Vanguard Interview Questions in Malvern, PA | Glassdoor

Vanguard Interview Questions in Malvern, PA

Updated Feb 23, 2017

College to Corporate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Very smooth and pleasant process overall. Had a first round phone screening then was invited to their headquarters in PA for a full day, final interview. The day consisted of two back to back interviews, one hour each, a group activity that you can prepare for in advance, and different events throughout the day to introduce you to Vanguard. Questions are all behavioral. People are nice and welcoming, and it was a pleasant day. I heard back within two weeks.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you had to find the answer with inadequate information?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview that lasted an hour. I was then scheduled for a day interview that was two weeks after the phone interview. The interview was from 7:45am to 1:30pm, I met six other people who were interviewing for the same position. They provided breakfast and lunch, we were also introduced to people who worked for Vanguard already while we ate. There was an overview of the IT department presentation after breakfast. We then had a Case study on a basic web application. Before lunch we had two 1:1 interviews, each an hour. After lunch, we had a presentation on the total rewards that are offered at Vanguard.

Interview Questions

• What is polymorphism and why is it important?   1 Answer

College to Corporate - IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone interview about a month later. Phone interview started with basic questions about the company and why I wanted to work there. Next, there were a few technical java questions. Finally, walked though my resume.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between abstract class vs. interface?   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

First received a phone call from the recruiter. Had about an 30 min to 45 conversation about my career and prior work experience. A few questions were behavioral based like "tell me about a difficult customer and how you had to change your tactic to help them." After that we scheduled an interview in location. I was emailed the info that I should be prepared to know and tips to help during the interview. They helped a little bit but it did not make a huge difference in preparation. The interview started with a group in a conference room going over why Vanguard is a good place to work. After we were given a case study in which we had about 10 mins to complete. After that was done we all went to another location were there was 2 different interviewers that the first went over the case study and the second did more behavioral type questions. It was a pretty relaxed atmosphere. They did their best to make you comfortable and to do well during it.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to work for Vanguard?
      Tell me about how you experienced a negative result and what you did to change it and the results from it?
      Tell me about your experiences?
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Applied for a Software Engineer position on their website. After an initial phone screen with HR, I was called in to interview and was told it would last about half a day with presentations on the company, benefits and the role. On getting to the location, I found one interviewee who had a graduate degree and work experience (similar to myself) - the rest were students, graduating in a couple of months. The presentations were very informative and the interviews were pretty easy (3 rounds - one behavioral and work experience related, 2 technical - all three were from different teams in the organization). Was contacted in a few days with an offer - salary much less than what I was making and was told details of my role and team would be given after I started. I don't think the process overall was bad, but it was definitely geared towards recent graduates. Would have been so much better if I was given this information prior to attending the interview - I wouldn't have wasted my time going through with it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

The phone interview was very stress free. They asked me to explain my prior jobs and work experiences. They then asked me several basic behavioral questions that were easy to answer. I was then asked to come back for an on site interview which consisted of a tour, an information session, and two interviews. One interview consisted of behavioral questions and the other was a role playing exercise.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you had to deal with a frustrated customer.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Java Developer role in December. I was contacted by a recruiter the same day and had a phone interview that same week. The phone interview consisted of technical and behavioral questions, as well as questions about myself and my past experiences.

An onsite interview was scheduled around a month later. It was a special IT day where many other interviewees attended. It was an all day event consisting of a presentation, case study, and technical and behavioral interviews. Breakfast and lunch were provided.

Overall, it was a great experience.

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

The process is pretty vigorous. They took a group of about 12 people and showed a brief overview of what Vanguard has to offer and the type of employees they're looking for. Afterwards, they split us up and each person had two one-on-one interviews back to back.

Great thing about the process is that it allows people who are good candidates but just a little nervous, time to loosen up and become comfortable enough to show their potential.

Bad thing about the process is that I feel like they over prep you. If they give every candidate who comes in the door all the tools to successfully get through the interview, how are they weeding out the candidates who are not a good fit? It almost felt like once you get the interview, you got the job. Only an idiot could not get pass the interview process. They tell you EXACTLY what they're looking for, EXACTLY what type of questions they'll ask you, and EXACTLY how to answer them?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to delivery difficult news to a client.   1 Answer

Public Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

HR Manager was great in providing an overall perspective on the role and the company. I moved on to a phone interview with the hiring manager. First and foremost, she was a tough cookie and knew what she wanted to hear. She was very focused on what I knew or didn't know about Vanguard itself and my thoughts on their work in the media so far. I definitely wasn't prepared for that type of questioning so I don't think I did very well; however, that being said, my interviewer was very unfriendly. I was taken aback by how non-personable she was considering her role in the company. She seemed very no nonsense and unwelcoming which left a very bad "taste." Enough that even if I had been moved to the next round, I don't think I would have continued.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

30 minute phone interview followed by an in house interview, consisting of a tour, role play, and basic behavioral questions. There were 11 other people there interviewing with another group coming in later