Vanguard Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Vanguard Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2016.

Interview

Received a tour of the office and good overview of the company. One regular interview 2nd was role play. Given written guidelines for role play and needed to follow the policy. Overall very fair.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions by 2 separate managers. Looking to see if you fit into the company profile. No trick questions all fair and straight up.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

took about a half hour. asked basic questions about my background, what is a stock, mutual fund etc. never heard back until i called them a week later and they told me i wasn't chosen to move forward

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Vanguard (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I met the recruiter at a career fair on campus and they scheduled me for a phone interview. Then a recruiter calls you for a 30-45 minute interview. They were all very pleasant and friendly. Good experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions and those about your resume/past experience. They also asked the difference between an ETF and mutual fund and also why you're interested in finance.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Phone interview, very structured. It felt as if i was talking to a computer across the phone. I think they picked up on the lack of interest and did not offer me the job anyways. Formulaic questions, did not feel like I was actually having a conversation, more like filling out text boxes with someone on the other end of the phone.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see your self in the future. Difference between a stock and a bond and ETF. Nailed those...and then an example of a time when you had a difficult situation and how you responded.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Vanguard (Tempe, AZ) in April 2014.

Interview

I made it through a phone interview and an interview at their Phoenix campus. The phone interview was just very general stuff, no hard questions. They just wanted to know my education and work history. The in person interview was much different. I had researched all of their financial products, but they did not ask me a single question that tested my knowledge of bonds/stocks/retirement savings vehicles, etc. However they did make me do a role playing scenario where an angry customer called about another employee forgetting to make a trade that the customer wanted executed. I had to try to console the customer and tell them what would be done to remedy the situation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2012.

Interview

Got the interview by dropping off a resume at a college career fair. First step is an hour long phone interview, mostly star format. Know the STAR format and have plenty of situations memorized. Understand that at the heart of this job it really is just a customer relations job. Don't worry about impressing them with your financial knowledge, just focus on your people skills. They want someone who is going to enjoy helping people all day and who is okay with being on the phones constantly. Look the part, act the part. They brought in a couple majors outside of the business school simply because they were personable. Be personable.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation in which you disagreed with your manager and what the outcome was.   Answer Question
    • Explain a situation in which you went above and beyond the call of duty to help out a customer   Answer Question

Culture is very uptight, don't get me wrong it seemed like it would be a great place to work but if you don't fit their "type" don't waste your time. They simply don't pay you enough to make it worth your while if you don't fit. It seemed like most of the employees who were working the phones (which is what the position was for) didn't like their jobs and were stressed. If you're going to be stressed you might as well be working towards commission. No commission offered here. Also if you want a job in finance this really isn't it. You need little to no financial background to get this job.