Vanguard Interview Questions in Malvern, PA | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

211 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Brokerage Investment Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Met in the lunch room with two managers. Series of STAR questions. On the spot question about how to handle difficult client situation. Phone screen was included. Just smile and act normal, have some finance experience, know what the company does and tie that in.

Interview Questions

• A client just called and is mad about a messed up trade, what do you do?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in July 2017.

Interview

First there was a phone screen with someone from HR and then if HR liked you from the phone screen you were told that someone else would email you with an interview day and schedule. Interview day is a 4 hours long with 2 interviews with managers and directors, an assessment, and lunch/coffee with a current analyst. Very straightforward but the some of the questions are meant to trick on purpose.

you need to be on your game the entire time, don't let your guard down on bit. the managers and directors notice everything.

felt like they want a certain person and not really open to diverse backgrounds. that is what I gathered since the two current analyst had a similar background to me. I want diverse backgrounds not the same.

Interview Questions

• instead of weakness they ask what would a critic would say about you?   1 Answer
    • why vanguard   1 Answer

Global Fund Accounting Operations Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied through my school's career portal and was emailed to set up a phone interview. The phone interviewer then prefaced our five minute interview with "Yeah, I don't really know much about the position, so I can't tell you anything about it." She then told me that I would be emailed to schedule an on-site interview and hung up. I was not able to ask any questions. My on-site interview was relatively straightforward, they asked questions, I responded, they moved onto the next question. I was supposed to answer in the STAR format. It was a very impersonal process and I personally do better in interviews when I'm able to have a conversation rather than question, answer, question, answer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you had to motivate another team member to do their share of the work (answer in STAR format).   Answer Question

Retirement Plan Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online, received an email asking to schedule a phone screening. Phone interview led to in person interview. Interview started in a group for a brief overview of company and position than broke into 1 on 1's

Audit Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in May 2017.

Interview

Went through initial HR screening, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager and later a group interview with the team- interviewers were pleasant and relaxed, structured to assess cultural fit. After the final interview, I received almost immediate positive feedback from HR that I would be made an offer for the position. Several days later I was offered a more junior level position instead with no guarantees on promotion.

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Basic phone interview first. In person 2nd interview with a case study. Questions regarding what you know about the company and general financial markets. Questions regarding career goals and what you're looking for. Trying to see if you'd fit with the culture

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Started off with a phone interview. Went to their offices for an in person interview about 2 weeks later. Was given a case study and role played a phone call with a customer. Then interviewed with someone else for a traditional interview.

Interview Questions

• What is a mutual fund? Stock? Bond? Exchange traded fund? Behavioral questions using STAR method. Participated in role play of phone call with customer.   Answer Question

Technology Leadership Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by an in person interview at their headquarters in PA. In person interview was an all-day session including several one-on-one interviews and a lunch interview with previous graduates in the program.

Application

Interview

30 minute orientation, followed by 30 minute case study and finally 20-30 minute normal interview. They ask you basic STAR questions and the case study you need to be familar with basic investing terms.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in April 2017.

Interview

Interviewer blew off first planned date and time and called a few hours after the interview to reschedule. They were also fifteen minutes late for the next phone screen call. Rote / mechanical interview. Questions focused on job description as it related to background, quickly boring into weak spots or potential shortcomings. There were no pleasantries as the interviewer seemed to be working off of a form. My impression was that they were looking for the best paper match for the job.