Venn Group Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Venn Group Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview Questions

Interviews at Venn Group

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Venn Group (Leeds, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I heard about Venn Group through an agency and I was booked in for an interview within a couple of days. My first stage interview was a really positive experience. I was asked questions about my personality, my CV and what I knew about the company and recruitment. I was also given a lot more information about the business which was both interesting and useful. I was told at the end of it that I had been successful. I really liked the office. Everybody sits in one big room and each team has a big table that they share. My interviewer spoke a lot about the social side of working there and I walked away from the interview thinking what a great place to work Venn Group would be.
My second stage interview was booked by the rec to rec agency for just a few days after my first. I arrived 10 minutes early but was sat waiting over 40 minutes for my interviewer to come and see me (he was over half an hour late.) I did receive an apology for this, but no explanation. Once the interview did get going, it was very much a repeat of my first stage interview but with somebody else. I was also asked a few situational questions, for example what would I do if I found out from a colleague that one of my candidates used to be an unreliable alcoholic?
The rec to rec agency arranged a third interview for me over the phone with a director. It was arranged that he would call me at a set time on a set date. Unfortunately, he failed to make contact when he had arranged to. I reported this to the rec to rec agency and they, later, managed to make contact with him. Only then did he apologise, claiming an unexpected client event to be the reason he missed our telephone interview. This apology was made through the rec to rec agency and hours after our scheduled interview. I had to phone the rec to rec agency, who in turn phoned Venn Group to rearrange the missed interview. I was given a new date and time, and told this time I was to call him (which suggested to me that it's likely this director is not very good at keeping to phone appointments.) When I called him he claimed he was unable to conduct the telephone interview and blamed the rec to rec agency for not giving me a brief. He suggested we forget about the phone interview and meet in person instead.
The rec to rec agency arranged for us to meet in person later that week. I arrived and was seen punctually, but left to wait in excess of half an hour twice during the interview. The interviewer offered no apology in regards to the failed phone interviews, or for wasting my time in any way. I was asked questions about my CV, my desire to work in recruitment and my interests before doing a sales role play. With the excessive waiting times, this process took two and a half hours. I had been made to feel like a burden on a busy office all morning and felt relieved to be walking away.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Venn Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Venn Group (Leeds, England (UK)) in June 2018.

Interview

Initial telephone interview, face to face with the manager, second round face to face interview with the MD.

Both face to face interviews are in relaxed environment, they want to know your motivations to getting into recruitment and you need to convince them that you're in for the long haul.

Interview Questions

• Why recruitment? Why us? Why now? Typical day in recruitment?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Venn Group (Leeds, England (UK)) in October 2018.

Interview

I was contacted through a R2R agency. I did a telephone interview, followed by a face to face interview. I was quite disappointed that the interviewer showed up very late, and that the first thing I was asked to do when I went into the office was to sign away my right to a 48-hour working week.

When the interviewer arrived, he greeted me with a limp handshake and didn't apologise for being late. The pay I was advised of was quite poor at £18k, which is far less than their competitors, and I was advised there was essentially no lunch, and working hours were from 8.30am - 6pm every day. Even the commission didn't seem that great, with average earnings at £24k in the first year, which you can earn in a normal day job with normal hours. I had advised before I went that I had recruitment experience, so I was surprised at their lack of flexibility on salary, particularly as the pay is exceptionally low already.

They advised that there are only 4 training days a year, something which concerned me as this job is a Trainee role, and I felt they hadn't given any indication of an intent to train you properly. They did, however, say that the office is sociable and that you get monthly appraisals, which is good, but standard. The office itself was central, and it seemed nice enough.

To my disappointment, in the interview, I was advised that this interview was the first of four, despite having already had two telephone interviews. I was told that I'd have the meeting with my prospective manager, and then with a senior manager, and then a director, followed by a 3-day trial where you work there and they assess if you'd be a good fit. The whole thing came across as if they didn't really trust their staff to make a decision on moving a candidate forward.

In the actual interview, I was asked some questions around my experience, and I went through what I'd done which was fine. I was asked if I liked to drink, which I found was an odd question to ask. I felt this bordered on inappropriate as some people might not drink for religious or health reasons, and you shouldn't really be judging people's suitability for a job based on their alcohol intake. There were also a couple of other questions asked around your biggest failure and examples of someone who works very hard, which I thought were ok questions.

I was also asked if I had a driving license. I advised that I didn't, and asked if it precluded me from getting the job. They said that it didn't if you were good enough, but that you would have to learn. I would have preferred for them to have been upfront before the interview that this could have had an impact, and I probably wouldn't have shown up. They also asked why you wanted to work for Venn Group, which is as a fair question. They said that Venn Group was laid back and not corporate. From the limited interaction with other employees, they seemed friendly, but everyone was in suits, so it did feel quite corporate.

Generally though, I was disappointed with Venn Group. The interviewer came across as quite unprofessional, and I, obviously, wouldn't have accepted a job with them and I'm certain that became apparent after their poor introduction. Their feedback to me was that I seemed nice, but didn't seem genuine in my answers, seemed to lack passion, seemed nervous and seemed closed off. Rather annoyingly, they advised their recruiter that part of the reason they'd rejected me because of how I answered a question on what I do in my spare time. I listed my hobbies, but the recruiter at Venn Group, said that I'd answered that question with something totally different, which is annoying as is shows that they weren't even listening in the interview anyway.

Despite that, I do think that Venn Group has the potential to be a good company, but unfortunately they aren't competitive, and in my experience, they don't treat candidates or employees well.

Interview Questions

• Who is the hardest working person you know?
      Do you like to drink?   Answer Question

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Venn Group (London, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

I had been approached by the talent acquisition manager who was very agreeable and professional. After a couple of conversations on the phone, she invited me to interview at their Strand office. I arrived at the office and underwent the first stage interview which was respectful and quite easy. After finding out that I was successful in the first stage of interviews, I was referred to the team leader of finance recruitment as that was where my first interviewer thought I would be best placed. I was given a small amount of information about my interviewer from LinkedIn and waited around two hours for him to become available.

The second stage interview was one of the most anomalous interviews I have even had. The intervoewer asked vague questions to which (as he revealed later) only precise answers would have been acceptable. For example, he asked "what is the biggest decision you've ever made?". I had to clarify myself whether he meant on work or in life; he meant in life. This interview was also based entirely on negative questions designed to highlight ones weaknesses rather than strengths, this gave the impression that he wasn't interested in finding out if I could do the job.

In the feedback that he gave me immediately after the interview, he revealed that he was expecting to find out whether I was refelctive enough to be able to improve my sales ability by learning from mistakes. Despite the fact that I'm an incredibly reflective person, almost to a detriment and this comes across in conversation, he felt that I did not represent that by failing to answer his question "correctly". He said I should have given more relevant answers despite the fact that most of the questions he asked were supposed to use examples from my personal life rather than my work; highly unprofessional. This interviewer also failed to understand the answers I gave at almost every turn to the point where I thought he was joking when he said, "I don't follow". Also there were several occasions where his responses to my remarks indicated that he didn't understand fully what I was saying although I wasn't being clear; he would then cut me off before I could set him straight. This suggested that he was inexperienced and disrespectful.

He also repeatedly tried to pile on the pressure by rejecting my answers to his questions in the interview, right then and there: e.g. when have you failed anything other than a driving test or exam? When I made a point of saying that I don't consider things I have done to be a failure, he would repeatedly say well no one's perfect come on, tell me. Frankly, someone at that level should be able to tell if a candidate is being truthful but in the feedback, he claimed that I was "shying away" from the question when in fact, if he used his brain, he would have realised that using unfavourable situations as learning experiences is the most beneficial way to look at "failure" and actually did demonstrate the reflectiveness he so valued.

No company should allow someone with such a demonstrably miniscule quantity of emotional intelligence to interview prospective candidates, particularly if they are interested in growing a well adjusted workforce. Nor should they allow a person like that to be in charge of other people. For such a low salary for London graduates (£20k) and 0 commission for the first 5 months, no one would be willing to work under someone with such a low level of interpersonal skills. They haven't even bothered to get back to me regarding interviewing for another team which my first interviewer implied would be a possibility. I will not lose any sleep about this because, as the interviewer said himself, there are companies which pay you more, ask you to work fewer hours and are not as thankless as Venn Group.

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Venn Group (Birmingham, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

As said below, I was also arranged an interview with Venn Group by a recruitment agency so thought let's just go for it, even though I had read a few bad reviews I thought it might have been different! Oh how I was wrong, from the minute the interviewer walked in she didn't make me feel welcome. No small talk e.g. how are you today, did you find getting here ok? etc. Just stuff to ask you know before you get into depth, the first thing she said was 'so why are you here?' in a very straight forward manner which struck me back a bit.

She had been sent my C.V from the recruitment agency, yet still told me that I didn't make it through the interview stage as 'she felt I didn't have enough experience in sales' yet surely she should have seen my C.V before she interviewed me? weird?
    Also, some very personal questions asked that were very patronising and were made to make me feel ashamed of achieving a 2:1 at Uni in Law!!!!! When I think this is perfectly fine and any other employer would also feel the same.
    So, in the end I am glad that I didn't get accepted as I wouldn't want to work for somebody who treats people like this.

Interview Questions

• 1- Did you ever have any childhood dreams of what you wanted to be when you grew up?
      2- Why didn't you get a 1st at uni instead of a 2:1?
      3- Do you feel that you could have done anything more to get a 1st instead of a 2:1   1 Answer

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Venn Group (Birmingham, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Had an interview with Venn last week. A recruiter found my cv and contacted me to ask if I would like him to set me up an interview, I of course said yes. I thoroughly researched the company but really didn't need to bother as I wasn't asked what I knew about the company or why I wanted to work there. Interviewer was late to the meeting and generally acted as if he didn't want to be there from the start. He asked why I should be hired over someone with experience (I am a very recent graduate). After I answered he asked if I had any questions for him which I found odd as that's usually the last thing asked in an interview. He then went on to ask what sales experience I had despite the fact that he had my cv in front of him. In fact he didn't really look at me at all throughout the meeting and instead looked at the papers in front of him. It was a very short interview and I was not surprised at all to be told the next day that I hadn't been put through to the next stage. I was told I came across very well but lacked experience.

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Venn Group (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

standard process at the start,
    1 - quick phone interview,
    2 - Face-to-Face interview,
    3 - another face-to-face with either manager or director
    4 - (role play) do a sales pitch to a manager with hypothetical business idea you have
    Can take long time for them to give you an offer, but during the process you get to meet a lot of people involved.

Interview Questions

• why recruitment?
      why Venn group, what makes us unique?
      what are your weaknesses?
      what was your biggest challenge you faced?
      could you have done any better? (if you got 2:2 for uni)
      why did you get the results you got?
      are you happy about it?   1 Answer

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Venn Group (London, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

Had a call from Jonny with a short phone interview.
    Arranged for the first interview whcih was carried out by Jonny in london then had one with a directer straight after.
    Invited back for a second interview with another director.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Venn Group (Leeds, England (UK)).

Interview

My interview was arranged through a recruitment consultant. I attended a 50 minute interview and was told more about the company. It was relaxed and the man interviewing was very friendly, but did interrupt alot when I hadn't really finished my answers to the important questions.

Interview Questions

• Why recruitment?
      What do you know about Venn Group?
      What makes you memorable?
      Why would you be good at recruitment?   Answer Question

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Venn Group (Manchester, England (UK)) in January 2018.

Interview

Attended two interviews....
    During the first I was told that the interview process was 4 interviews and a week's work
    placement before any offer was made... this was for an 18k job!

Second interview I was asked to sell paper.... a bit ridiculous
    Bonus in the job is a group bonus not individual, from my experience in sales I know that when bizarre bonus structures are given it's done to make the company a saving so I'm guessing the bonus is not as good as it should be

The people that interviewed me were alright but generally the interview process was a massive waste of my time

Interview Questions

• Sell me this sheet of paper   1 Answer