Vanguard Interview Questions in Charlotte, NC | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 14, 2017

125 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Client Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

I had a phone interview during which I was asked to define some terms (stock, bonds, mutual funds). The in person interview lasted several hours. They gave us a tour of the campus and then I interviewed with two different gentlemen. They asked me to do a role play during which they were mostly looking for customer service skills. Once you are hired they provide you with materials to study for the Series 7 and 63. My start date was almost 3 months after my interview.

Interview Questions

• Why am I interested in a career in finance?
      Give an example of a time I changed due to customer feedback.
      What is an index fund?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in September 2017.

Interview

The recruiter called me to schedule a phone interview. She sent me an email that same day with details on how to prepare. This included links to company web pages, YouTube videos, and the company’s Muse profile. She asked me what basic financial terms meant (i.e. ETFs, mutual funds, bonds, etc.). The phone interview included behavioral based questions using the STAR method. Afterwards, she invited me for an in-person interview. The in-person interview lasted for about 1.5 hours early in the morning. Roughly 20 other candidates were also there, but we only toured the company together. Our actual interviews were separate. First, I met with a project manager who had me perform a customer service role play exercise. The next person I spoke with performed a standard interview with more behavior based questions. I took one basic finance course in college and Googled the basic terms to refresh my memory. They seemed to care more about my customer service skills than anything else, which was great news for me.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Based Question (STAR): Tell me about the hardest exam you ever took.   1 Answer

Technology Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in September 2017.

Interview

Focused alot on where I wanted to be in the future. Interviewer went over the position and asked mostly about the different kinds of projects I had in the past including SQL and Java.

Financial Advisor Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in September 2017.

Interview

started with an on campus interview consisting of resume and behavioral questions
    then was invited on-site for a super day at vanguard: 2 interviews one behavioral and one case based,both an hour long and then a round table discussion

Interview Questions

• biggest strength and how it applies to this particular role   1 Answer

Customer Relationship Specialist/Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in May 2017.

Interview

Overall the process went fairly smoothly. I applied online in about early May and received an email asking when I was available to participate in a phone interview. Upon the phone interview I as asked fairly simple questions but did require a bit of prep work prior. Please do not take this phone screen lightly as it will determine if you move on in the process. After finishing the phone interview you will be asked on the spot when you are available to come into office to go through another set of interviews, role play and a tour (stringent upon your performance of the phone screen). If you are an out of state applicant the company will provide all transportation for you. In office you will arrive and sit in an area with about 10-15 other applicants. This can be very nerve wrecking for some people as this is where you size up your competition (although they tell you to not be intimidated and not look to them as competitors). Then HR will take you on a tour and then give a presentation. At the end of the presentation this is where you can ask questions(do not be the person to not ask a good question). Then you go and conduct a role play with an employee which can be a little weird if you've never done things of the sort. Afterwards you then go through a formal interview with another employee. In all if you get the job you should hear back between 1-4 weeks as it takes everyone different times to receive offers. Honestly I spent a good amount of time really preparing for this interview as I truly wanted this job and company. As in life you get what you put in so don't slouch through this process and put your best foot forward and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about yourself   1 Answer
    • Q: Why Vanguard?   Answer Question
    • Q: What do you know about Vanguard   1 Answer
    • Q: Tell me a time in which you failed   Answer Question
    • Basically have multiple stories and situations that you can mold and change to whatever type of question you are asked. Have at least 5-7 ready to go!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

It was fairly relaxed, very much like a normal interview. The questions were STAR-based, and there is a little of roleplay. But you don't have to know anything about finances or have a business background to do it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were in conflict with someone. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

Vanguard flew me out to their Charlotte office. Before the interview, they gave us a tour of the office. There were two parts to the interview. The first part was a behavioral interview and the second part was a client phone call simulation. Overall the interview was relatively easy.

Customer Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in March 2017.

Interview

This process consisted of a quick phone interview, a more in-depth interview, followed by an in person interview/Q&A session. I thought the process was fantastic. Your recruiter will give you all the information you need, and they are so incredibly nice. Study for the interview. Be excited to be there. It's not super difficult but it's definitely a plus to be over prepared. Lots of behavioral questions, and then a case study. Have fun with it!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were overwhelmed at work and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Went through two rounds of interviews. First was over the phone, then a followup in the regional office. Overall, a good interview experience. Only drawback was the delayed hiring process and the subsequent late start date.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience where a customer was displeased/unhappy with your product or service. How did you respond and resolve the situation?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process is a little intense. I first met a recruiter at a college career fair. Out of the blue several weeks after the fair she called me to set up a phone interview. I successfully passed the first two phone interviews and was invited to an in person 3 hour interview. I rejected their offer.

Interview Questions

• Alot of "describe a time..." questions
      Be prepared to give specific examples   Answer Question