Variety Wholesalers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Variety Wholesalers Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2017

1.9

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Variety Wholesalers.

Interview

I applied, then several weeks later was called in for an interview with the regional manager and district manager. The interviews were back to back at a store under construction. The questions were the basic situational questions. I was told that I'd hear something the next week. It was three weeks and several phone calls and emails later before the district manager called me back. He informed me that he had selected me, but that he wanted to offer 10k less than I was looking for. I asked him to give me a day or two to think about it, since that was a big cut. He pressed me for an answer by 10pm that night. Keep in mind this has been a process they had dragged their feet on for weeks. I agreed, and then called him back within an hour or two and accepted the position. He was excited and told me he'd get back with an official offer the next Monday. Once again this process dragged on for another three weeks before he called me back and told me that they had decided to go in another direction. The whole lack of communication, dragging the process out, and then rescinding an offer for no given reason was very unprofessional in my opinion.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Variety Wholesalers.

Interview

Most questions were ridiculous because of race
    Do you use drugs
    do you sag your pants
    do you carry a gun or another weapon then she proceed to walk me through filling out the W2 information , The General Manager of the store is highly disorganized and she forgets often so you must stick note everything always leave stick notes on her desk in writing or the conversation never happened.

Interview Questions

• Do you use drugs
      do you sag your pants
      do you carry a gun or another weapon   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Variety Wholesalers (Baltimore, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

Took over an hour for the manager to interview me. I walked around the store waiting for him. When he finally say me down in a small, messy office to interview me, he kept leaving and doing other things in the store.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a car and any children?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is absolutely no room for negotiation. You have to take what is offered to you...unfortunately.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Variety Wholesalers (Macon, GA) in August 2014.

Interview

I got a phone call 3 days after I turned in my application. I came in for my interview the next week and started Cork bait grin within a week. I enjoyed working there at first then it had started to become a burden and boring. I wouldn't recommend any friends or family to work there. Horrible experience.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Variety Wholesalers (Columbia, SC) in January 2014.

Interview

Submitted Resume to Career Builder, got a phone interview, then face to face interview with district manager. Was contacted by phone with an offer within 2 weeks. Drug test and background check then performed.

Interview Questions

• Describe your greatest weakness & strength. Several situation & behavior questions were asked also. Salary discussed. Questions about traveling to different store locations also.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Variety Wholesalers.

Interview

The first step is to fill out an application that must be picked up from store. Then an interview is scheduled by Store Manager. If they liek you, they will ask you to take a few assessments, which is not difficult, a math test, opinion test.Then after the interviw with store manager there will be an interview with the District Manager.

Interview Questions

• Questions were basic, they will ask you about experience, what is custiomer service to you, ar you willing to do something that may not be specifically listed in your job description (example, clean the bathroom). Team and work ethic will be questioned. You may be asked if you have shopped there before and what kind of experience you had when visiting the store. Also how do you plan on getting tasks done. Also what would you do if a task that you assigned one of your employees was not complete? Basically they want to ensure that you get the idea that you should do whatever it takes to get the job done.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I took the job but was the promises that was made to me was never fulfilled. Salary means that you are expected to work over 12 hours a day all the time.

Merchandiser Dis Associated Interview

Anonymous Employee in Henderson, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Variety Wholesalers (Henderson, NC) in August 2013.

Interview

A group of you walk in and they start talking about the busniess and the you do a test to see if you fit for the.job the they walk you around show you the building and thats it then they might call you if you pass the test the give you a math test which is real easy. They do drug test as well.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you can do this production job.   1 Answer

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Variety Wholesalers (Raleigh, NC) in February 2013.

Interview

One interview with rvp and SVP

Sale Person Interview

Anonymous Employee in Williamston, NC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Variety Wholesalers (Williamston, NC) in March 2012.

Interview

good manner and paperwork in order. skill test and written test if you need help with a question they help you. they would let you no immediately if you pass or fail the test.

Interview Questions

• how long i been on a job and much time i put in a job .how much you learn with that job what more i need to learn. i was explore all my information i have learn on this job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

i got the jobs start work good and they start cut my hours less and less, so i got a new job so working to jobs.

Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Variety Wholesalers (Columbus, OH) in January 2012.

Interview

Applied with Rose's at least 3 times on-line over the course of 6 - 8 months. Finally, the third time got phone screen with a District Secretary. Invited to open house for new store, but I would have a scheduled appointment with DM. Had all my paperwork completed in advance to the open house. While waiting (and waiting) for the DM, had preliminary interview with company HR manager. Actually, he did all the talking and didn't want to let me say a peep. He's about 107 . He was person you had to apply to Rose's on-line, since he is the 'first stop' apparently, so to speak.
    DM comes in, interview with him and another DM from another district all with the HR Corp Manager.
    Again, they do all the talking, not interested in what I had to say, other than "yes" to various duties if I were assigned to do them, etc. Should have seen the red flags there.
    DM stated he would see me ideally as a 'floater' between locations, would I mind that. No, I'm cool with that. I learned later he pretty much pegs everyone for that, but don't hold your breath on it happening.
    Would contact me within 3 days if a "go".
    Corp 107 year old sent me a benefit package to preview, I sent the usual thank you's etc.
    Hadn't heard, so I moved on. About 9 days later, get an offer from DM. He asked which applicant I was.
    He was calling me! I told him which one I was and he said he remembered. (But I don't think he could place me, only that I was female and had extensive softlines exp.) He made an offer to begin in one store, the one farthest from my home, of course. To be a floater later, yada yada.
    Against my better judgement, I accepted and began. Turned out to be a trainwreck, as you can see my review here about the company. Next time: I'll go with my gut.

Interview Questions

• They really don't ask any questions. They do all the talking about the company and the position.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. One flat offer. Stupidly low, but I own the fact I accepted it and began with the company.