Varsity Tutors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

345 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

1. Featured Interview

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2017.

Interview

Phone interview (15 min), Skype interview (30 min), then an in-person interview (1 hour). Recruiters were friendly and helpful and very easy to work with. They also had a networking session at their HQ a couple of days before my interview. I went and got to see the offices and meet some current employees. Quite helpful.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were so straightforward that I don't even remember specifically what I was asked. But there was a role-play in which I played a sales associate and one of the recruiters/interviewers played a potential customer to whom I was to sell a tutoring package.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was an online process. There were 5 questions during the whole process. I had to given one written response regarding my standardized testing. The rest of the questions needed to be recorded responses. You will have 30 seconds to prepare and 3 minutes to give a response. The last question allows for you to choose one or more concept-based questions. You basically have 10 minutes to prepare a mini lecture and 10 minutes to record your response. The other questions were based on background, experience,etc.

Interview Questions

• How would your adjust your teaching style for various age groups?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you are qualified for the position?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, video conference interview with manager, skills test online & in person interview. The whole process felt inflated for an entry level position. The attitude they projected needs to be looked at.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

Started with a very informative phone interview and then scheduled a skype interview a few days later. There was clearly no communication between the interviewers. It was like starting all over again. Frustrating! Also for whatever reason job details changed including difference between part time and full time. If anything I got interview experience but the whole process was a bit frustrating and unorganized. Told me they would get back to me within 48 hours and never heard a word back.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in June 2017.

Interview

Hirevue video followed by phone interview. I had a positive experience with both, but wasn't offered the job with no reason given.

I see a lot of posts online from tutors saying they are college students and that VT is their first teaching job. I'm a certified teacher with several years of test prep tutoring experience, and I have a lot of references from students who I have helped get into college. I'm personable, positive, and interview well. The interviewer seemed impressed by my answers to the hypothetical tutoring situations so I was surprised when they sent me an email saying they didn't want to hire me as a contractor. I'm not sure what they are looking for in a tutor. Maybe they prefer inexperienced tutors over professionals?

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2017.

Interview

The first part of the interview process was online: answering a series of video questions and doing a short tutoring demonstration (I was able to pick a question from a long list and demonstrate how I would help a student with it). There were a series on online assessment quizzes for some of the topics I requested to tutor. Finally, there was a brief, friendly phone interview with a Varsity representative where they asked me some questions about my experience, gave me a chance to ask questions about the company, and at the end of the call they told me the pay rate and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• What ages of students have you worked with in the past?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in June 2017.

Interview

Video Answers, Written Answers, and Solving Situations in writing. All of it is timed. You are given some practice before you take it. But the videos are a one time shot.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle children who are struggling with learning a subject?   1 Answer

Private Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Fairfax, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

I am giving the interview process a thumbs down because, I never actually talked to a human being during the entire process. I literally put on a suit and talked to my laptop. I had to record my answers to interview questions on a platform called Hire View. You are given practice questions to get used to the platform. However, once you are ready to record your actual interview you only have one shot at recording your answer.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain how to add fractions with unlike denominators.   1 Answer
    • How would you adapt your tutoring depending on the age of the student?   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

online via webcam with a very nice lady who asked some questions about my academic background. after the questions, she asked me to explain some math problems to her as if i was teaching a client.

Private Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The entire interview process is done easily and efficiently online. After submitting the initial application, you can schedule a time to interview. The interview features recorded excerpts of someone at Varsity asking you questions. After you hear the question (and see the script) you get a few minutes to prepare an answer. You then record yourself responding to the interview questions. The pros of this style of interview is the flexibility that it offered with location and timing; I was able to comfortably complete the interview in my own home. The cons were the fact that you cannot get immediate feedback to your responses, like an in-person interview. It was difficult to initially gauge if I was doing well or not!

Interview Questions

• Select a subject from a drop-down list and prepare a short lesson on this subject.   Answer Question