Vera Institute Of Justice Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Vera Institute Of Justice Interview Questions

2.8

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vera Institute Of Justice (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

Two interview process - the first was a 30 minute Skype interview with the Director of the Center and the Associate Director. My interview process after the first interview was a bit different because I received a competing offer - the timeline was crunched a bit. I was also interviewing having worked with the Director on another project where my current employer was partnered with Vera. The second interview was supposed to be about two weeks later, but due to competing offer, I had second interview and an offer within 72 hours of my first interview.

Interview Questions

• Why Vera? How do you approach planning projects? What is your working style? How do you approach conflict within the work environment? What is your greatest strength? What do you think you can bring to the position?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vera Institute Of Justice (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Easy going interview and interview process. I think what disturbed me was hearing that Vera not only checks your references but will call former employers who were not on your reference list to assess your candidacy. My problem with this is 1) its a violation of privacy - as an applicant my reference list should suffice. 2) I'm surprised that an organization that so strongly advocates for criminals and immigrants and giving them second chances would be so old fashioned and hard lined when reviewing references. We all have had insane managers or coworkers who made everyone's life hell. What is it with Vera's concept that coworkers NOT on your reference list would be evolved enough to give a fair reference. It's silly and does not fit with the reality of our world. Aside from Vera - All organizations should be better equipt to assess a candidates skills via interviews and writing tests.

Program Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vera Institute Of Justice.

Interview

Applied online and heard back the next day for a phone screening. Heard back a week after that for an in-person ~1 hour interview. Had to fill out a lot of paperwork before the in-person interview and turn in a writing sample and references. Heard back about a week after the in-person interview for a round of Skype interviews with team members from another office, which involved 45 mins. with one person, 30 mins. with two people, and another 30 mins. with two other people. Skype interviews were followed directly by a 40 min. writing test which included some Excel data manipulation- nothing too tough, but I'm not sure why it wasn't mentioned before the test. Waited a week with no news, checked in and was told more time was needed. Waited two weeks and heard nothing before checking in again, finally heard back days later that they went another direction.

Everyone was very nice, but the process was rather disorganized. I was asked to fill out the same paperwork a few times and people weren't sure what had been done so far or who I had already spoken with. I was asked almost all the same questions during the interviews which was repetitive and made it seem like nobody had discussed previous interviews. Overall, I don't regret applying, but I would recommend they streamline their interview process and communication. It would have been nice to hear back sooner after going through a 2+ month long process.

Interview Questions

• What is your ideal management style? What do you like in a supervisor? Have you worked on government contracts?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vera Institute Of Justice (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied on-line. Within a week i received an email scheduling a 1st round phone interview. It took about 30 minutes. Then within a week I was told to schedule a 2nd round in person interview. I talked with 4 staff of the department, both mid and senior levels. Took a excel test at the end of the interview. After 2-3 weeks I was told they decided to pursue another candidate.

Research Associate/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vera Institute Of Justice (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Screening by phone initially, then in-person interview. 3 weeks for response from phone screen, out of five candidates. Was not invited back for in person interview. Basic questions asked, nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here, why mental health/substance use   1 Answer

Senior Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vera Institute Of Justice (New York, NY).

Interview

I was interviewed by the person I was going to work for by phone and then invited in for an in person interview. I had to complete a timed test. A decision was made within about three weeks.

Interview Questions

• How long did I see myself in the role of Senior Program Associate?   1 Answer

Undergraduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Vera Institute Of Justice (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I reached out to some attorneys in the department in which I wanted to intern. I sent them my resume, and they got back to me offering to schedule a Skype interview the next day. The interview was not high-pressure - they wanted to get to know me and my background.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Vera Institute Of Justice.

Interview

Lengthy process that spanned over months, including phone and face to face interviews. Ask the standard questions, such as 'what interested you about the position?' 'why do you want to work for them?' 'what can you contribute?', etc.

They seemed less prepared for questions about their research.

I also found it odd that I was told that I could ask questions, but not 'too many'. I'm not sure what the quota on questions was.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions but found it uncomfortable that they permitted someone to eaves drop on my phone conversation with the interviewer. The person interrupted during the interview to ask a question and was quickly shushed. Apparently I wasn't meant to know they were listening. Not sure why it wasn't made transparent that there was more than one person conducting the phone interview. Or why I was told that the reason I was on speaker phone was so that the interviewer could take notes rather than than the truth, that the interview was to be conducted by more than one person. Very odd, indeed.   Answer Question

Interview

Normal Interview, asking about why I was interested in Vera, my strengths and weaknesses, why I was interested in criminal justice

Interview Questions

• What are 3 words that you would use to describe yourself   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vera Institute Of Justice (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

Received email telling me I needed to interview. Casual interview on the phone. They asked me about my resume and why I was applying for the position. Also asked me to expand on the writing sample I submitted and so I gave them the details. The interview was more informational than anything

Interview Questions

• how do you integrate in teams   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation