and web UI questions (how to present data for different scenarios).

After the on-site interview, the recruiter contacted me with an offer at the Staff Engineer level, salary, signing bonus, yearly target bonus, and RSUs.

Interview Questions

• Implement a LRU cache that can be initialized with a max size (in bytes) and keeps track of the hits/misses.   Answer Question

The group wasn't the right match for what I was looking for. I was looking for a group with more Web UI expertise, but this team was comprised of people who were systems and backend oriented.

Staff Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Applied online for a position in Networking and Security BU...
    Twice the phone interview was scheduled and the guy never showed up.
    Very unprofessional attitude by this team. So I told them I'm not interested !!

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Pune (India)) in May 2017.

Interview

1. A coding test on HackerRank. It had about 5 multiple choice questions on Java, database, security. @ coding questions for 100 and 50 marks.

2. Called for face to face next week. Gave two rounds. I could answer the questions. The interviewers seemed satisfied with the answers. But were concerned that I don't posses the skills they wanted (Spring, Hibernate). I asked a lot of questions about the company, and they patiently answered. The questions were good, but not very difficult. Overall I was happy with the technical rounds.

After the 2 rounds, the HR called me to tell me that since I don't possess the skills they are looking for, they have kept my profile on hold.

Following things disappointed me:

1. I had mentioned beforehand that I do not have much experience in Java, leave alone Spring/Hibernate. These are not mentioned on my CV either (But told them that I can learn any skill if required). If these skills were a must have for them, they shouldn't have shortlisted my profile.

2. The HR person did not even show his face. I was escorted to the interview room by the security guy. After the technical rounds, the HR person called me to tell that I can leave, despite being in the same office. That was really disrespectful. I took a leave from my office to appear for the interview on a weekday, and the HR guy can't even meet in person? And mind you, I have 10 years of experience. I don't know how they would handle freshers.

Interview Questions

• Solution for a search using any of the attributes of an object   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Pune (India)) in November 2015.

Interview

Telephonic Interview and 2 Face to face rounds and 1 managerial interview. Technical questions including Core Java , multithreaded programming , data structures , distributing computing concepts , design patterns etc.

Interview Questions

• Data structures, Java multithreading and design patterns, Distributed computing   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process ran more than 60+ days totaling to 8 rounds with 1 face-2-face and all others telephonic from india and US. Most of the question were based on networking(my profile) mostly related to troubleshooting, as the position was for escalation team in NSX. The HR took a week, came back with a verbal offers disclosed all the details. I hd a short notice with current employer, so asked if they will reimburse the short notice. The HR said he needs to get an approval from the hiring manager. This short notice was already informed to HR b4 the start of the interview process. After this there were no mails/call response from HR for over 2 weeks, even after repeated mails/calls to HR. This made me suspicious, as the HR was avoiding. Later HR called and said, they cant reimburse short notice period, and hv to joing within 1 month not they cannot wait for more than 1 month. I asked him if i can talk to the hiring manager, as we came to last stage and i did not want to drop it because of the short notice reimbursement. I even said that am ok to compensate my 1 month earned leaves, left out is 1 month notice and asked to reimburse @least for 1 month short notice. Also HR asked if i hv put my papers based on his verbal offering. hr was very happy when i said that i hv not yet done, as still some points are not yet closed. Hr told he will get back to me. next days hr calls and say due to some business constraints, they cant process on my offer, and apologizes on behalf of VMware and said sorry!. SO the HR took a total U turn after providing verbal offering. I would have not felt more bad, if they hd not given me verbal offer :-(

Interview Questions

• Most of the question were on network troubleshooting stuff, some were good and some average.   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in August 2012.

Interview

Below is the experience from VMware Bangalore hiring processes witnessed in last 8+ years:
    Pathetic hiring process. Recruiters nothing more than just coordinators with no real powers.
    Candidates with no 'godfather' stand no chance of getting hired. Your skills would come second.
    There is no tracking of interview feedback. I have seen people getting hired with all negative feedback as well.
    Candidates are kept waiting for multiple weeks.
    Communication can improve.
    Regionalism plays an important role. I have seen many managers hiring people only from their native origin.

Interview Questions

• Many managers lack professional etiquette. They end up asking too many of personal questions.   Answer Question