Vanguard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2017

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

I was reached out to over LinkedIn. I had a over two years of work experience so we scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview was a lot of behavioral questions and STAR based, also questions about the company. They just want to see that you're high energy and excited about the company. At the end of the phone call we scheduled my in person interview. Between that time I had a phone call with the head recruiter to explain to me what I should prep for the interview. they give you a very thorough application process, they set you up to succeed. then I had an in person interview and role play. just focus on what the recruiter tells you to focus on and be friendly

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to overcome an obstacle at school or work   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Applied for a Software Engineer position on their website. After an initial phone screen with HR, I was called in to interview and was told it would last about half a day with presentations on the company, benefits and the role. On getting to the location, I found one interviewee who had a graduate degree and work experience (similar to myself) - the rest were students, graduating in a couple of months. The presentations were very informative and the interviews were pretty easy (3 rounds - one behavioral and work experience related, 2 technical - all three were from different teams in the organization). Was contacted in a few days with an offer - salary much less than what I was making and was told details of my role and team would be given after I started. I don't think the process overall was bad, but it was definitely geared towards recent graduates. Would have been so much better if I was given this information prior to attending the interview - I wouldn't have wasted my time going through with it.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

phone interview, resume from school career office. They write email to schedule a interview. But there is no response after that. Recruiter is from HR and actively looking for candidate

Java Developer Interview

Interview

There was an on call interview first which asked a mix of behavioral and technical questions, some techical questions regarding briefly on the progrmming languages i put on resume and other technical questions mostly on Java. Then was called for 2 on site back -to- back interviews in one day called the IT day. There was a case study and 1 behavioral and 1 technical round interview. Wasnt bad at all.

Interview Questions

• what is the difference between an abstract class and an interface.   1 Answer
    • some questions on 4 OOP concepts: encapsulation, polymorphism, abstraction, Inheritance   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didnt nagotiate

Junior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Phone conversation with an hr person consisting of basic behavioral questions about team work and conflict resolution followed by some question about java. Java questions were mostly about object oriented programming principles.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

The phone interview was very stress free. They asked me to explain my prior jobs and work experiences. They then asked me several basic behavioral questions that were easy to answer. I was then asked to come back for an on site interview which consisted of a tour, an information session, and two interviews. One interview consisted of behavioral questions and the other was a role playing exercise.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you had to deal with a frustrated customer.   Answer Question

Customer Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was called by a recruiter approximately one week later. We scheduled a phone interview for the following day. The recruiter called on time - we spoke in total for about 45 minutes. She asked me about my current position and about my work history, as well as groups/organizations I was involved with in college. She told me a little bit about the position and then asked me behavioral based questions as well as what a stock, bond, mutual fund, and exchange traded fund were. At the end of the call, an invitation was extended for me to travel (expenses paid) to Scottsdale for an in-person interview. I accepted. I was contacted 2 days later with information about my travel itinerary.

Four days before my interview, I was emailed by my recruiter with information about the interview process. She offered some things for me to review - I highly recommend that you review some basic financial terminology and do as much research into Vanguard as you can! The day of the interview, I arrived at 7:30 AM. I'd say my group was 16 or so people - only 3 of which were female. We were given a tour of the facility, followed up a group presentation about Vanguard.

After the presentation was over, we were given a case study. Don't stress over this too much - just read all details carefully and you will be fine! We were able to take 15 minutes to review the case study, and then we were sent to interview rooms with a Vanguard employee who then offered another piece of the role play for you to read over. I was given 5 minutes to read the new information before we started the role play.

After the role play, a different Vanguard employee came in for the second part of the interview - behavioral based questions. I only had 3 - the questions were open ended and very easy to answer in the STAR format (situation, task, action, response).

After this portion was completed, I was free to go! I was there for my interview until 11:00 AM. I was told a recruiter would contact me within 1-2 weeks, but I was actually contacted much quicker than that with an offer.

Overall, the interview was an incredibly positive experience. Everyone was very, very kind and made a genuine effort to make you feel comfortable.

MBA Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview was only a first round HR screening but the HR person was friendly, professional and detailed about every process i would expect. Asked a couple of factual questions then followed by walk me thru resume and etc. No PAR story was asked guess they were saving it for the 2nd round. Overall experience was very positive and i am really excited about their rotational program

Interview Questions

• Couple of Questions confirming my citizenship status and graduation year???   1 Answer
    • Why did u choose your school/MBA program   Answer Question
    • Walk me thru your resume   Answer Question

Randstad Financial Processor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

Very smooth interview process.

I went through the interview process twice. The first was through Vanguard themselves and I was not given an offer, but they recommended me to their contractor, Randstad, which is a temp-to-hire permanently onto Vanguard if you are successful in the role.

I met with the Account Manager who asked general STAR questions and helped coach me in preparation for a case study.

I met a second time the following business day, this time with a panel of 2 other managers. The case study for this role was a situation in where something went wrong and I had to review the client's notes on his/her account and explain how I would fix it. They are looking for details and for you to explain your thoughts out loud. The recruiter walked me out and told me I nailed it, so that was a good feeling. This was on a Monday, and I received an offer via phone call on Friday.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where something went wrong and what you did to fix it (STAR format)   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Java Developer role in December. I was contacted by a recruiter the same day and had a phone interview that same week. The phone interview consisted of technical and behavioral questions, as well as questions about myself and my past experiences.

An onsite interview was scheduled around a month later. It was a special IT day where many other interviewees attended. It was an all day event consisting of a presentation, case study, and technical and behavioral interviews. Breakfast and lunch were provided.

Overall, it was a great experience.