ValuePenguin Junior Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ValuePenguin Junior Research Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at ValuePenguin

3.6

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ValuePenguin.

Interview

I applied online in early September. From there I was given a case study to write. This was followed by a pair of phone interviews, an initial round of in-person interviews, and then a final round of in-person interviews. Everyone I interacted with was very kind, attentive, and asked thoughtful questions. The total process took around 5 weeks.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ValuePenguin

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ValuePenguin (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

I found the listing on my college job board and applied online. I received an email with a case study to complete (had ample time to do this). HR got back to me the day after I submitted my case study about setting up a phone call. After that I was invited to come in to meet with people on the Analyst team. They asked some difficult questions, but it was great to be able to meet with three different people and talk to them about their roles and perspective on the company. Everyone was very welcoming and engaged during the interview process. Unfortunately, they decided not to move forward with a 2nd in person interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ValuePenguin (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Several round of interviews including a couple of phone interviews, a case study and a couple of in-person interviews. Intensive but not difficult and was overall a pleasant experience. The case study was not a big deal - it wasn't too difficult to write and I enjoyed doing it. If you like analysis and you are good at it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing a previous manager would say you could improve on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ValuePenguin (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Hard to have been more unprofessional than that. I had to do a case study to "kickoff" the interview process," but the day after I submitted my case study I was notified that another candidate was selected. You could've easily spared me a weekend of work, but no. The alternative being that a candidate applied, was screened, and ultimately selected within 24-48 hours?

Interview Questions

• I had to do a write up (case study) comparing two things, weighing pros/cons, essentially a cost/benefit analysis.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ValuePenguin (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I was sent 3 written case studies, each about two pages long, typed. The entire process took two months, and I was given two days each time to finish two pages of writing. It was extremely demanding given that I was never even contacted for a phone call (not even a phone screen). Then, I was rejected via email. I don't want to make any assumptions, but I do genuinely believe that I was only superficially "pursued" as a candidate since I had checked off the box for disability.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ValuePenguin (New York, NY).

Interview

Three interviewers. First two are resume run-throughs (from what I can remember). Third is a casual interview just to pick up on your vibe. Be prepared to address everything on your resume.
    The third guy was nice. Second was ok, but less nice.
    The first interviewer was quite awkward and she seemed like she wasn't interested in the whole process. Rude demeanor. The feel that came across was that she didn't like me from the start. That may not be true, but who knows. Kind of felt as though my time was wasted.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience at ________?   Answer Question
    • How would you change project ________ if you were to be able to complete it again?   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ValuePenguin.

Interview

Overall, it was a pretty involved interview process. It included a take home writing assignment, phone conversation with HR manager, and three in-person interviews. I spoke to employees at every level, including another Jr. Research Analyst and the CEO, and had conversations about my professional experience, personal interests and hobbies, and an in-person case study.

The process was hands down the most efficient, respectful, and transparent that I have encountered. The HR manager was extremely communicative about next steps in the process, and there were no unexplained gaps in correspondence. My sense is that they really care about making people feel appreciated and valued, both as candidates and employees, and have worked to improve upon negative reviews written here.

My only recommendation would be to share information about the candidate more readily between interviewers. I answered some of the same questions 7 or 8 times, which can feel redundant and frustrating.

In the end, I wound up taking an offer from another company before hearing back yes or no from ValuePenguin.

Interview Questions

• Why ValuePenguin/personal finance? When was the last time you had to research something dull?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ValuePenguin (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process, though long and challenging, was as carried out in an organized and swift manner. The HR liaison was very responsive and coordinated the process with professionalism.

The people that I interviewed with were all nice, smart, and passionate. All in all, I had a great time interviewing.