VMware Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

3.2

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Staines, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

2 telephone interviews and 1 panel interview
    They have never even had the courtesy to call me back to say I did not get the role even though I have emailed and called this company on numerous occasions. I have been Ghosted.
    Their feedback was "I did not blow them out of the water " on the presentation but that they loved my first telephone interview.
    They said I could do the job but again no further communication from them - even now a whole month after the panel interview.
    Very disappointing experience and I feel if they treat potential candidates like this then I have definitely swerved a bullet working for this company.

The internal recruitment person even looked on my linked in profile a few days ago - not sure why. It would have been nice for them just to say - thanks but no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Can you handle this job role ? (considering I had completed a similar job role for 9 years in another company this should have not even been asked).   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Staines, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Very thorough, efficient process, moved quickly as role immediately available. Was informed would be made a verbal offer very quickly. Afterwards a senior ex Cisco female manager I imagine give her renowned at Cisco poisonous opinion and since I have heard nothing. Not even the courtesy of a rejection call even though senior recruitment have been chased a few times. Disappointing and rude.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Staines, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Staines, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Informal chat with the recruitment team to gauge your interest and outline the interview process. Technical skills test as a phone interview, followed by a general telephone interview. Finally a formal one to one in person interview at the head office in Staines UK with the team lead, which required a formal presentation on a subject pre selected by the company.

Whole process took just over two weeks, would have been shorter but for my unavailability. Interviews were relaxed, whilst still being formal.

Interview Questions

• Was I comfortable with the travel requirements of the job   Answer Question

Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Staines, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Staines, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

Following CV & phone screening by the recruitment firm that found me, they set up an initial interview with the hiring manager, followed by 2 meetings with prospective colleagues, finishing with a presentation to a panel of four sales and technical people. For the panel interview I was given a deliberately 'loose' brief to test how I approached this sort of task and had about 20 minutes of Q&A, followed by my 30/60/90 day plan to be effective in the role.

Interview Questions

• How would I become effective in the role in a short timescale?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

I applied via an employee referral. Recruitment got back to me the same day, very keen to speak. I had a couple of telephone interviews with HR, then was invited to a Skype interview with the hiring manager. Nobody told me the next steps. More than a month went by and it was obvious I had not been successful but it would have been nice to be contacted, even a generic 'thanks but no thanks. Their candidate care could use some work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you...   1 Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

The whole end to end interview process consisted of three telephone interviews, two of which were with VMware recruitment, going over general background, technical expertise etc. and then a third directly with the hiring manager who went over the role, quizzed me on my knowledge of the company and how I would benefit VMware and how my skills would make me good at the role etc. The telephone interviews with the recruitment team were around thirty minutes each and the telephone interview with the hiring manager was 90 minutes. Following those I was then invited to a formal face to face interview which was completed in two stages; a 1:1 and then a panel, including the hiring manager. The total face to face interview time was just over two hours, with each stage taking around 50% of the time. This covered past expereinces in more detail, low level details around what my speciifc involvement was and what my responsibilities had been, as well as descriing problems experienced and how I had successfully resolved them. Thorough is the word I would use!

Interview Questions

• The good old "Could you provide a negative attribute about yourself and how this has impacted you during your working life".   Answer Question

Consulting Architect Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware in August 2015.

Interview

The hiring process at VMware was very long and drawn out, spanning several months from when they first contacted me. There was an informal interview with the recruiter, telephone technical screen and finally a face to face interview.

The technical screen was as you would expect, lots of technical questions which you should know a fair amount of going for this type of role so was par for the course.

The face to face interview was pretty straight forward. There were no 'trick' questions (apart from one which had absolutely no relevance to the role - "Explain how to convert an IP address to binary) and my interviewers were very easy to get on with. I was also asked to pre-prepare a 15 minute presentation on a subject of their choice which also seemed to go well and I was complimented on.

The thing that really irritated me however was despite everything going well, I was not offered the position due to 'lack of experience in large projects'. While my experience seemed to match the size of projects mentioned in the face to face interview, my experience is laid out in some detail on my CV and also from the technical screen where several times drilled into in detail, so if it was not of the size they were looking for then they had all this information up front.

This meant that I was invited for a face to face interview which I actually had no chance of actually succeeding at, as I failed it based on information they had up front, and nothing I could do during this face to face interview would make a difference. It felt like I was simply invited to 'make up the numbers' for interviews for this position. Upon reflection this seems more than likely as there was also a distinct lack of normal questions like what your availability is, which is usual when they are seriously interviewing you. They also only asked if I had any questions whilst they were already leaving the room and rushing me out the door.

Despite this, VMware is a great company and it is still my goal to one day work for them. I am glad I have at least interviewed there and found the process valuable, I will be back and try and land a similar job again some time in the future.

Alliance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

One on one interview with hiring manager. Very straightforward. Not much else to say. Seemed very keen to get a warm body in as soon as possible, so as not to lose the headcount.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frimley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VMware (Frimley, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Relaxed, Open, two-way process. Fast process end to end. The best interaction I ever had in my last 11 years of IT career. Just perfect. From screening to technical phone test everything was structured. They all spoke the same language and open to questions.

Interview Questions

• About my passion for the company.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to move - You have a perfect job already!   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

I was contacted via the recruiter and given a list of items to prepare for. on attending the interview i was made to feel very welcome and could see the great company culture shining even after just a few minutes. I was interviewed by the current intern and after getting past the 1st interview by the division manager. My overall experience was extremely good, never have i had such a relaxed and interesting interview.

Interview Questions

VMware Response

Sep 25, 2014 – Director of University Relations

It’s great to hear that you had such a positive experience. We are proud of our culture and I am thrilled to know that came across during your time with us. Thanks for sharing your feedback and... More