Vanguard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

I initially applied for a Processing Associate position. It took about four weeks for the application/interview process. I was contacted by a recruiter and had a phone interview where we went over some basic questions and he helped me adjust my answers to suit the interview. A week later he called me again and we reviewed what I would be potentially asked during the interview and how it all works. The following week the company payed for me to stay in a hotel over night and the next morning I took a bus to the campus. We were given a tour of the campus and a presentation about the company. We then had time to look over our case study until we were greeted by our interviewers. I was really lucky with mine because we both attended the same university so it was very easy to make conversation and be comfortable. We went over my answers for the case study, did the mock phone call, and then I was greeted again by another interviewer. She asked me basic behavioral questions that followed the STAR method. A week later I called my recruiter and asked if he had heard anything and he said I'd be expecting a very positive phone call. The following Monday HR called me and actually offered me a different position, Inheritance Specialist, which gave me a higher salary.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

talked to them at schools career fair then they had me come in for an interview at the school where they just talked about things on my resume, no technical questions. Then I was offered an on site interview that lasted from around 8 to 3 pm. They had presentations, little bit of food, two back to back interviews (1 HR and 1 technical), the HR interview had some technical questions too. Then lunch, then a group discussion with all the other interviewers. They wanted to see you interact with other potential candidates and see how you work with others.

Investment Management Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

1 45 min phone call with mostly behavioral questions, one all expense paid trip to HQ in Malvern with 1 behavioral and 1 case study. They asked many leading questions and wanted the candidates to do well.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you initiated a solution for a problem? (and many more behaviorals)
      Case study is specific but there are materials so it's not hard to infer the conclusion and the interviewer is more than happy to help you along the way.
      Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

I was reached by a recruiter through LinkedIn and had a phone interview followed by in an person interview in Scottsdale Arizona. The whole process was very fast and professional. They really prep you on everything you will be interviewed on and if you do your homework it's pretty easy. The first part of the interview is 15 minute case study where you have to identify key issues in a situation with a client who had called in ( probably the most stressful part of the interview but simply do your best). The second part is a role play of another case study and then the last part is actual interview where you are asked a few behavioral questions. Tell about a time kind of stuff....Prepare at least 5 behavioral questions and you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with someone difficult?   1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview followed by on-site. Phone interview was to introduce the company and a basic competency check for some OOP terms/concepts. In person interview followed a week later, which consisted of breakfast, some introduction presentations on the company, 20 minutes for a case study which was discussed in the interview, and then 2 1-hour interviews back to back. After the interviews they had lunch where you talked to a few team members, and then a final presentation to end the day.

Interview Questions

• Basic programming concepts, discussion of resume projects, basic behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

I was reached out to over LinkedIn. I had a over two years of work experience so we scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview was a lot of behavioral questions and STAR based, also questions about the company. They just want to see that you're high energy and excited about the company. At the end of the phone call we scheduled my in person interview. Between that time I had a phone call with the head recruiter to explain to me what I should prep for the interview. they give you a very thorough application process, they set you up to succeed. then I had an in person interview and role play. just focus on what the recruiter tells you to focus on and be friendly

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to overcome an obstacle at school or work   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Applied for a Software Engineer position on their website. After an initial phone screen with HR, I was called in to interview and was told it would last about half a day with presentations on the company, benefits and the role. On getting to the location, I found one interviewee who had a graduate degree and work experience (similar to myself) - the rest were students, graduating in a couple of months. The presentations were very informative and the interviews were pretty easy (3 rounds - one behavioral and work experience related, 2 technical - all three were from different teams in the organization). Was contacted in a few days with an offer - salary much less than what I was making and was told details of my role and team would be given after I started. I don't think the process overall was bad, but it was definitely geared towards recent graduates. Would have been so much better if I was given this information prior to attending the interview - I wouldn't have wasted my time going through with it.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

phone interview, resume from school career office. They write email to schedule a interview. But there is no response after that. Recruiter is from HR and actively looking for candidate

Java Developer Interview

Interview

There was an on call interview first which asked a mix of behavioral and technical questions, some techical questions regarding briefly on the progrmming languages i put on resume and other technical questions mostly on Java. Then was called for 2 on site back -to- back interviews in one day called the IT day. There was a case study and 1 behavioral and 1 technical round interview. Wasnt bad at all.

Interview Questions

• what is the difference between an abstract class and an interface.   1 Answer
    • some questions on 4 OOP concepts: encapsulation, polymorphism, abstraction, Inheritance   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didnt nagotiate

Junior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Phone conversation with an hr person consisting of basic behavioral questions about team work and conflict resolution followed by some question about java. Java questions were mostly about object oriented programming principles.

Interview Questions

• Difference between an abstract class and an interface.   Answer Question