Varsity Tutors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

2.6

Online Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Murrieta, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Murrieta, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The Interview process is through online. You need to submit your curriculum vitae or resume through online. Within a week, you will receive an email regarding an interview and online teaching demo. Then, they will send you a link to have an online video to record a video of you and upload it in their system. Afterwards, thry will review the video you uploaded. You can retry it because it's knly less than 5mins. After that, they will call you regarding the statusbof your application if you passed or failed.

Interview Questions

• How you can handle or teach students through an online platform even without meeting them personally?   Answer Question

Online Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Sarasota, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

It was very fun, and engaging. I got to use my video camera on my computer to answer introductory questions about myself and I really liked that because usually, most interviews consist of being talked to about the company and the functions of the position itself. It also incorporated quizzes to ensure that everyone applying has knowledge that would be useful, without looking it up, as their site has an algorithm that measures the amount of time it takes to answer questions, this also weeds out people who would not become potentially good tutors. Everyone I spoke to on the phone was very nice as well.

Interview Questions

• They really want to know if you are a flexible teacher, as you will be working with many different styles of learning, and want to ensure you can do that well. They also ask about your background in each specific area you plan to work with.   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

online via webcam with a very nice lady who asked some questions about my academic background. after the questions, she asked me to explain some math problems to her as if i was teaching a client.

Anonymous Employee in Warwick, RI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Warwick, RI) in January 2017.

Interview

Video interview answering questions about my knowledge and teaching in school and what I were some of my successes and failures. I also submitted my resume, transcripts and my curriculum vitae.

Interview Questions

• About a successful lesson.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Mesa, AZ) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview consisted of a series online recorded questions, followed by a video recording of yourself, responding the the question asked. The process takes about 30-45 minutes total.

Interview Questions

• How would you help a struggling student in a certain subject?   Answer Question

Private Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The entire interview process is done easily and efficiently online. After submitting the initial application, you can schedule a time to interview. The interview features recorded excerpts of someone at Varsity asking you questions. After you hear the question (and see the script) you get a few minutes to prepare an answer. You then record yourself responding to the interview questions. The pros of this style of interview is the flexibility that it offered with location and timing; I was able to comfortably complete the interview in my own home. The cons were the fact that you cannot get immediate feedback to your responses, like an in-person interview. It was difficult to initially gauge if I was doing well or not!

Interview Questions

• Select a subject from a drop-down list and prepare a short lesson on this subject.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2017.

Interview

Phone interview (15 min), Skype interview (30 min), then an in-person interview (1 hour). Recruiters were friendly and helpful and very easy to work with. They also had a networking session at their HQ a couple of days before my interview. I went and got to see the offices and meet some current employees. Quite helpful.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were so straightforward that I don't even remember specifically what I was asked. But there was a role-play in which I played a sales associate and one of the recruiters/interviewers played a potential customer to whom I was to sell a tutoring package.   1 Answer

Math Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

It was a one-sided electronic interview where you receive video and written prompts and you record your answers on a webcam. I was asked about 10 questions of varying lengths and answers had time limits. About half the questions prompted detailed answers while the other half were very much short answer.

Interview Questions

• The question that allotted the longest answer time was one where you had to read over different scenarios with students struggling on very specific problems, choose one to respond to, and go into detail about how you would help the student. I chose a scenario where a middle school girl was struggling with solving an absolute value equation.   1 Answer

Academic Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The interview process was short- I met with a staff member at a coffee shop and we ran through the typical interview questions, talked about my own test scores and grades, and what subjects I would like to teach. Then we ran through a couple of scenarios/mocks and I demonstrated how I would teach a student that material.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to run through some scenarios of how to tutor a student on a given question. I didn't expect it, but the material wasn't too challenging   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

After I filled out an application, I got an e-mail saying they wanted to interview me! The interview was like a skype interview, except they played me a pre-recorded interview question, and then they recorded my response to the question. It was very weird, but very cool at the same time. I much prefer in-person or phone interviews, but I could see the benefit of doing it this way. About a day or two after I did the video interview, I got an e-mail from a recruiter at Varsity Tutors and they asked me for a follow up phone interview.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions asked me to prepare a small teaching sample. They gave me a list of hypothetical situations of which I was required to respond to two, 10 minutes to prepare and another ten minutes to explain how I could respond to the situation. I was allowed to used any materials I had available.   1 Answer