Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 24, 2017

2.5

137 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The online interview process was pretty standard. I easily passed the screening and went to a second interview, but their platform didn't allow me to create a new tutor account after I had already created a "teacher" account to check out the tools.

Long story short, since it took me a few days to respond to their second interview email, they redacted the offer! I explained that it wasn't my primary email and if it was possible to transfer my tutor account, but they didn't even listen. They lost a top-rated tutor, but I didn't miss out. There are plenty of tutoring companies that pay more and treat their tutors better.

Interview Questions

• Explain the concepts of [Chemistry, Calculus] tona student who understands the fundamentals but not sure how to approach this problem.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Varsity Tutors

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was an online process. There were 5 questions during the whole process. I had to given one written response regarding my standardized testing. The rest of the questions needed to be recorded responses. You will have 30 seconds to prepare and 3 minutes to give a response. The last question allows for you to choose one or more concept-based questions. You basically have 10 minutes to prepare a mini lecture and 10 minutes to record your response. The other questions were based on background, experience,etc.

Interview Questions

• How would your adjust your teaching style for various age groups?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you are qualified for the position?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2017.

Interview

The interview was pretty easy. There were 5 questions given on your computer. Some were filmed and some were written. The company got back to me within a day after I submitted my interview, so the process was very quick.

Interview Questions

• They give you a list of various scenarios of a student who is having a trouble with a certain subject. You have 10 minutes to give a brief overview of how you would help the student with the problem. You get to decide which scenario and subject area you address.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Columbus, OH) in August 2017.

Interview

Digital interview and then phone interview. They were very courteous and helpful throughout the process from beginning to end. I would recommend the to anyone that wants to supplement their income.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience in teaching students reading and reading comprehension.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

One of the easiest interview processes I've ever undergone. Video interview, followed by a phone interview and subject assessments for subjects you want to tutor for. Interviewer was hilarious and really chill.

Interview Questions

• How would you teach the concept of DNA and nucleobases to a struggling student?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in June 2017.

Interview

Hirevue video followed by phone interview. I had a positive experience with both, but wasn't offered the job with no reason given.

I see a lot of posts online from tutors saying they are college students and that VT is their first teaching job. I'm a certified teacher with several years of test prep tutoring experience, and I have a lot of references from students who I have helped get into college. I'm personable, positive, and interview well. The interviewer seemed impressed by my answers to the hypothetical tutoring situations so I was surprised when they sent me an email saying they didn't want to hire me as a contractor. I'm not sure what they are looking for in a tutor. Maybe they prefer inexperienced tutors over professionals?

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2017.

Interview

The first part of the interview process was online: answering a series of video questions and doing a short tutoring demonstration (I was able to pick a question from a long list and demonstrate how I would help a student with it). There were a series on online assessment quizzes for some of the topics I requested to tutor. Finally, there was a brief, friendly phone interview with a Varsity representative where they asked me some questions about my experience, gave me a chance to ask questions about the company, and at the end of the call they told me the pay rate and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• What ages of students have you worked with in the past?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in June 2017.

Interview

Video Answers, Written Answers, and Solving Situations in writing. All of it is timed. You are given some practice before you take it. But the videos are a one time shot.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle children who are struggling with learning a subject?   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

online via webcam with a very nice lady who asked some questions about my academic background. after the questions, she asked me to explain some math problems to her as if i was teaching a client.

Tutor Interview

Interview

I filled out their application on LinkedIn. They asked for proof of AP scores I earned as a student and a bachelor's degree. Shortly afterwards they contacted me for a short phone interview which was not technical. They followed up with a online video interview. Before this second interview, I had to identify subjects I could teach on their website and take quizzes on them. The second interview mainly assessed proficiency in my areas of expertise (I had to answer a few questions and explain how I would teach the student the content).

Interview Questions

• If you were asked a question you couldn't answer for a student, what would your say?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation for online tutoring. They pay $15 an hour to tutors living in my zip.