Valero Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Valero Energy Interview Questions

Updated Jan 2, 2018

38 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Process Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview process was easy. However, the company kept probing me for salary information from my employer at the time and made me very uncomfortable. In the end, Valero said they would get back with me in 2 weeks but never did. Very unprofessional. If Valero treats you like this in an interview, do you think they will treat you any better as an employer? It was a blessing in disguise as I was given nice job offers from their direct competitors.

Interview Questions

• What salary do you make? What salary do your peers make? What salaries do your employees make?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview

Applied through the university career fair, get response after few days. I interviewed in the university of Arizona. The interview was about 40 min long, and it was more like a friendly conversation.

Interview Questions

• tells us about a time where you work in a team?   Answer Question
    • tells us about a time where you did something ahead of your team?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview

I was contacted by HR the morning after submitting an application online, and a phone interview was scheduled for the following week with the hiring manager. I was contacted a couple of days after the phone interview in order to schedule an on-site. The on-site was a thirty minute interview where about five people asked you generic behavioral questions. It was very impersonal and rehearsed. No plant tour was offered. I was taken to lunch where I had to be polite during some very inappropriate conversation. I have always felt confident and relaxed during the interview process, but this was extremely unpleasant. One of the interviewers was discussing some fairly vulgar things to the point that I would not feel safe working with this person. I have talked about this interview with other people who are hiring managers and engineers, and they also voiced their concerns about how inappropriate and unprofessional it was. I removed my application from consideration due to the negative experience. I was told I would be contacted for a final decision within a week, but even after removing my application, they still contacted me about two months later to tell me I did not receive the job.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stillwater, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Stillwater, OK) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview was not intimidating, mostly informative. Kind interviewers. Follow up is hard, they do not respond. I interviewed over 6 weeks ago and have not heard anything back yes no or otherwise.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you saw something unsafe, what did you do, what resources did you use to solve the issue.   Answer Question

Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Houston, TX).

Interview

The Valero interview was a series of behavioral questions. There was three people on the interview panel. It was a Human Resources , Production supervisor,and manager. The questions are to answered in the STAR format.

Interview Questions

• Have you received an offer yet?   1 Answer

Associate Plant Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview

The Engineering Manager from the site calls you. They ask you a series of questions, which weren't behavioral questions. Usually they are. The questions were like what do you know about our site? Could tell me about your work experience and what you did there? Why do you feel this position is good fit for you? The interview was easy going, nothing technical related.

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Texas City, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Took the pre employment assessment and was invited for an interview within 3 weeks. There were 3 operators and an hr rep on the panel. All behavioral based questions utilizing the STAR technique.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond what was expected of you.   Answer Question

Production Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Vernon, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Mount Vernon, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

Out of date Star format questions. Not sure what happened was more than qualified for posting. Passed all of their stupid tests. Seems like they really had a problem with me quitting my last job. What is really strange is they still have job posted so they obviously needed someone.

Interview Questions

• Describe in star format a time you had a problem with a team member.   1 Answer

Compliance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (San Antonio, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The site interview process takes a half Day and is fairly intense. You will meet with around 15 people derived from up and across the organizational chart. In my case, I began my interview with the vice president in charge of the compliance department before meeting with subordinate staff. Around the middle of the day, I met with senior vice presidents, bosses to the vice president I met in the morning. After the interview, your sponsor, most likely the one you phone interviewed with, will take you to lunch. Following lunch, you will meet with the VP of HR for a brief of the benefits.

All interview questions are behavioral. Most interviewers possessed a pleasant demeanor and were easy to talk too. In my case, one interviewer was designated as the "bad cop" to ask the more acerbic interview questions such as "what makes you so special?" etc..

Valero has no training program that I can ascertain so they are interested in people who can hit the ground running. In the interviews, they basically want you to flesh out your resume with details and provided further details of your experience. They also want you to convey to them what you can do for the company to meet the objectives laid out in the job description that you applied for. Good Luck.

Interview Questions

• As you can see, Valero is a great company with top people. Why should I hire you? What makes you so special?   Answer Question
    • I see that you have been looking for work for awhile (5 months). What's wrong? What is going on there?   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy (New Orleans, LA) in May 2016.

Interview

Got a call from the hiring manager outside of the HR process. We had a great call, technical items covered mainly. Eventually, got officially into the system through HR and invited onsite for an interview. Treated first rate by Valero Travel. Interview took up most of the day and included a plant tour. Treated great by most of the employees onsite. However, a senior manager there was very fixated on my age (even though reality had me at 2 years older than a potential co-worker). Left with a great feeling and a ton of reassurance that even though it took two months to get to this point, the next steps would be very quick, likely 2 weeks. Total silence has been the result though, no responses to emails or phone calls. I'm shocked that no one even answers the phones at all there.

Interview Questions

• How will you feel working with people so much younger than you?   1 Answer
    • You do realize that you will be expected to donate heavily to United Way, right?   1 Answer