Verizon Wireless Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017
1,815 Interview Reviews

Customer Service Representative, Call Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Verizon Wireless (Irvine, CA).

Interview

The worst job interview that I have ever had!! The interview was at their former call center in Irvine, California (call center closed as of May, 2014). The interview occurred several years ago. I did a phone interview/screening, and passed that. I was then invited to the call center to take a call center simulation test. The facility was in Irvine, CA so it was a generic looking cookie cutter business office like the rest of Irvine. There was a gym inside.

The test from what I recall was like a call center simulation, which required you to select the best customer service satisfaction answers. After the test, I was told to wait back in the lobby. The human resources rep came back, and told me that I had passed, and that she wanted to get me into a training group that was starting the following week. I thought, "Great I've got the job." Then she told me that I had to wait while she found a manager who would then interview me. I waited 15-minutes or so thinking that the interview was just a formality/rubber stamp.

The rep and the manager met me. As soon as she left he looked at my resume, and said, "Oh no. We aren't hiring you."

He takes me into a small conference room, and starts berating me. He tells me that I've had too many jobs. My response was that some of those jobs were part time ones that I had while an undergraduate student, and that some of the other ones were TEMP AGENCY jobs that I had after being laid off etc. That shut him up, but he continued. He asked why I was a fit for the company. I told him that I had customer service experience, leadership skills, a college degree, and that I wanted to earn a masters degree, which would benefit the company. He barked out, "We're not going to pay for that!" My response to him was, who said that VZW was going to pay for it? That shut him up again.

The WEIRDEST occurrence in the interview was when his pen stopped working. I had an extra BRAND NEW pen, and I offered to let him use it. He barks out, "No!" He then walks out of the room for about five minutes, and then returns back with a pen.

The manager was basically trying to instigate me to flip out on him. He was basically trying to get me super angry so he could end the interview. I stayed cool, which seemed to annoy him. Sometime after I got home, I contacted VZW HR, and told them about the interview, and that the manager was unprofessional etc. Their response was that I could reapply in six months. I had read on a now defunct job venting website that the managers at the VZW call centers disliked hiring people with degrees because they saw them as competition for possible job advancement. I totally believe that was the case because the interviewing manager was extremely hostile towards me for no apparent reason.

The interview was process was average (phone screen, call center simulation), but the manager who did the actual interview was basically a jerk. And NO, I did not reapply to VZW.

Interview Questions

• Asked why I was a good fit for the company/why should they hire me.   1 Answer
    • Stated that I had too many previous jobs.   1 Answer

Retail Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Verizon Wireless.

Interview

This was the third position I applied for - I had two previous promotions. I will describe each:
    - Assistant Store Manager: Very long process. I interviewed with HR first (phone screening) and then waited for a number of weeks before being called for a face-to-face interview. The face-to-face was with 2 interviewers and the questions were extremely difficult. They were almost all situational, and some were hard to understand. We also had to do a mock sales presentation. I must have done well enough though, because I was selected to have another interview with the DM. I again did some roll playing (which I never did before) and ended up getting the position. The entire process took 4 months.

- Business Sales Executive: The Sales Manager I was interviewing with was in southern NJ and I had to drive several hours to meet with him. Again the interview was a lot of situational questions, but this process was very quick. It was with just one person and it was very conversational. I received this job as well.

- Retail Store Manager: This was a very tough interview. First interview was with the DM where I had to not only answer many situational questions, but also had to present an annual action plan, which was picked apart. I passed through this level and then interviewed with the Regional Sales Director and the Regional HR Director. I also received this job.

The good thing about the interview processes, is that they use consistent interview guides. Once you get used to the VZW style, the interview Q&A section isn't so bad.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember exactly; however, they were all situational questions. Such as, "Tell me about you mentored a coworker. How did you mentor them and what as the outcome?"   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangor, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Verizon Wireless (Bangor, ME).

Interview

First was a brief phone interview and then an interview in person with a management. Had to also go into the center to take an assessment test about how you would handle certain calls and to make sure that you were just able to function as a normal employee.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle someone who may call in upset?   1 Answer

Customer Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Verizon Wireless (Huntsville, AL).

Interview

Online assessment, phone interview, face to face interview. STAR questions during phone interview and face to face. Role play of phone conversations during face to face interview. Just be prepared to answer questions in the STAR format. Also have a good clear speaking voice for the role play. Online assessment requires some multitasking abilities.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Verizon?   1 Answer

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Verizon Wireless (Framingham, MA).

Interview

I applied online and received an email just a few hours later from a recruiter stating to complete an assessment. Once I finished, she had me choose a date and time for a phone interview. Phone interview consisted of basic interview behavioral questions, as well as being able to sell a product that was given via email. In my case, I had to sell some bluetooth speakers and describe the key features. After the phone interview they notify you right away if they will schedule you in for an in-person interview. This notification is usually the same day as the phone interview or the day after. I met with the store manager for the in-person interview and the questions asked were essentially the same as the ones during the phone interview. Another role-playing session was also required in which I had to sell an iPhone. After the interview they will contact you in about 1-2 weeks as to whether or not you have been chosen. I am still waiting on my notification.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult or dissatisfied customer. What did you do?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Verizon Wireless in October 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty standard. From the time I submitted my application to my first phone interview was about a week and a half.

Phone interview went well. They wanted to make sure that we understood the Verizon Credo. We went through some pretty standard sales interview questions and had a small role play at the end. This segment went really well for me. And the interviewer even discussed a possibility of applying to work with her in B to B sales.

In-Person interview was one of the most unprofessional things I've been through in my adult career. After scheduling a week ahead of time and verifying the time to arrive, I was informed that they were not expecting me. They had to go and find a manager to do the interview. The questions consisted of about the same standard questions, but it was clear that the managers who were interviewing had no concept of business to businesses sales experience. The manager heard only what he wanted to hear and rushed through the process. At no point did I feel welcome or heard during this interview. The perfect example was when asked about a time when a customer was unhappy and I retained the sale; How did I do it? I talked for about 4 minutes about different custom solutions that I put in place in order to increase our net profit. The followup question was "Did you offer a discount?" They were on a pricing agreement so I shared that negotiations were part of the portfolio of solutions. The man said "So basically you gave the customer a discount?"

The man wasn't interested in hearing what was being said and clearly had his mind made up before I stepped foot into the interview. Perhaps being overdressed in a suit and tie was my mistake.

In any case. The job offer was not extended after this mockery of an interview.

Overall, I would say that up until the in person interview, this was a positive experience. But with a lack of understanding of sales and no sales scenario during the in person, I'm glad I didn't take this job.

Interview Questions

• Explain what the Verizon Credo means to you.   1 Answer
    • Explain a time when a customer felt like their needs were not being met. What did you do, and what was the outcome of the situation.   1 Answer
    • What makes you more qualified than anyone else applying for this position?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Penn, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Verizon Wireless (Penn, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online at the Verizon Wireless website and submitted my resume. After a week, I received an email telling me I had to finish a video style interview before the end of the week. The video asked 4 behavioral type questions and allowed you to reattempt every video unlimited amount of times. It was very easy and it was the first interview, so expect to have more difficult tests if you move on.

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with confrontation in a team setting?   Answer Question

Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Verizon Wireless (Lake Mary, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and shortly afterwards did an online video interview in which questions popped up on the screen and I had to record myself answering them. It was a bit weird and intimidating at first but it was pretty standard questions and wasn't too bad. Almost a month after that I was called and had a phone screen interview that was pretty standard as well, nothing challenging. Several weeks later I was invited to go their Finance/accounting office in Lake Mary, for an in-person interview. They paid for my hotel, and I interviewed with 4 different members of their accounting team for 30 min each. They had a paper with canned behavioral questions. Tell me about a time that you did this or that. Some of the interviews were pretty conversational but they all asked the behavioral questions which I hate. Overall, enjoyable process albeit a bit slow but that is what you expect with a huge corporation like Verizon. Also no drug test, but they do a thorough background check and verify past employment so do not lie about any previous work experience, or years worked. I read other reviews on here and it was pretty much spot on.

Interview Questions

• Why Verizon?
      Why did you major in accounting?
      Tell me about a time you showed leadership?
      Other standard behavioral questions, nothing was any different than any other accounting interviews that I had
      1 Answer

Negotiation

Offer was non-negotiable, but was competitive with the market rate.

Call Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Verizon Wireless (Alpharetta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

After I initially passed the online personality assessment, I received an email about scheduling a phone interview within the 24-48 hrs. The email gave very detailed instructions about what to go over (benefits, Credo etc.) On the phone interview, the recruiter Interview was pretty straight forward he asked me typical interview questions and there was also about 2 mock phone scenarios as well. After that he set me up to be scheduled for a second interview at the call center. She decided to go over my resume and ask me how my previous employment would be essential to working there. There was also a roll playing portion with was pretty self explanatory, you have to sell your current wireless device. In total, the face to face interview was maybe an hour at most.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you were challenged on your current job. What happened and what did you do to get through it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate anything. I was more than pleased with the offer.

Payroll Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Verizon Wireless (Lake Mary, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position online on October 8th received a email on October 11th about a phone interview had my phone interview on October 14th. It went great......received an email on October 19th to come in for a face to face interview on October 20th. The f2f went great or so I thought, the manager informed me she loved me as a candidate and I would hear something in about a week from her. Needless to say the week came and went it is now November 20th a full month after the f2f interview. I have sent 2 follow up emails with no response...... Why do companies do that? If I have taken time away from my current job and spent money, time and effort preparing for this interview common courtesy would be to send some type of email whether it's a thank you no thank you email it shouldn't matter just send some type of notice.