Vanguard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2017

Corporate Finance Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard in October 2016.

Interview

Phone call, 45 minutes long, began with behavioral questions on background experience, asked why chosen Vanguard and also was asked questions about experiences related to finance. Didn't get an interview until 5 weeks after applying. Didn't hear back for another month.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific finance project you worked on either in class or through prior work experience and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Was encouraged to apply by recruiters at my school. I received a request for an interview the next day. After scheduling the interview, I was never contacted again.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in December 2015.

Interview

Two rounds of questions with current employees: Technical and Personal. The personal interview was the stereotypical "Why do you want to work here? What are your strengths/weaknesses? etc"

Technical was based around the particular individuals that happen to be interviewing you. They would ask about various aspects to their current areas of expertise, regardless of whether these questions would actually apply to the work you would end up doing in the organization. At least it wasn't whiteboard coding.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked with Java design patterns before? If so, give an example.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

Phone interview then a three part interview a few weeks later, quick, but too many people interviewing at the same time. Study case included in the in person interview and then behavioral based questions to follow.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a team work assignment that you completed.   Answer Question

Retirement Plan Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online, received an email asking to schedule a phone screening. Phone interview led to in person interview. Interview started in a group for a brief overview of company and position than broke into 1 on 1's

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

Met them at a career fair, then if they pass you along to the regional recruiter you will get an email to set up a phone interview. After that the phone interview is pretty easy and standard, then at the end of mine she set up a time for me to come down and interview in Malvern. Then the interview was about 4 hrs and really tested your soft skills more that Finance knowledge.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Valley Forge, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

STAR methodology. Completely different depending on whether or not the hiring manager owes a favor to someone in management in the department in which one works. Some are completely rigid, where as in some, you are told the decision has already been made, but the position was posted as a formality.

Client Service Associate Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Detailed for the positions asked basic questions like do you know what an etf is or what is the difference between a stock and a bond stuff like that and a couple behavioral questions

Global Fund Accounting Operations Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied through my school's career portal and was emailed to set up a phone interview. The phone interviewer then prefaced our five minute interview with "Yeah, I don't really know much about the position, so I can't tell you anything about it." She then told me that I would be emailed to schedule an on-site interview and hung up. I was not able to ask any questions. My on-site interview was relatively straightforward, they asked questions, I responded, they moved onto the next question. I was supposed to answer in the STAR format. It was a very impersonal process and I personally do better in interviews when I'm able to have a conversation rather than question, answer, question, answer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you had to motivate another team member to do their share of the work (answer in STAR format).   Answer Question

Customer Relationship Specialist/Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in May 2017.

Interview

Overall the process went fairly smoothly. I applied online in about early May and received an email asking when I was available to participate in a phone interview. Upon the phone interview I as asked fairly simple questions but did require a bit of prep work prior. Please do not take this phone screen lightly as it will determine if you move on in the process. After finishing the phone interview you will be asked on the spot when you are available to come into office to go through another set of interviews, role play and a tour (stringent upon your performance of the phone screen). If you are an out of state applicant the company will provide all transportation for you. In office you will arrive and sit in an area with about 10-15 other applicants. This can be very nerve wrecking for some people as this is where you size up your competition (although they tell you to not be intimidated and not look to them as competitors). Then HR will take you on a tour and then give a presentation. At the end of the presentation this is where you can ask questions(do not be the person to not ask a good question). Then you go and conduct a role play with an employee which can be a little weird if you've never done things of the sort. Afterwards you then go through a formal interview with another employee. In all if you get the job you should hear back between 1-4 weeks as it takes everyone different times to receive offers. Honestly I spent a good amount of time really preparing for this interview as I truly wanted this job and company. As in life you get what you put in so don't slouch through this process and put your best foot forward and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about yourself   1 Answer
    • Q: Why Vanguard?   Answer Question
    • Q: What do you know about Vanguard   1 Answer
    • Q: Tell me a time in which you failed   Answer Question
    • Basically have multiple stories and situations that you can mold and change to whatever type of question you are asked. Have at least 5-7 ready to go!   Answer Question