Valero Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Valero Energy Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

2.8

Associate Plant Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview

The Engineering Manager from the site calls you. They ask you a series of questions, which weren't behavioral questions. Usually they are. The questions were like what do you know about our site? Could tell me about your work experience and what you did there? Why do you feel this position is good fit for you? The interview was easy going, nothing technical related.

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Texas City, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Took the pre employment assessment and was invited for an interview within 3 weeks. There were 3 operators and an hr rep on the panel. All behavioral based questions utilizing the STAR technique.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond what was expected of you.   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Texas City, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Texas City, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with 3 operators and an HR representative. They went by a sheet with a list of behavior based questions. After it was all finished, they ask if you have any questions for them, then they go by the same yes or no questions from the application. It was a fairly easy interview...the everyone was very nice an made the interview process very comfortable and without to much stress.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you went above and beyond your required duty and the outcome of it...   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

SAP SD MM Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview process with about 10 people, not sure why do I need to talk with all these people, i talked with Marketing VP, not sure why all these people is needed in the interviewing process. What I can see is that they have been placing the same post for about 2 years, does this mean they have a high turnover rate or the person they hire is not comfortable with this position or the salary is under the market, too many questions unanswered.

Production Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Vernon, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Mount Vernon, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

Out of date Star format questions. Not sure what happened was more than qualified for posting. Passed all of their stupid tests. Seems like they really had a problem with me quitting my last job. What is really strange is they still have job posted so they obviously needed someone.

Interview Questions

• Describe in star format a time you had a problem with a team member.   1 Answer

Refinery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

It was a really easy interview with some behavior questions. They are very people focused company. I was a returning intern so there weren't asking technical questions. The interview with the manager was relax but the important interview with the manager's boss was the harder one. It was more formal and had document questions

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to go the extra mile with a teammate   1 Answer

Compliance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (San Antonio, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The site interview process takes a half Day and is fairly intense. You will meet with around 15 people derived from up and across the organizational chart. In my case, I began my interview with the vice president in charge of the compliance department before meeting with subordinate staff. Around the middle of the day, I met with senior vice presidents, bosses to the vice president I met in the morning. After the interview, your sponsor, most likely the one you phone interviewed with, will take you to lunch. Following lunch, you will meet with the VP of HR for a brief of the benefits.

All interview questions are behavioral. Most interviewers possessed a pleasant demeanor and were easy to talk too. In my case, one interviewer was designated as the "bad cop" to ask the more acerbic interview questions such as "what makes you so special?" etc..

Valero has no training program that I can ascertain so they are interested in people who can hit the ground running. In the interviews, they basically want you to flesh out your resume with details and provided further details of your experience. They also want you to convey to them what you can do for the company to meet the objectives laid out in the job description that you applied for. Good Luck.

Interview Questions

• As you can see, Valero is a great company with top people. Why should I hire you? What makes you so special?   Answer Question
    • I see that you have been looking for work for awhile (5 months). What's wrong? What is going on there?   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy (New Orleans, LA) in May 2016.

Interview

Got a call from the hiring manager outside of the HR process. We had a great call, technical items covered mainly. Eventually, got officially into the system through HR and invited onsite for an interview. Treated first rate by Valero Travel. Interview took up most of the day and included a plant tour. Treated great by most of the employees onsite. However, a senior manager there was very fixated on my age (even though reality had me at 2 years older than a potential co-worker). Left with a great feeling and a ton of reassurance that even though it took two months to get to this point, the next steps would be very quick, likely 2 weeks. Total silence has been the result though, no responses to emails or phone calls. I'm shocked that no one even answers the phones at all there.

Interview Questions

• How will you feel working with people so much younger than you?   1 Answer
    • You do realize that you will be expected to donate heavily to United Way, right?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview

On site full day interview consisted of: HR and manager generic questions; one-on-one experience discussion with others in the department; interview with plant manager; interview with department head; lunch; tour; review of benefits with HR. Heard back after a few weeks, after other candidates were interviewed, with an offer. Very friendly, comfortable positive experience. Pre-employment process was thorough: back ground check, drug test, and work history verification.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Great offer, no need.

Chemical Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Two people interviewed me on campus. They asked me standard questions and one "technical" question that just tested my critical thinking. There was no right answer to the question; the interviewers just wanted to see what kinds of ideas we could come up with. The interviewers were very amiable and graciously answered all my questions as well.

Interview Questions

• What is a time you struggled with something, and how did you overcome the problem?   Answer Question
Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Valero Energy Associate Plant Engineer Interview Why do you feel this position is a good fit for you?
Valero Energy Associate Plant Engineer Interview What do you know about our site?
Valero Energy Process Operator Interview Texas City, TX Describe a time when you went above and beyond what was expected of you.
Valero Energy Process Operator Interview Texas City, TX Explain a time you went above and beyond your required duty and the outcome of it...
Valero Energy SAP SD MM Consultant Interview New York, NY Can you explain about your marketing knowledge?
Valero Energy Production Operator Interview Mount Vernon, IN Describe in star format a time you had a problem with a team member.
Valero Energy Refinery Interview Los Angeles, CA Name a time when you had to go the extra mile with a teammate
Valero Energy Compliance Engineer Interview San Antonio, TX As you can see, Valero is a great company with top people. Why should I hire you? What makes you so special?
Valero Energy Compliance Engineer Interview San Antonio, TX I see that you have been looking for work for awhile (5 months). What's wrong? What is going on there?
Valero Energy Technical Interview New Orleans, LA How will you feel working with people so much younger than you?
Valero Energy Technical Interview New Orleans, LA You do realize that you will be expected to donate heavily to United Way, right?
Valero Energy Engineer Interview Why are you looking to leave your current company.
Valero Energy Chemical Engineer Co-Op Interview Austin, TX What is a time you struggled with something, and how did you overcome the problem?