Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions

Updated Feb 5, 2017

2.5

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

There is an initial interview with Hirevue, then a phone interview. Hirevue is recorded via your webcam and is pretty intensive. Be prepared to talk about pedagogy. Most of the questions involved "how would you do x, y, or z."

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a student who needed help with a paper?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I highly suggest negotiating for $20/hr online.

Other Interview Reviews for Varsity Tutors

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

An online questionnaire, then a video interview, then a short phone interview. Then I signed some forms online. The whole process was virtual. I used my computer. I had to submit my test scores and write a bio.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I filled out a short application on the website. Heard immediately by email that they wanted me to do a 20 min video interview. The video interview had 14 questions about tutoring style and past experiences, took closer to 45 minutes for me to complete. Also,there were different exams on the website for me to take to be certified to tutor those subjects. A couple hours later I was emailed to have a phone call with an HR rep. The phone call was not really an interview, just to ask a few quick questions on my tutoring availability and then offered me the contractor position. The whole process was very simple!

Interview Questions

• If you had a student who didn't understand your the lecture style for tutoring, how would you approach it / what steps would you take?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in December 2016.

Interview

There is an online interview where a prerecorded video asks you questions and you record a video response for some questions and write a response for others, then there's a quick phone call, and online assessments of the subjects you are trying to tutor.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process went over a bunch of different questions that had to do with the math and science subjects I said I could tutor. Overall, the interview experience was not bad and I enjoyed the person I interviewed with. This company is on top of making sure that its tutors know the material they are teaching inside and out.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

Phone interview answered a few basic math questions and then a video interview with more involved math questions of a variety of levels. Online interview used their interface that you would use with the students so had to show that you could work with that.

Interview Questions

• What is the pythagorean theorem?   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

Super relaxed, just about my experience and not much else. A couple questions about my location and when I'd be free to tutor. The interview was def. informal. The environment is super chill and the interviewer I had even cracked a joke, which made me really like the company.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Cincinnati, OH) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was making a fairly long and thorough video, answering several questions, so you did not actually speak to anyone live. (You've got a glitch here: Your software tells me I can submit this description as-is, but then I get an error telling me I HAVE to add more words and I can't proceed without doing so, so here are my extra words.)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Portland, OR) in August 2016.

Interview

First, I answered a short online questionnaire where I submitted my résumé for review and indicated subjects I would be interested in tutoring. It also asked for test scores. Less than 24 hours later I was invited to do a streamlined web interview, where I recorded video answers to questions about my teaching background, and ways I would tackle certain tutoring situations. It took about an hour (although it said it would only take about 20 minutes). Another short time after completing this web interview, I got an email from a recruiter who wanted to organize a phone screening. She told me to upload documents—test score reports, transcripts, and driver's license—to their online portal in the meantime, which I did. I decided, at this point (way too late), that I should do some more in-depth research on the company and how much they charged their clients for tutoring sessions. I knew already, from Glassdoor, that I couldn't expect to be paid any more than $20 an hour, and I knew that they must charge their clients more, but I wasn't prepared for how much more. After poking around a while I discovered that they might charge $45-$55 for an average tutoring hour and as much as $95 for an hour of test prep!(!!!!!!!!) I understand that the company needs to make a profit, but I wasn't about to sign up to work for a company that cheats both its clients and its employees to that degree. I wish I had done the real research earlier. I quickly sent an email to the recruiter to cancel my phone screening appointment and withdraw my application.

Interview Questions

• How does your background make you a good fit to be a tutor with Varsity Tutors?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Extremely quick and efficient. I submitted my application online and heard back a day later. The first step was to submit a digital interview, a 50 minute long video with pre-recorded questions. The first questions concerned my personal background, ie how my past experiences would make me a great fit for the position; the second half was more specifically teaching-related and included one sample case in which a specific scenario was described and I had to explain how I would teach the material in question and how I would keep the student interested and engaged.

Interview Questions

• How do your past experiences qualify you for the position?   1 Answer