ViaSat Interview Questions in Carlsbad, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.9

Desktop Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

1st Interview with a recruiter over the phone. 2nd with the hiring manager over the phone. 3rd interview was on site with a panel of people in the department including people that were seated in the position I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• An assortment of technical questions related to the job duties   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

A straightforward interview process. Contacted via e-mail to schedule initial phone interview with Technical Recruiter. Initial Phone Interview was 45 minutes discussing the position and speaking to the strengths on my resume in detail. Recruiter recommended me for follow-up and instead of the requisite Technical Phone Interview, fast-tracked me direct to an on-site the following week. Checked-in at the lobby and spent 4.5 hours in a conference room with 6 individual interviewers. Some spoke about position, culture, and my resume others were more technical testing software data structures and algorithms on the whiteboard. Overall great experience.

Product Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

- 2 phone interviews
    - 1 Half day of onsite interviews meeting with 7 individuals representing various sides of the company
    -Within one day of the interview I got a phone call saying that they would like to move forward with the background check.
    -Within another week I had a formal offer letter

Overall this had to have been the smoothest hiring process I've experienced in my career. My recruiter was friendly, genuinely helpful and patient during the negotiation process. She was quick to respond to my questions and concerns which showed me that they were serious and respectful of my time

Interview Questions

• How do you manage Quality when dealing with overseas contract manufacturers?   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process was way too long. I met with over a dozen people over 3-4 months. I came back multiple times and would wait weeks and weeks in between interviews without hearing any updates. I was constantly contacting the company for some sort of update. One person was assigned to schedule the interview it would take weeks before Every interviewer stressed how unique ViaSat's culture was and how not everyone can fit in. They stressed the importance of collaboration but one interviewer told me that its more about consensus where everyone has to agree before a decision is made. This individual seemed frustrated and paranoid about having another person join the team. ViaSat seems to be overly cautious and a bit arrogant about how unique their culture is. People in the community tell me that they have strung candidates they knew along for months who were more than qualified. It's pretty sad for the company to not be willing to take risks and bring in someone who could add a bit of innovation and fresh perspective. Everyone who interviewed me had been with the company over 20 years so I sense they are set in their ways and don't know what it's like outside of their own company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed and how you recovered from this experience   1 Answer
    • How have you made decisions in your past life?   Answer Question

Test Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA).

Interview

Had a phone interview in which the manager went through each bullet point through my resume and asked me to explain my role in each one. As I answered, he would type (he warned me that he typed slow and he needed to record my answers). His typing delayed our interview time. I would get many questions correct but he needed a certain term, or word, in order to count my answer to be counted as correct since it will be sent to hr for review.

Interview Questions

• What is one important thing you need in a spectrum analyzer circuit?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Lasted about 40 minutes. Asked me everything on the resume. Spent a great deal of time on one of my projects mentioned on the resume. Interview was the manager for one of the departments at ViaSat and was super easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• What Linux Distro do you use?
      Tell me about your project that you wrote in python. What libraries did you use?
      What was something you did in Verilog and how did it work?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

$1000 relocation bonus
    $750/mo housing stipend
    $25/hr pay

Didn't try negotiating because the offer was already great

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Long drawn out hiring process. The interviews were all easy with one exception (couldn't connect with one of the engineers). Make sure you can defend everything in your resume. Interview questions are based on its contents with few exceptsions. After 6 weeks, 5 interviews, and a background check, the posting was cancelled due to some internal challenges (sounded political).

Interview Questions

• All resume related questions. Some questions were asking for examples of projects and the outcome - again - based on the bullets in the resume.   Answer Question

Program Control Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

It was great!
    1. 30 min call with recruiter
    2. 30 min call with hiring manager
    3. In person interviews with 6 people, all 30 mins, one in group of two interviewers

They asked general questions to hard behavioral questions. Overall easy as long as your personable, yourself, and honest.

Interview Questions

• What was a problem you came across and how did you fix it? Follow up questions to really understand work behavior.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process began with a phone screening with a recruiter. She asked behavioral and culture related questions. Then there was a phone interview with a technical manager. He asked about the work I've done in the past and technical questions related to the open position. Then I was scheduled for an onsite interview. The onsite consisted of interviewing with 6 different engineers, each for about an hour.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a brief interview at a job fair, and then was contacted a while later for a phone interview. The recruiter was very nice and helpful. I thought the whole process went smoothly and was very quick after the interview.