Valero Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 15, 2017

3.1

Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Houston, TX).

Interview

The Valero interview was a series of behavioral questions. There was three people on the interview panel. It was a Human Resources , Production supervisor,and manager. The questions are to answered in the STAR format.

Interview Questions

• Have you received an offer yet?   1 Answer

Associate Plant Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview

The Engineering Manager from the site calls you. They ask you a series of questions, which weren't behavioral questions. Usually they are. The questions were like what do you know about our site? Could tell me about your work experience and what you did there? Why do you feel this position is good fit for you? The interview was easy going, nothing technical related.

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Texas City, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Took the pre employment assessment and was invited for an interview within 3 weeks. There were 3 operators and an hr rep on the panel. All behavioral based questions utilizing the STAR technique.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond what was expected of you.   Answer Question

Production Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Vernon, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Mount Vernon, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

Out of date Star format questions. Not sure what happened was more than qualified for posting. Passed all of their stupid tests. Seems like they really had a problem with me quitting my last job. What is really strange is they still have job posted so they obviously needed someone.

Interview Questions

• Describe in star format a time you had a problem with a team member.   1 Answer

Compliance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (San Antonio, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The site interview process takes a half Day and is fairly intense. You will meet with around 15 people derived from up and across the organizational chart. In my case, I began my interview with the vice president in charge of the compliance department before meeting with subordinate staff. Around the middle of the day, I met with senior vice presidents, bosses to the vice president I met in the morning. After the interview, your sponsor, most likely the one you phone interviewed with, will take you to lunch. Following lunch, you will meet with the VP of HR for a brief of the benefits.

All interview questions are behavioral. Most interviewers possessed a pleasant demeanor and were easy to talk too. In my case, one interviewer was designated as the "bad cop" to ask the more acerbic interview questions such as "what makes you so special?" etc..

Valero has no training program that I can ascertain so they are interested in people who can hit the ground running. In the interviews, they basically want you to flesh out your resume with details and provided further details of your experience. They also want you to convey to them what you can do for the company to meet the objectives laid out in the job description that you applied for. Good Luck.

Interview Questions

• As you can see, Valero is a great company with top people. Why should I hire you? What makes you so special?   Answer Question
    • I see that you have been looking for work for awhile (5 months). What's wrong? What is going on there?   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy (New Orleans, LA) in May 2016.

Interview

Got a call from the hiring manager outside of the HR process. We had a great call, technical items covered mainly. Eventually, got officially into the system through HR and invited onsite for an interview. Treated first rate by Valero Travel. Interview took up most of the day and included a plant tour. Treated great by most of the employees onsite. However, a senior manager there was very fixated on my age (even though reality had me at 2 years older than a potential co-worker). Left with a great feeling and a ton of reassurance that even though it took two months to get to this point, the next steps would be very quick, likely 2 weeks. Total silence has been the result though, no responses to emails or phone calls. I'm shocked that no one even answers the phones at all there.

Interview Questions

• How will you feel working with people so much younger than you?   1 Answer
    • You do realize that you will be expected to donate heavily to United Way, right?   1 Answer

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Lubbock, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I met with an engineer from a local refinery. He looked through a copy of my resume that he had on file and asked me about my listed work experience and my 2nd degree student status. He also asked 4 or 5 typical behavioral interview questions. This meeting took about 45 minutes. I also met with an HR representative who showed me a company promotional video and answered questions for about 10 minutes in a separate office, after the initial interview.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the classes you enjoyed the most, and disliked the most.   Answer Question

Data Center Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (San Antonio, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Received a phone call to schedule an onsite interview two weeks after the telephonic round. Very few technical questions and more if behavioral questions. it was a great experience to visit their facility and know more about the job. But unfortunately received an email 10 days later saying that I have not been selected.

Electrical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Valero Energy (College Station, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Interviewed by three people from three different locations. Asked five behavioral questions and a couple technical questions. Environment and vibe of the interview was very serious, recruiters were not very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you made a commitment but could not keep it.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Interview

They were all behavioral based questions. In my interview at school they had two recruiters interviewing me. I got the interview after talking to them at the career fair. They were nice guys and it was a good interview. Just make sure you have a bunch of stories or experiences prepared to share that you can apply to any question that they may ask.

Interview Questions

• What is one time you received criticism and how did you handle it?
      What is one time someone wanted to go against the rules and how did you handle it?
      Answer Question