Vanguard Interview Questions in Arizona | Glassdoor

Vanguard Interview Questions in Arizona

Updated Apr 18, 2017

Client Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone screen followed by an in person group interview. Don't focus too much on needing to know details about investing but have a basic understanding of terms. It sounds like these interviews are a chance for them to hire for multiple roles all at once, so be aware that your offer may be for a role you didn't apply for.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you changed your approach based on feedback from a customer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vanguard (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

met at career fair. 45 minute talk. have you go through your resume and past work experience. the classic star questions and some concept questions about what you know about vanguard and some services/investment vehicles they offer

Client Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter about the position. Applied online and received a phone interview a few days later. After conducting the interview the recruiter scheduled me for an in person interview 2 weeks later.

The interview was consisted of three different components. Introduction, case study, and behavioral interview questioning.

If you just do your homework and put in the effort to be successful then the interview process won't be too difficult. They set you up for success and the recruiters help you along the way.

Senior Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

Met with 5 different people total, including managers and a peer. All the people were pretty normal except the last guy who acted very strange, he appeared not to like me for some reason. A lot of people are leaving Vanguard for Financial Engines for a more normal work environment. They have been interviewing for the Sr. Financial Advisor role for months and they are still advertising for the same role right now. Obviously some turnover and culture issues going on; a colleague of mine left Vanguard due to the highly political environment.

Interview Questions

• Situational interview questions, they really grill you at the very end. What is your greatest weakness, and then they really drill down after you tell them like you answered it the wrong way.   1 Answer

Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

I initially applied for a Processing Associate position. It took about four weeks for the application/interview process. I was contacted by a recruiter and had a phone interview where we went over some basic questions and he helped me adjust my answers to suit the interview. A week later he called me again and we reviewed what I would be potentially asked during the interview and how it all works. The following week the company payed for me to stay in a hotel over night and the next morning I took a bus to the campus. We were given a tour of the campus and a presentation about the company. We then had time to look over our case study until we were greeted by our interviewers. I was really lucky with mine because we both attended the same university so it was very easy to make conversation and be comfortable. We went over my answers for the case study, did the mock phone call, and then I was greeted again by another interviewer. She asked me basic behavioral questions that followed the STAR method. A week later I called my recruiter and asked if he had heard anything and he said I'd be expecting a very positive phone call. The following Monday HR called me and actually offered me a different position, Inheritance Specialist, which gave me a higher salary.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

I was reached by a recruiter through LinkedIn and had a phone interview followed by in an person interview in Scottsdale Arizona. The whole process was very fast and professional. They really prep you on everything you will be interviewed on and if you do your homework it's pretty easy. The first part of the interview is 15 minute case study where you have to identify key issues in a situation with a client who had called in ( probably the most stressful part of the interview but simply do your best). The second part is a role play of another case study and then the last part is actual interview where you are asked a few behavioral questions. Tell about a time kind of stuff....Prepare at least 5 behavioral questions and you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with someone difficult?   1 Answer

Customer Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was called by a recruiter approximately one week later. We scheduled a phone interview for the following day. The recruiter called on time - we spoke in total for about 45 minutes. She asked me about my current position and about my work history, as well as groups/organizations I was involved with in college. She told me a little bit about the position and then asked me behavioral based questions as well as what a stock, bond, mutual fund, and exchange traded fund were. At the end of the call, an invitation was extended for me to travel (expenses paid) to Scottsdale for an in-person interview. I accepted. I was contacted 2 days later with information about my travel itinerary.

Four days before my interview, I was emailed by my recruiter with information about the interview process. She offered some things for me to review - I highly recommend that you review some basic financial terminology and do as much research into Vanguard as you can! The day of the interview, I arrived at 7:30 AM. I'd say my group was 16 or so people - only 3 of which were female. We were given a tour of the facility, followed up a group presentation about Vanguard.

After the presentation was over, we were given a case study. Don't stress over this too much - just read all details carefully and you will be fine! We were able to take 15 minutes to review the case study, and then we were sent to interview rooms with a Vanguard employee who then offered another piece of the role play for you to read over. I was given 5 minutes to read the new information before we started the role play.

After the role play, a different Vanguard employee came in for the second part of the interview - behavioral based questions. I only had 3 - the questions were open ended and very easy to answer in the STAR format (situation, task, action, response).

After this portion was completed, I was free to go! I was there for my interview until 11:00 AM. I was told a recruiter would contact me within 1-2 weeks, but I was actually contacted much quicker than that with an offer.

Overall, the interview was an incredibly positive experience. Everyone was very, very kind and made a genuine effort to make you feel comfortable.

Randstad Financial Processor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

Very smooth interview process.

I went through the interview process twice. The first was through Vanguard themselves and I was not given an offer, but they recommended me to their contractor, Randstad, which is a temp-to-hire permanently onto Vanguard if you are successful in the role.

I met with the Account Manager who asked general STAR questions and helped coach me in preparation for a case study.

I met a second time the following business day, this time with a panel of 2 other managers. The case study for this role was a situation in where something went wrong and I had to review the client's notes on his/her account and explain how I would fix it. They are looking for details and for you to explain your thoughts out loud. The recruiter walked me out and told me I nailed it, so that was a good feeling. This was on a Monday, and I received an offer via phone call on Friday.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where something went wrong and what you did to fix it (STAR format)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

I went through the interview process twice. The first time, I didn't get an offer, but was brought in for an in-person interview. I persisted to apply a second time and was given an offer the second time. The first interview is the phone interview, the second is the in-person interview. When the interviewer calls, you will be asked about your background, (work history, education). The interviewer will also ask about why you are interested in the position and what you know about Vanguard. You will also be asked a few finance related questions like "what is stock", "what is a bond?" Towards the end of the phone interview, you'll be asked a few situational based interview questions. If I recall correctly, at the end of the phone call, the interviewer will inform you of the next steps, (a prep-call and availability for an in-person interview). The interviewer will be really helpful during the prep call. You will be prepped on what the in-person interview will consist of and how to present yourself as a professional. The in-person interview has three portions. There is a case study which requires problem solving, (you'll need to figure out what the key issues are, how to solve the issues, and in what order). The second portion is a role play which requires you to be conversational, address the problems, and provide a little bit of financial advice for the client. The third portion of the in-person interview is when you'll be asked 3, 4, maybe 5 situational based interview questions. You'll need to answer the questions in the STAR format (situation, task, application, resolution). At the end, you'll be thanked for coming to the interview, and be required to turn in your badge at the exit. It may take about 3-5 days before you hear back from human resources. The first time, I called my recruiter and shortly after received a rejection email. The second time, I called my recruiter and he said I did well and should hear back from someone from human resources with good news. One day later, I received a call from human resources with an offer. You're given the option to accept or wait a little while to think about it.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about Vanguard....

Tell me about a time when you adapted your approach when dealing with a certain client/person...

Tell me about a time when you faced a lot of pressure and how you dealt with it...

Tell me about a time when you were really overwhelmed with your workload and how you dealt with it...
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied Online, heard back promptly. Had a thirty minute phone interview, mostly STAR questions. Was invited for an onsite interview. 30 min tour, 30 min behavioral interview, 30 min case study

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when something unethical happened at work and how you approached the situation?   Answer Question