Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2017

2.5

Tutor Interview

Interview

I filled out their application on LinkedIn. They asked for proof of AP scores I earned as a student and a bachelor's degree. Shortly afterwards they contacted me for a short phone interview which was not technical. They followed up with a online video interview. Before this second interview, I had to identify subjects I could teach on their website and take quizzes on them. The second interview mainly assessed proficiency in my areas of expertise (I had to answer a few questions and explain how I would teach the student the content).

Interview Questions

• If you were asked a question you couldn't answer for a student, what would your say?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation for online tutoring. They pay $15 an hour to tutors living in my zip.

Other Interview Reviews for Varsity Tutors

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Orlando, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Easy, filled out an application and followed with a video interview with preset questions that took 15 minutes. Asked about my specific qualifications and then followed with a phone interview a week later which I was offered on the spot.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

There is an initial interview with Hirevue, then a phone interview. Hirevue is recorded via your webcam and is pretty intensive. Be prepared to talk about pedagogy. Most of the questions involved "how would you do x, y, or z."

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a student who needed help with a paper?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I highly suggest negotiating for $20/hr online.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

An online questionnaire, then a video interview, then a short phone interview. Then I signed some forms online. The whole process was virtual. I used my computer. I had to submit my test scores and write a bio.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was an online screening followed by followup phone call - the interview process was extremely convenient for me and was a very pleasant experience. I was extremely impressed by the amount of organization shown by this initial interview process.

Interview Questions

• How would teach a student how to improve conversation french skills   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I filled out a short application on the website. Heard immediately by email that they wanted me to do a 20 min video interview. The video interview had 14 questions about tutoring style and past experiences, took closer to 45 minutes for me to complete. Also,there were different exams on the website for me to take to be certified to tutor those subjects. A couple hours later I was emailed to have a phone call with an HR rep. The phone call was not really an interview, just to ask a few quick questions on my tutoring availability and then offered me the contractor position. The whole process was very simple!

Interview Questions

• If you had a student who didn't understand your the lecture style for tutoring, how would you approach it / what steps would you take?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in December 2016.

Interview

There is an online interview where a prerecorded video asks you questions and you record a video response for some questions and write a response for others, then there's a quick phone call, and online assessments of the subjects you are trying to tutor.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process went over a bunch of different questions that had to do with the math and science subjects I said I could tutor. Overall, the interview experience was not bad and I enjoyed the person I interviewed with. This company is on top of making sure that its tutors know the material they are teaching inside and out.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

Phone interview answered a few basic math questions and then a video interview with more involved math questions of a variety of levels. Online interview used their interface that you would use with the students so had to show that you could work with that.

Interview Questions

• What is the pythagorean theorem?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Houston, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

After you submit your application you are sent a link to an application called Hirevue which lets you record an online interview. You are given time to answer some questions but its a bit intimidating as you're talking to a camera and not to a person.