Vertex Pharmaceuticals Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2017

2.9

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Boston, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the hiring manager and shortly thereafter was called in with high urgency (one day's notice) for three hours of interviews with little information about who I would be meeting with. There was a lot of movement and excitement about the position and great enthusiasm about my experience, background, and potential fit. HR followed up with me twice with "we're still interested, it has been crazy around here" phone calls in the following months. It has been four months since I interviewed and still have yet to hear a definite response. This is not the first I've heard of this practice with Vertex. Irresponsible HR practices and disrespectful of candidate's time.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vertex Pharmaceuticals.

Interview

Applied through the college internship program and also on the company's website.
    Had a phone screen interview and after was invited to an onsite interview. Onsite, there were three consecutive interviews half an hour each.
    Great experience. Everyone was very friendly.
    Resume questions along with behavioral and technical questions.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vertex Pharmaceuticals in October 2016.

Interview

5 people over two days. Professional and friendly atmosphere. Each interviewer had their own questions and did not seem scripted. The interviewers were department based but from peers through senior positions.

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Cambridge, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by recruiter who was very professional and easy to talk to. Two weeks later, I received call from the hiring manager who was very rude and impatient. First of all he called me late than the defined time. He was not speaking very clearly and was not willing to listen what I did and how I did. He asked me one question and than before I complete my answer he jumped to some arbitrary question. After that question he said he has no more questions. It was weirdest interview I have ever gave.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

Very poor experience overall - I was initially very happy to receive a voicemail from the recruiter, requesting a phone interview. It was difficult to schedule a call however as they refused to e-mail me, so we left one another a number of voicemails. Initial phone screen was pretty straightforward and was fine. The second phone interview however, with the hiring manager, was terrible. The manager was all business, not even a How Are You Today? Seemed like a 30 minute interrogation. When that was finally over, I decided it was not the best place for me. Re-confirmed my suspicion when I received a follow-up call telling me that the initial HR recruiter had left the company. Seems like a high-turnover company, values results and not people.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you were faced with a challenging situation.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

Application online, 1.5 months of silence. Phone interview, in-person interview 2 weeks later, offer 2 days later.
    In-person interview was full day of meetings with people in the department with a 1 hour seminar.

Interview Questions

• All the usual questions - lots of technical - theoretical questions about projects.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

initial phone interview with vertex recruiter, then phone interview with Director of department after which i was invited in for face to face interview with Director , 2 other associate directors then a presentation to them.

Interview Questions

• do you fare well in a high pressure fast paced environment?   1 Answer

Senior Scientific Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Boston, MA).

Interview

- Applied online through referral
    - Received phone call from one of the technical managers,~30 mins introducing myself & discussing the group / position
    - Flown to Boston for interview. Had dinner with some of the members, following 8-10 back to back 45 minute interviews with Managers/Directors, Engineers/Scientists, and HR

~ 2 weeks later I received a call saying I gave a good interview but they chose another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Several questions asking about my specific experience from my resume, sometimes repetitive

- Why Vertex?
      - What is something you didn’t enjoy from your previous work experiences?
      - A time where you identified a problem & then went ahead to solve it?
      - How did you work with others, who have several other projects, to help them prioritize to complete your goals on time?
      - Explain a technical concept.
      - Name a time you had conflicting opinions and how you convinced others in moving forward?
      - Greatest technical accomplishment, and why?
      - What challenges do you see for taking this job?
      - Thoughts on GMP environment?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vertex Pharmaceuticals (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

It was phone interview and Overall the interview was good.
    The interviewer was kind and generous. Human resource department was also good because she sent me emails very quickly for my questions about the interview.
    It was good experience and most questions was focusing on my research and problem solution skills.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

3 interviews over phone
    1 HR
    1 Department head
    1 Analyst
    They were spaced out with the HR happening first and the other two rounds happening over a weeks time . The interviewers were very encouraging and to the point.
    They were very flexible with scheduling the dates for the interview based on my availability.
    They did speed up the process as well when I informed them that I had very little time to apply for work authorization .

Interview Questions

• Career choice , projects , previous relevant work experience   Answer Question