Vanguard Interview Questions in Scottsdale, AZ | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

160 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

Multiple stages... I honestly don't remember since it was nearly 4 years ago now... I talked with a recruiter, did an interview on the campus, answered some stuff and got le job

Interview Questions

• Roleplay with the rep to see if you can calm a customer down   Answer Question

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

pretty good, role play was very hard, please try to read everything very quick. u really need 20mins to read this article about the role play but ur only given 10 so DO NOT over analyze and try to remember everything from it, know asset allocation,

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

Phone interview then a three part interview a few weeks later, quick, but too many people interviewing at the same time. Study case included in the in person interview and then behavioral based questions to follow.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a team work assignment that you completed.   Answer Question

Client Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone screen followed by an in person group interview. Don't focus too much on needing to know details about investing but have a basic understanding of terms. It sounds like these interviews are a chance for them to hire for multiple roles all at once, so be aware that your offer may be for a role you didn't apply for.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you changed your approach based on feedback from a customer.   1 Answer

Client Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter about the position. Applied online and received a phone interview a few days later. After conducting the interview the recruiter scheduled me for an in person interview 2 weeks later.

The interview was consisted of three different components. Introduction, case study, and behavioral interview questioning.

If you just do your homework and put in the effort to be successful then the interview process won't be too difficult. They set you up for success and the recruiters help you along the way.

Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

I initially applied for a Processing Associate position. It took about four weeks for the application/interview process. I was contacted by a recruiter and had a phone interview where we went over some basic questions and he helped me adjust my answers to suit the interview. A week later he called me again and we reviewed what I would be potentially asked during the interview and how it all works. The following week the company payed for me to stay in a hotel over night and the next morning I took a bus to the campus. We were given a tour of the campus and a presentation about the company. We then had time to look over our case study until we were greeted by our interviewers. I was really lucky with mine because we both attended the same university so it was very easy to make conversation and be comfortable. We went over my answers for the case study, did the mock phone call, and then I was greeted again by another interviewer. She asked me basic behavioral questions that followed the STAR method. A week later I called my recruiter and asked if he had heard anything and he said I'd be expecting a very positive phone call. The following Monday HR called me and actually offered me a different position, Inheritance Specialist, which gave me a higher salary.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

I was reached by a recruiter through LinkedIn and had a phone interview followed by in an person interview in Scottsdale Arizona. The whole process was very fast and professional. They really prep you on everything you will be interviewed on and if you do your homework it's pretty easy. The first part of the interview is 15 minute case study where you have to identify key issues in a situation with a client who had called in ( probably the most stressful part of the interview but simply do your best). The second part is a role play of another case study and then the last part is actual interview where you are asked a few behavioral questions. Tell about a time kind of stuff....Prepare at least 5 behavioral questions and you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with someone difficult?   1 Answer

Customer Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

applied online on a Thursday, received an email to schedule a phone interview the following day. Had my phone interview the following Monday. The phone interview lasted about 25-30 mins asked about basic financial terms. Do you know the difference of a MF and ETF, stuff like that. What do you know about the company, why do you want to work at VG. After that it was basic STAR question, about 3 questions. At the end of the interview I was invited to interview in person at their AZ office. A week later was flown out to AZ expenses paid. Onsite interview consisted of 2 parts, case study and STAR questions. Case study was not as hard as it sounds, our case study dealt with a women who needs to cash out some of her investments to place a down payment on a house. Just have to explain which investments you would liquidate first and why. Second half was basic interview questions, tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here, STAR questions were mainly based around customer service skills.
    received an offer a week after the onsite interview

Interview Questions

• How is an ETF different from a MF
      Why Vanguard
      What is a stock?
      What is a bond?   Answer Question

Customer Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was called by a recruiter approximately one week later. We scheduled a phone interview for the following day. The recruiter called on time - we spoke in total for about 45 minutes. She asked me about my current position and about my work history, as well as groups/organizations I was involved with in college. She told me a little bit about the position and then asked me behavioral based questions as well as what a stock, bond, mutual fund, and exchange traded fund were. At the end of the call, an invitation was extended for me to travel (expenses paid) to Scottsdale for an in-person interview. I accepted. I was contacted 2 days later with information about my travel itinerary.

Four days before my interview, I was emailed by my recruiter with information about the interview process. She offered some things for me to review - I highly recommend that you review some basic financial terminology and do as much research into Vanguard as you can! The day of the interview, I arrived at 7:30 AM. I'd say my group was 16 or so people - only 3 of which were female. We were given a tour of the facility, followed up a group presentation about Vanguard.

After the presentation was over, we were given a case study. Don't stress over this too much - just read all details carefully and you will be fine! We were able to take 15 minutes to review the case study, and then we were sent to interview rooms with a Vanguard employee who then offered another piece of the role play for you to read over. I was given 5 minutes to read the new information before we started the role play.

After the role play, a different Vanguard employee came in for the second part of the interview - behavioral based questions. I only had 3 - the questions were open ended and very easy to answer in the STAR format (situation, task, action, response).

After this portion was completed, I was free to go! I was there for my interview until 11:00 AM. I was told a recruiter would contact me within 1-2 weeks, but I was actually contacted much quicker than that with an offer.

Overall, the interview was an incredibly positive experience. Everyone was very, very kind and made a genuine effort to make you feel comfortable.

Randstad Financial Processor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

Very smooth interview process.

I went through the interview process twice. The first was through Vanguard themselves and I was not given an offer, but they recommended me to their contractor, Randstad, which is a temp-to-hire permanently onto Vanguard if you are successful in the role.

I met with the Account Manager who asked general STAR questions and helped coach me in preparation for a case study.

I met a second time the following business day, this time with a panel of 2 other managers. The case study for this role was a situation in where something went wrong and I had to review the client's notes on his/her account and explain how I would fix it. They are looking for details and for you to explain your thoughts out loud. The recruiter walked me out and told me I nailed it, so that was a good feeling. This was on a Monday, and I received an offer via phone call on Friday.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where something went wrong and what you did to fix it (STAR format)   Answer Question