Veterans United Home Loans Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Veterans United Home Loans (Columbia, MO) in April 2014.

Interview

Very casual. They want to get to know who YOU are. They are hiring a person, not a resume. Be yourself, be positive and be honest. Know the values before you interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at VU?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Veterans United Home Loans (Columbia, MO).

Interview

Had a phone interview, then came into their office for 2 back to back interviews with HR and technical teams. They were very friendly and polite, and did their best to answer my questions. When I asked what computers they used they kinda beat around the bush and didn't answer my question. They said essentially everything because thats what the company as a whole uses, they didn't answer specifically related to the job I was interviewing for. It was pretty good, though their process is VERY long, they took about a month to get back to me after initially applying.

Interview Questions

• They will grill you on why you are leaving your current job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Veterans United Home Loans (Columbia, MO) in February 2012.

Interview

Had a short phone interview from an HR person. Then interviewed with the CTO and one of the other executives.

It was clear there was not a formal interview process at this time. The specific questions where what came to the mind of the interviewer at the time and were based on my own resume.

I also had to fill out an online personality test before receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my past work experience, and questions about my resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Veterans United Home Loans (Columbia, MO) in November 2014.

Interview

30 minutes with HR, 30 minutes with some devs. No algorithmic questions were asked - just general knowledge and resume questions. I believe interns that apply now are required to do paired programming for about an hour with a Technical Architect. This new pairing process for interviews isn't anything too stressful from what I've seen, mostly testing what general thoughts on OOP are.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Veterans United Home Loans (Columbia, MO) in June 2016.

Interview

Unfortunately, the worst interview process I've ever had. This is just half of it:

I applied online. After getting an email that said they were NOT interested, I got a call saying they sent the wrong email and would like to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview went well, and I was invited for an onsite interview. I arrived and the first interviewer was not ready for me. The entire office was cluttered and unattractive. I went through another meeting with HR, their Leadership team, a development team, and a pairing session. The development team members appeared like they had never interviewed a candidate before, sporadically asking unstructured questions and stepping on each others toes. The pairing session was very easy. The man who lead the interview ran into more problems with getting the project to work and his test code errors then I did with my code.

I closed the day with them asking how much I'd like to make, how soon I could start, and stating that they would get back to me within 24-48 hours. I left feeling like they were definitely going to make an offer, but I would not accept. A month goes by where I email (no reply) and call HR, where they give me a date they will get back to me by. The date comes and goes, I hear nothing. I finally get an email saying they are not going to continue the process due to my lack in experience. I don't understand their reasoning, but I don't question.

In the time it took from my onsite interview to their final email, I applied at another company, was emailed by their team, went through two rounds of different phone interviews, and was flown out of the country and back to interview with them. A week before my interview with VU, I was flown to San Francisco for a full but really good day of interviews with a different company. Overall, I was very unimpressed with Veterans United.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot about my myself, not a lot of technical questions. Only technical part was the pairing session. It is TDD and fairly easy.   Answer Question

Veterans United Home Loans Response

Aug 16, 2016 – HR Representative

We are very sorry to hear that your recruitment experience was negative. Although we typically receive very positive feedback about our Software Services interview process, which does include nearly... More

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Veterans United Home Loans (Columbia, MO).

Interview

After exchanging emails with the HR manager, a phone interview was conducted. Questions about Frameworks, PHP, and SQL were asked. Two days after the phone interview, I was called back for an in-person interview. There was very little tech talk in that real interview.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you if you don't have a college degree?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate my offer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Veterans United Home Loans (Columbia, MO) in January 2012.

Interview

I originally gave Veterans United my resume at a school career fair, not really by choice, but after they just about yelled at me to come to their booth. Setup a phone interview a couple weeks later which was all easy behavioral questions, and then received an email to set up an in person interview. They also had me do an online computer skills test and an IQ type of test. The first part of the interview consisted of more behavioral questions, then I was brought over to interview with several programmers. They mostly just asked questions about my programming experience. I received an offer the next week.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to work in a team on a project.   Answer Question

I was never very interested in the position, but there was no way I was going to consider it after the salary offer they made me... It was about $20k less than the average starting salary of a Comp Sci grad, and I recently accepted an offer that is literally more than double the Veterans United offer.

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Veterans United Home Loans (Columbia, MO).

Interview

The interview process was fine. It began with an online application, and then a face-to-face interview with the department manager in their office. It was thirty minutes long. They asked the standard interviewing questions. The questions were very straight-forward and matter-of-fact, which makes better sense over filler questions that pertain to nothing in your field. The interviewer was nice.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Veterans United Home Loans.

Interview

Very informal interview process. Only one interview, position offered at the end. Mostly fit questions. A referral at VU carries much weight. Each department has a different mentality... marketing is much more creative than production's focus on diligence and efficiency.

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Veterans United Home Loans (Columbia, MO) in August 2012.

Interview

I was recommended by a current employee I had known for a long time. After sending him my resume, I was contacted via email by one of the marketing department managers informing me that one of the internship coordinators was interested in speaking with me over the phone.

I received a phone call the next day from the coordinator. The conversation lasted about 6-8 minutes, and consisted of a brief overview of the internship and asked if I had any questions. The phone call ended with a scheduled interview.

As usual, I dressed business professional for the interview. The interview consisted of online marketing specific questions. They asked what experience I had with online marketing, if I would be willing to remain in Columbia if offered a job, and other common interview questions.

After the interview, which was not too formal (reflects the companies atmosphere), I heard back within the week being offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a problem to solve or a task to complete with no instructions or guidelines. How did you go about solving the problem or task?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Detailed in the hiring and interview process description.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Veterans United Home Loans (Columbia, MO) in April 2015.

Interview

After taking the online assessment, I was asked to meet for an interview. There I met with 3-4 employees who conducted the interview. This was my first time interviewing for a position outside of restaurant/retail work so I wasn't quite sure how to prepare but overall the questions were pretty straight forward and simple. Knowing the history and culture of the company will definitely be useful.