Varian Medical Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 1, 2016

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Varian Medical Systems (San Jose, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed for full stack position. Spoke with the university recruiter and first round was from a team member with basic questions from Java like comparator, GUID, Design patterns, HTTP and RestFul webservices, walk through of resume and about the projects and my role in the projects. Got a reject mail from the recruiter after few weeks. After 2 months I was asked if I was available. Got an onsite interview for 3 hours. I was asked to develop a small frontend web application using JS. The interviewer were very nice and helpful.

Interview Questions

• comparable vs comparator, multi threading, Design patterns used in my project, GUID, Rest Web services   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

There were two interviewers. To begin with the questions were about my work and project experience and later they got little more detailed; some of which were on the process by which simulation were done, element types of the FEA model etc. Interviewers were very friendly and casual. The interviewer ended with a site-tour.

Interview Questions

• What type of element did you use for your finite element model?   Answer Question
    • What has been your favorite course during your studies and why? What is your least liked course and why?   Answer Question

Software Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Varian Medical Systems (San Jose, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The process is too long. Still waiting for their reply about the first phone screen interview. It was just mainly on my projects and some question regarding testing on them.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle so and so exceptions in your projects   Answer Question

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Varian Medical Systems (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by Universal Recruiter first to schedule a phone interview with senior Manager. I called the number provided on the scheduled timing. It was not that technical most of the questions were general interview questions. I did well but have no idea why they rejected me. As this is my first interview I asked for review to improve myself in future. Which I didn't receive.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with 2 senior managers in the finance and accounting division then with the controller. There were no technical questions and very few behavioral as it was mainly conversational the whole time. The title financial analyst may not be entirely accurate and much of the interview was describing the roles of the job. I am awaiting to hear about a second round interview. They are looking for someone to perform many accounts receivable collections tasks as well as accounting functions such as SOX controlls.

Interview Questions

• What are your long term career goals? Why are you interested in Finance?   Answer Question

Test Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

First test included a physical circuit; I was asked to probe and find out the exact problem on a PCB. Second test was written; questions were about basic electrical components and circuit theories. Third, I was asked some basic personality questions. Finally, I was asked to write a paragraph about a magazine cover.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. Our initial screening was one of the most awkward interviews I've ever had. The recruiter kept asking me why I would be interested and if I wanted to "join Varian for the rest of my career." That's not realistic (especially in Silicon Valley) and I think that's an odd thing to focus on during an initial screening anyway. Regardless, I went on to the next round which included a series of interviews in person with leadership and the team. I was impressed by everyone I met and I walked away feeling like the org culture might be a little old school, but the specific role sounded like a great opportunity. I followed up with everyone and the recruiter said he would follow up in a few weeks. One month later I followed up again and he and the hiring manager said they were wrapping up interviews and they would be in touch shortly. I followed up once again, two months after the in person interview, and he said they were still wrapping up the process. After that I decided not to follow up again, as I have a different job I've accepted anyway. My main note/feedback is: please don't ask for references if you have no intent on following up. So unprofessional!

NPI Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Highly professional interaction both from HR and the technical interviewer. HR has been very prompt in responding to emails. I had a chance to have only one interview with Varian Medical Systems so far and have developed a very high regard for the company from the tone of discussions I have had with them. I have no doubt why the average current tenure is about 8 years in this company. People know what they are doing and why they are doing it. And that's the exact dimension they try to strike in the candidates I noted - questions like why would you want to join a medical devices company, what makes you apply for this role are central to discussions. Rest assured, this company is not there to assess a job candidate but to share a long term vision and that's why they interview for cultural fit, values and aspirations. This is just my assessment of their interview process after interacting with them and I have been very happy to have this insight dawn upon me. That said, I don't really worry about the results of their selection process, I am delighted to have met with a sincere employer. Glassdoor must have an option for "Not concluded" for the question Did you get an offer? Giving/ receiving an offer should not be the only/ultimate objective, seeking shared values and creating humane experiences, should be.

Interview Questions

• Q1. Why did you consider applying for this position?
      Q2. What type of Project management processes and tools have you used?
      50% of interview time was allocated for candidate's questions, which quite indicates their level of respect for the candidates's pursuits. They don't just assess you as a job candidate but give you an equal opportunity to be inquisitive and find whats in there for you.
      Answer Question

IT Risk Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews (one with HR and another with Hiring Manager). Following this I was invited for an on-site interview. The on-site interview lasted 5 hours. I met with the Hiring Manager, another individual from the department where I was supposed to work and with three senior level managers from the IT Organization. The interview finally concluded with a brief meeting with HR. All in all it was a good experience, people were knowledgeable and engaged. The IT interviews were fairly technical and I enjoyed this. My feeling was that I did very well on the interview however I never heard back from the company. Two weeks after the interview, I sent an email to HR inquiring about the status but received no reply. Two months later, I see that the position is still open but the company never reached out to me to let me know about the status of my application. I understand that sometimes there are changes in priorities, the hiring req may have gotten suspended, company is not obliged to communicate anything to me; however I feel that it is a common courtesy to let people know about the status of their application (especially the people that were selected for on-site interviews). Anyhow, I have no hard feelings, I suppose it was not meant to be. My final thoughts are that Varian is a good company with lots of bright employees. It was a pleasure to interview for the company and who knows, I might do so again in the future.

Interview Questions

• I interviewed two months ago and don't remember any of the questions.   Answer Question

NPI Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online, email contact and telephonic interview with the recruiter. This was followed by an 1 hour telephonic interview with hiring manager and finally an infernos interview for half a day at their facility with 7 individuals. The whole process took around 6 weeks from the initial email contact.

You will also be asked to do an interview on a past project, stick to the allotted time.

Interview Questions

• About past projects, PM methodology, DFM questions, how do you deal with change, how do you deal with a company culture that has employees set in their ways, etc.   Answer Question