Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2017

2.5

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

online via webcam with a very nice lady who asked some questions about my academic background. after the questions, she asked me to explain some math problems to her as if i was teaching a client.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Varsity Tutors

Tutor Interview

Interview

I filled out their application on LinkedIn. They asked for proof of AP scores I earned as a student and a bachelor's degree. Shortly afterwards they contacted me for a short phone interview which was not technical. They followed up with a online video interview. Before this second interview, I had to identify subjects I could teach on their website and take quizzes on them. The second interview mainly assessed proficiency in my areas of expertise (I had to answer a few questions and explain how I would teach the student the content).

Interview Questions

• If you were asked a question you couldn't answer for a student, what would your say?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation for online tutoring. They pay $15 an hour to tutors living in my zip.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in March 2017.

Interview

First interview is through an online system with pre-prompted questions and video recording. Once the question is prompted, you are given a short amount of time to prep before you have to begin recording. Overall it wasn't too bad just be prepared to answer questions about teaching philosophy. Second interview is over the phone with someone asking very similar questions to the video interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach tutoring a student who did not like the subject? How would your tutoring style change depending on the students age? If you had a student who did not understand DNA base pairings, how would you best explain this topic? (subject specific question)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Orlando, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Easy, filled out an application and followed with a video interview with preset questions that took 15 minutes. Asked about my specific qualifications and then followed with a phone interview a week later which I was offered on the spot.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

There is an initial interview with Hirevue, then a phone interview. Hirevue is recorded via your webcam and is pretty intensive. Be prepared to talk about pedagogy. Most of the questions involved "how would you do x, y, or z."

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a student who needed help with a paper?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I highly suggest negotiating for $20/hr online.

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Provo, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview is done via webcam. It is not live; rather, you have a certain amount of time to answer a question on your computer cam. After you submit your questions, a representative contacts you to talk briefly about how the company works and other information that they would like you to submit.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what I would do to prepare for a tutoring session.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

An online questionnaire, then a video interview, then a short phone interview. Then I signed some forms online. The whole process was virtual. I used my computer. I had to submit my test scores and write a bio.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was an online screening followed by followup phone call - the interview process was extremely convenient for me and was a very pleasant experience. I was extremely impressed by the amount of organization shown by this initial interview process.

Interview Questions

• How would teach a student how to improve conversation french skills   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in January 2017.

Interview

Sent basic information, invited to do online video interview, then phone interview, then hired. Very easy process, took no more than a few weeks total. For the online video interview, there were maybe 10 questions, with time to prepare for each question followed by a single recording session. To be certified to tutor a certain subject, a 10 questions quiz must be taken.

Interview Questions

• What subjects I would tutor in, and what makes me qualified to tutor in these subjects.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Akron, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was thorough and incisive, but reasonably quick. The interviewers were focused and informed, and I enjoyed talking with them. We discussed the full range of aspects of this sort of tutoring, and its purpose and goals, and how it would benefit the students. It was a helpful process and they were a joy to talk with.

Interview Questions

• They asked about teaching experience.   1 Answer