Valero Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 15, 2017

2.8

Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Houston, TX).

Interview

The Valero interview was a series of behavioral questions. There was three people on the interview panel. It was a Human Resources , Production supervisor,and manager. The questions are to answered in the STAR format.

Interview Questions

• Have you received an offer yet?   1 Answer

Associate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Submitted application then received a call from HR to schedule a phone screen. After the phone screen an interview was then scheduled with 1-6 employees from the department. The interview process took about two hours which was understandable since there were 2 different groups who interviewed at different times. Easy process overall but not as easy as other interviews I've had. Also, I must say everyone was really friendly!

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply at Valero? What do you know about the position you applied for? Can you tell me about yourself? Why are you planning to leave your present job?   Answer Question

Associate Plant Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview

The Engineering Manager from the site calls you. They ask you a series of questions, which weren't behavioral questions. Usually they are. The questions were like what do you know about our site? Could tell me about your work experience and what you did there? Why do you feel this position is good fit for you? The interview was easy going, nothing technical related.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (San Antonio, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

About 3 interviews. Just study for them and you will be fine. If you are a good fit for the company you won't have any issues. If you like volunteering and serving your community that helps you with your application. Make sure you don't lie about your community service because everyone at Valero volunteers and they will double check to make sure you are not making things up.

Interview Questions

• If you said you spoke another language be prepared to have part of the interview be in that other language.   Answer Question

Associate Instrument Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

The interview process took around 4 months. Initial interview was conducted at the college career center. The second interview was in the refinery. Overall interview experience was positive.The hiring process is very long and you have passed the background check.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to configure the input and output on the common PLC?   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Texas City, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Took the pre employment assessment and was invited for an interview within 3 weeks. There were 3 operators and an hr rep on the panel. All behavioral based questions utilizing the STAR technique.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond what was expected of you.   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Texas City, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Texas City, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with 3 operators and an HR representative. They went by a sheet with a list of behavior based questions. After it was all finished, they ask if you have any questions for them, then they go by the same yes or no questions from the application. It was a fairly easy interview...the everyone was very nice an made the interview process very comfortable and without to much stress.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you went above and beyond your required duty and the outcome of it...   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Production Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Vernon, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Mount Vernon, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

Out of date Star format questions. Not sure what happened was more than qualified for posting. Passed all of their stupid tests. Seems like they really had a problem with me quitting my last job. What is really strange is they still have job posted so they obviously needed someone.

Interview Questions

• Describe in star format a time you had a problem with a team member.   1 Answer

Undergraduate Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Loughborough, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (Loughborough, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

Fairly standard interview. Had a meeting with two of the current process engineers at the refinery. They hire somewhere between 5-7 process engineering interns per year. Overall the interview was not too difficult with some personality based questions and one larger technical question about the oil refining process.

Interview Questions

• What preparation happens to the crude oil before distillation?
      What would your friends say is your biggest weakness?
      Answer Question

SAP SD MM Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Valero Energy (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview process with about 10 people, not sure why do I need to talk with all these people, i talked with Marketing VP, not sure why all these people is needed in the interviewing process. What I can see is that they have been placing the same post for about 2 years, does this mean they have a high turnover rate or the person they hire is not comfortable with this position or the salary is under the market, too many questions unanswered.