Vanguard Client Relationship Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Vanguard Client Relationship Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2017

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Started off with a phone interview. Went to their offices for an in person interview about 2 weeks later. Was given a case study and role played a phone call with a customer. Then interviewed with someone else for a traditional interview.

Interview Questions

• What is a mutual fund? Stock? Bond? Exchange traded fund? Behavioral questions using STAR method. Participated in role play of phone call with customer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

Received a screening interview 3 days after applying online. Then after the screening interview went to the "Super day" at their location in Malvern. The screening interview lasted 30 minutes, while the Super day had an overview portion provided by a case study and two interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe a stressful situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

I was reached by a recruiter through LinkedIn and had a phone interview followed by in an person interview in Scottsdale Arizona. The whole process was very fast and professional. They really prep you on everything you will be interviewed on and if you do your homework it's pretty easy. The first part of the interview is 15 minute case study where you have to identify key issues in a situation with a client who had called in ( probably the most stressful part of the interview but simply do your best). The second part is a role play of another case study and then the last part is actual interview where you are asked a few behavioral questions. Tell about a time kind of stuff....Prepare at least 5 behavioral questions and you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with someone difficult?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

The phone interview was very stress free. They asked me to explain my prior jobs and work experiences. They then asked me several basic behavioral questions that were easy to answer. I was then asked to come back for an on site interview which consisted of a tour, an information session, and two interviews. One interview consisted of behavioral questions and the other was a role playing exercise.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you had to deal with a frustrated customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

The process is pretty vigorous. They took a group of about 12 people and showed a brief overview of what Vanguard has to offer and the type of employees they're looking for. Afterwards, they split us up and each person had two one-on-one interviews back to back.

Great thing about the process is that it allows people who are good candidates but just a little nervous, time to loosen up and become comfortable enough to show their potential.

Bad thing about the process is that I feel like they over prep you. If they give every candidate who comes in the door all the tools to successfully get through the interview, how are they weeding out the candidates who are not a good fit? It almost felt like once you get the interview, you got the job. Only an idiot could not get pass the interview process. They tell you EXACTLY what they're looking for, EXACTLY what type of questions they'll ask you, and EXACTLY how to answer them?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to delivery difficult news to a client.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Very Easy

Consisted of phone interview then was asked to come on site. Large group all together for the most part then we broke up into two interviews, one was a case study, the other personality. Make sure to read the case study carefully.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Went through two rounds of interviews. First was over the phone, then a followup in the regional office. Overall, a good interview experience. Only drawback was the delayed hiring process and the subsequent late start date.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience where a customer was displeased/unhappy with your product or service. How did you respond and resolve the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

I went through the interview process twice. The first time, I didn't get an offer, but was brought in for an in-person interview. I persisted to apply a second time and was given an offer the second time. The first interview is the phone interview, the second is the in-person interview. When the interviewer calls, you will be asked about your background, (work history, education). The interviewer will also ask about why you are interested in the position and what you know about Vanguard. You will also be asked a few finance related questions like "what is stock", "what is a bond?" Towards the end of the phone interview, you'll be asked a few situational based interview questions. If I recall correctly, at the end of the phone call, the interviewer will inform you of the next steps, (a prep-call and availability for an in-person interview). The interviewer will be really helpful during the prep call. You will be prepped on what the in-person interview will consist of and how to present yourself as a professional. The in-person interview has three portions. There is a case study which requires problem solving, (you'll need to figure out what the key issues are, how to solve the issues, and in what order). The second portion is a role play which requires you to be conversational, address the problems, and provide a little bit of financial advice for the client. The third portion of the in-person interview is when you'll be asked 3, 4, maybe 5 situational based interview questions. You'll need to answer the questions in the STAR format (situation, task, application, resolution). At the end, you'll be thanked for coming to the interview, and be required to turn in your badge at the exit. It may take about 3-5 days before you hear back from human resources. The first time, I called my recruiter and shortly after received a rejection email. The second time, I called my recruiter and he said I did well and should hear back from someone from human resources with good news. One day later, I received a call from human resources with an offer. You're given the option to accept or wait a little while to think about it.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about Vanguard....

Tell me about a time when you adapted your approach when dealing with a certain client/person...

Tell me about a time when you faced a lot of pressure and how you dealt with it...

Tell me about a time when you were really overwhelmed with your workload and how you dealt with it...
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

30 minute phone interview followed by an in house interview, consisting of a tour, role play, and basic behavioral questions. There were 11 other people there interviewing with another group coming in later

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied Online, heard back promptly. Had a thirty minute phone interview, mostly STAR questions. Was invited for an onsite interview. 30 min tour, 30 min behavioral interview, 30 min case study

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when something unethical happened at work and how you approached the situation?   Answer Question