Valero Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Valero Energy Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2017

2.8

Interview

It was very easy going. The person who interviewed me was patient and understanding. He made the interview process go very smoothly. When I appeared obviously nervous, he told me to relax because not long ago he was in my shoes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to address a safety issue.   1 Answer

Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Houston, TX).

Interview

The Valero interview was a series of behavioral questions. There was three people on the interview panel. It was a Human Resources , Production supervisor,and manager. The questions are to answered in the STAR format.

Interview Questions

• Have you received an offer yet?   1 Answer

Associate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Submitted application then received a call from HR to schedule a phone screen. After the phone screen an interview was then scheduled with 1-6 employees from the department. The interview process took about two hours which was understandable since there were 2 different groups who interviewed at different times. Easy process overall but not as easy as other interviews I've had. Also, I must say everyone was really friendly!

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply at Valero? What do you know about the position you applied for? Can you tell me about yourself? Why are you planning to leave your present job?   Answer Question

Associate Plant Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview

The Engineering Manager from the site calls you. They ask you a series of questions, which weren't behavioral questions. Usually they are. The questions were like what do you know about our site? Could tell me about your work experience and what you did there? Why do you feel this position is good fit for you? The interview was easy going, nothing technical related.

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Texas City, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Took the pre employment assessment and was invited for an interview within 3 weeks. There were 3 operators and an hr rep on the panel. All behavioral based questions utilizing the STAR technique.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond what was expected of you.   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Texas City, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Texas City, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with 3 operators and an HR representative. They went by a sheet with a list of behavior based questions. After it was all finished, they ask if you have any questions for them, then they go by the same yes or no questions from the application. It was a fairly easy interview...the everyone was very nice an made the interview process very comfortable and without to much stress.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you went above and beyond your required duty and the outcome of it...   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

SAP SD MM Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview process with about 10 people, not sure why do I need to talk with all these people, i talked with Marketing VP, not sure why all these people is needed in the interviewing process. What I can see is that they have been placing the same post for about 2 years, does this mean they have a high turnover rate or the person they hire is not comfortable with this position or the salary is under the market, too many questions unanswered.

Production Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Vernon, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Mount Vernon, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

Out of date Star format questions. Not sure what happened was more than qualified for posting. Passed all of their stupid tests. Seems like they really had a problem with me quitting my last job. What is really strange is they still have job posted so they obviously needed someone.

Interview Questions

• Describe in star format a time you had a problem with a team member.   1 Answer

Refinery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

It was a really easy interview with some behavior questions. They are very people focused company. I was a returning intern so there weren't asking technical questions. The interview with the manager was relax but the important interview with the manager's boss was the harder one. It was more formal and had document questions

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to go the extra mile with a teammate   1 Answer

Compliance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (San Antonio, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The site interview process takes a half Day and is fairly intense. You will meet with around 15 people derived from up and across the organizational chart. In my case, I began my interview with the vice president in charge of the compliance department before meeting with subordinate staff. Around the middle of the day, I met with senior vice presidents, bosses to the vice president I met in the morning. After the interview, your sponsor, most likely the one you phone interviewed with, will take you to lunch. Following lunch, you will meet with the VP of HR for a brief of the benefits.

All interview questions are behavioral. Most interviewers possessed a pleasant demeanor and were easy to talk too. In my case, one interviewer was designated as the "bad cop" to ask the more acerbic interview questions such as "what makes you so special?" etc..

Valero has no training program that I can ascertain so they are interested in people who can hit the ground running. In the interviews, they basically want you to flesh out your resume with details and provided further details of your experience. They also want you to convey to them what you can do for the company to meet the objectives laid out in the job description that you applied for. Good Luck.

Interview Questions

• As you can see, Valero is a great company with top people. Why should I hire you? What makes you so special?   Answer Question
    • I see that you have been looking for work for awhile (5 months). What's wrong? What is going on there?   Answer Question