ViaSat Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ViaSat Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ViaSat (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I applied at a career fair. There should be two consecutive phone interviews, but the first interviewer forgot to call me. Although they said they would arrange another one for me, they never got back to me afterwards.

Interview Questions

• They asked about your experiences. Some java knowledge including interfaces and classes. They asked some sql knowledge and a basic algorithm problem using stack.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ViaSat

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Troy, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Gave my resume to a recruiter at an on campus career fair, spoke briefly about some of my experience, and was scheduled an on campus interview on the spot. The interview consisted of some basic personality questions, followed by some questions about what was on my resume. A lot of time was just spent talking about some of the projects I've worked on at school. The second half of the interview was basic technical questions. I was asked what my strongest programming language was, and all of the questions were for that language. I got an offer two weeks later, which I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ViaSat (Denver, CO).

Interview

First I had an interview about my interest in the company and my familiarity with company tools. Then I had a group interview where multiple people spoke to me on the phone. Then I was invited to Colorado to engage in a behavior-focused assessment of my abilities.

Interview Questions

• What would happen if we suddenly added another step to the network connection process?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ViaSat (New York, NY).

Interview

got the interview from campus career fair. I interviewed on campus. Interviewer was super nice. I solved couple of problems with follow up questions on a piece of paper.

Interview Questions

• given two sorted linked lists. merge and sort both linked lists.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cal Poly SLO, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ViaSat (Cal Poly SLO, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Went over my resume, talked about past projects and my involvement. But was mostly technical questions. The interviewer was very helpful though during the questions I got stuck on, very kind about it. It's important to vocalize what you're thinking/doing, they want to converse with you as you answer the questions.

Interview Questions

• Design a op-am with unity gain of 10. Then create it to be a high pass filter. (I am a computer engineering major so this was to test my hardware side)   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between a pointer and an array? (in C)   Answer Question
    • What will happen at compile time if you create an array of size 3 and add 5 items to it? (in C)   Answer Question
    • Write a program that that takes in a char, and prints out that char with the bits reversed. (in C)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Lasted about 40 minutes. Asked me everything on the resume. Spent a great deal of time on one of my projects mentioned on the resume. Interview was the manager for one of the departments at ViaSat and was super easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• What Linux Distro do you use?
      Tell me about your project that you wrote in python. What libraries did you use?
      What was something you did in Verilog and how did it work?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

$1000 relocation bonus
    $750/mo housing stipend
    $25/hr pay

Didn't try negotiating because the offer was already great

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ViaSat in December 2016.

Interview

Met a representative at a career fair, and then got invited for an on-campus interview about a month later. Interview lasted about half an hour, and was pleasant overall. Had no technical questions, which was very surprising, since that's all I prepared for. Talked the whole time about my internship experiences, and my side projects.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult team member, and how you did it.
      Describe an "a-ha" moment when you were stuck while working on a project and finally figured it out.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process began with a phone screening with a recruiter. She asked behavioral and culture related questions. Then there was a phone interview with a technical manager. He asked about the work I've done in the past and technical questions related to the open position. Then I was scheduled for an onsite interview. The onsite consisted of interviewing with 6 different engineers, each for about an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a brief interview at a job fair, and then was contacted a while later for a phone interview. The recruiter was very nice and helpful. I thought the whole process went smoothly and was very quick after the interview.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. Talked to some engineers at my school's career fair. Had a technical interview the next day. The process was very quick and pretty average.