Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 22, 2018

2.5

153 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Tutor Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

I went through the online interview process. The online interview provides a series of interview questions. The interviewee gets a chance to respond via a recorded video. Once submitted, you may get a phone call asking some additional follow-up questions and then an email later on with a decision.

Interview Questions

• Describe your approach to working with a student who is not responding well to your current style of tutoring.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Varsity Tutors

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

First contact is online via your own interest, followed by a phone interview to screen qualifications. Final phone interview asking more about contract and if you agree to how they work. No in person contact

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

Upon submission of required documents, approval to the platform was granted. With my credentials, the hiring process was effortless. Just provide the documents and done! Nothing more to add to this description. Thank You!

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Washington, DC) in January 2018.

Interview

The interview process was rather difficult; however, I understood why once I finally earned the title and honor of becoming a Varsity Tutor. It requires extensive work with regard to providing updated and accurate education levels and official paperwork from academic institutions, background checks, review and edits numerous times by the VT staff of your profile, resume, education/philosophy statement, picture, and subjects that they approve based on those (just to name a few). I have to say although it felt rigorous at times, I understood with each step the reason why, they are so thorough with regard to whom they select to represent them. I would do it over a thousand times (which actually we do a lot to keep everything up to date and constantly reviewed) because of how fantastic it feels to be a Varsity Tutor.

Interview Questions

• Submit a full, detailed, updated and accurate transcript of my studies to ensure that the information I provided via my resume and application were accurate; in order to establish the areas of expertise that I would be best suited to tutor. As well, a phone interview, background check, review of each aspect of my profile and subject areas were validated.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Boston, MA) in November 2017.

Interview

You have to record videos onto their third-party HR interview-automation platform. No indication about how they review them; I rambled a lot but apparently made the cut. You have to submit test scores and transcripts (just copies, not official ones), and answer a variety of long and repetitive questions about your tutoring pedagogy.

Interview Questions

• What is your tutoring style?   1 Answer
    • What would you do with a struggling student?   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

There is an online application process that then prompts you for a taped interview. You have a few days to complete the interview which consists of a few questions that are predetermined. The questions appear on the screen and you are given a moment to prepare your response, which is recorded. At the end it asks you to select a question from the subject area you are most interested in tutoring, solve the problem, and explain the questions and concepts you would ask and reinforce with the student in order to adequately solve the problem.
    There was a follow-up phone call with a representative from the company with a couple questions.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

I conducted survey research at a university for many years and taught in secondary schools for even longer after that. As educators, we pride ourselves on clear, precise questioning for valid assessment. Varsity Tutors had about ten questions per “question” in its online interview. The email inviting me to interview said the interview would take 8 minutes or under, but I had to answer 10 questions, which had several ingermane, sub questions. The questions had little to do with quality instruction and student learning and much more to do with standardized testing. They were also poorly worded and occasionally grammatically incorrect. As a teacher, I was most disappointed about the emphasis on outcome versus process in the questions.

Interview Questions

• Do you take the SAT (or other standardized tests)? How did you score?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in October 2017.

Interview

I filled out an application online and within three days was contacted for a pre-recorded video interview where I was asked five questions, each given a specific time restraint for responding. After the interview, I had a follow-up call which asked questions relating to the topics I was interested in tutoring.

Interview Questions

• What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how would you explain it to your student?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

I found the job through indeed and applied. Within a few days they sent me a link and asked me to do a video taped interview. After that they set up a telephone call which was mostly just to tell me I had the job.

Interview Questions

• (gives multiple scenarios/subjects to choose from) pick one of the scenarios and then explain the concepts like you would to a student you are tutoring   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Two step interview. First online, then phone call. Online you answer determine what you want to tutor and you answer a few questions via video recording. Then you have to demonstrate how you would try to explain a concept from one or two of those subjects to a student that is having difficulty understanding (they provide you with the file with the questions and scenarios).

Interview Questions

• What else I've tutored and my experience.   Answer Question
    • They also asked, during the phone interview, how I would explain a specific concept to a student.   Answer Question
    • Reasons I want to be a tutor.   Answer Question