Vanguard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Went through two rounds of interviews. First was over the phone, then a followup in the regional office. Overall, a good interview experience. Only drawback was the delayed hiring process and the subsequent late start date.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience where a customer was displeased/unhappy with your product or service. How did you respond and resolve the situation?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process is a little intense. I first met a recruiter at a college career fair. Out of the blue several weeks after the fair she called me to set up a phone interview. I successfully passed the first two phone interviews and was invited to an in person 3 hour interview. I rejected their offer.

Interview Questions

• Alot of "describe a time..." questions
      Be prepared to give specific examples   Answer Question

Brokerage Investment Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very straightforward. After applying online, I got a response within 2 weeks, for a phone interview and subsequently an in-person interview at their office in Malvern, PA. The in-person interview had two parts - a behavioral and a case study.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you exceeded a customers expectations ?

Why Vanguard ?   Answer Question

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

One general phone interview. Asked me what was a stock and bond. After I was invited to the office for a tour and a case study with situational questions. It was followed by a round of behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that something didn't go as planned and how did you deal with it   Answer Question

IT College to Corporate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

I applied online and got selected for an initial interview. It was a phone interview, I was asked questions about my experience listed on the resume and behavioral interview questions. After passing the phone interview, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview.

The interview started with a presentation to me and other interview candidates about Vanguard and their culture. We were then given two tasks. The first one was a group task, we were given a list of items and told to select 10 items from the list for a survival scenario. The second task was an individual task where we were come up with a strategy to design and implement a feature on their webpage.

These tasks were followed by two one on one interviews with the leaders of two different teams. Most of the questions were behavioral in the first interview. The second interview was more technical where specific questions about java were asked and the details of the individual task were discussed.

We then had lunch with previous interns who went through the same program. It was then followed by a group discussion about a topic that was chosen before the interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the different between the == operator and equals method?   Answer Question

CSA Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (New York, NY).

Interview

Typical phone screen followed by behavioral based interviews. A few interviews in a row. People were all very nice. Welcoming environment. Campus can be kind of confusing so make sure you look at a map in advance.

Interview Questions

• They are going to ask you if you have passion for investments / the markets   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

I went through the interview process twice. The first time, I didn't get an offer, but was brought in for an in-person interview. I persisted to apply a second time and was given an offer the second time. The first interview is the phone interview, the second is the in-person interview. When the interviewer calls, you will be asked about your background, (work history, education). The interviewer will also ask about why you are interested in the position and what you know about Vanguard. You will also be asked a few finance related questions like "what is stock", "what is a bond?" Towards the end of the phone interview, you'll be asked a few situational based interview questions. If I recall correctly, at the end of the phone call, the interviewer will inform you of the next steps, (a prep-call and availability for an in-person interview). The interviewer will be really helpful during the prep call. You will be prepped on what the in-person interview will consist of and how to present yourself as a professional. The in-person interview has three portions. There is a case study which requires problem solving, (you'll need to figure out what the key issues are, how to solve the issues, and in what order). The second portion is a role play which requires you to be conversational, address the problems, and provide a little bit of financial advice for the client. The third portion of the in-person interview is when you'll be asked 3, 4, maybe 5 situational based interview questions. You'll need to answer the questions in the STAR format (situation, task, application, resolution). At the end, you'll be thanked for coming to the interview, and be required to turn in your badge at the exit. It may take about 3-5 days before you hear back from human resources. The first time, I called my recruiter and shortly after received a rejection email. The second time, I called my recruiter and he said I did well and should hear back from someone from human resources with good news. One day later, I received a call from human resources with an offer. You're given the option to accept or wait a little while to think about it.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about Vanguard....

Tell me about a time when you adapted your approach when dealing with a certain client/person...

Tell me about a time when you faced a lot of pressure and how you dealt with it...

Tell me about a time when you were really overwhelmed with your workload and how you dealt with it...   Answer Question

Retirement Plan Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

The first interview was via phone and then followed by an in-person at their location. They were conversational and very approachable to make sure I could do the same towards clients. Helped me develop my interview skills and personal ability to interact with various people.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Vanguard?   1 Answer

Public Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

HR Manager was great in providing an overall perspective on the role and the company. I moved on to a phone interview with the hiring manager. First and foremost, she was a tough cookie and knew what she wanted to hear. She was very focused on what I knew or didn't know about Vanguard itself and my thoughts on their work in the media so far. I definitely wasn't prepared for that type of questioning so I don't think I did very well; however, that being said, my interviewer was very unfriendly. I was taken aback by how non-personable she was considering her role in the company. She seemed very no nonsense and unwelcoming which left a very bad "taste." Enough that even if I had been moved to the next round, I don't think I would have continued.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

30 minute phone interview followed by an in house interview, consisting of a tour, role play, and basic behavioral questions. There were 11 other people there interviewing with another group coming in later