Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

2.5

141 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

There is an online application process that then prompts you for a taped interview. You have a few days to complete the interview which consists of a few questions that are predetermined. The questions appear on the screen and you are given a moment to prepare your response, which is recorded. At the end it asks you to select a question from the subject area you are most interested in tutoring, solve the problem, and explain the questions and concepts you would ask and reinforce with the student in order to adequately solve the problem.
There was a follow-up phone call with a representative from the company with a couple questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Varsity Tutors

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

I conducted survey research at a university for many years and taught in secondary schools for even longer after that. As educators, we pride ourselves on clear, precise questioning for valid assessment. Varsity Tutors had about ten questions per “question” in its online interview. The email inviting me to interview said the interview would take 8 minutes or under, but I had to answer 10 questions, which had several ingermane, sub questions. The questions had little to do with quality instruction and student learning and much more to do with standardized testing. They were also poorly worded and occasionally grammatically incorrect. As a teacher, I was most disappointed about the emphasis on outcome versus process in the questions.

Interview Questions

• Do you take the SAT (or other standardized tests)? How did you score?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in October 2017.

Interview

I filled out an application online and within three days was contacted for a pre-recorded video interview where I was asked five questions, each given a specific time restraint for responding. After the interview, I had a follow-up call which asked questions relating to the topics I was interested in tutoring.

Interview Questions

• What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how would you explain it to your student?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The online interview process was pretty standard. I easily passed the screening and went to a second interview, but their platform didn't allow me to create a new tutor account after I had already created a "teacher" account to check out the tools.

Long story short, since it took me a few days to respond to their second interview email, they redacted the offer! I explained that it wasn't my primary email and if it was possible to transfer my tutor account, but they didn't even listen. They lost a top-rated tutor, but I didn't miss out. There are plenty of tutoring companies that pay more and treat their tutors better.

Interview Questions

• Explain the concepts of [Chemistry, Calculus] tona student who understands the fundamentals but not sure how to approach this problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was an online process. There were 5 questions during the whole process. I had to given one written response regarding my standardized testing. The rest of the questions needed to be recorded responses. You will have 30 seconds to prepare and 3 minutes to give a response. The last question allows for you to choose one or more concept-based questions. You basically have 10 minutes to prepare a mini lecture and 10 minutes to record your response. The other questions were based on background, experience,etc.

Interview Questions

• How would your adjust your teaching style for various age groups?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you are qualified for the position?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2017.

Interview

The interview was pretty easy. There were 5 questions given on your computer. Some were filmed and some were written. The company got back to me within a day after I submitted my interview, so the process was very quick.

Interview Questions

• They give you a list of various scenarios of a student who is having a trouble with a certain subject. You have 10 minutes to give a brief overview of how you would help the student with the problem. You get to decide which scenario and subject area you address.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Columbus, OH) in August 2017.

Interview

Digital interview and then phone interview. They were very courteous and helpful throughout the process from beginning to end. I would recommend the to anyone that wants to supplement their income.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience in teaching students reading and reading comprehension.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Las Vegas, NV) in August 2017.

Interview

After submitting the application, you receive a link to do a video interview. This consists of about 5 questions and goes over your work history, tutoring experiences, and gives you and asks you to respond to some mock tutoring scenarios.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

One of the easiest interview processes I've ever undergone. Video interview, followed by a phone interview and subject assessments for subjects you want to tutor for. Interviewer was hilarious and really chill.

Interview Questions

• How would you teach the concept of DNA and nucleobases to a struggling student?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in June 2017.

Interview

Hirevue video followed by phone interview. I had a positive experience with both, but wasn't offered the job with no reason given.

I see a lot of posts online from tutors saying they are college students and that VT is their first teaching job. I'm a certified teacher with several years of test prep tutoring experience, and I have a lot of references from students who I have helped get into college. I'm personable, positive, and interview well. The interviewer seemed impressed by my answers to the hypothetical tutoring situations so I was surprised when they sent me an email saying they didn't want to hire me as a contractor. I'm not sure what they are looking for in a tutor. Maybe they prefer inexperienced tutors over professionals?