Viasat Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Viasat Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Viasat

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Viasat (Denver, CO).

Interview

Had the typical phone screen like everyone else.

Conversed with some lady on the other end and was NOT impressed by this company at all. The other person didn't have a clue as to basically anything that went in the software development world. Like other reviewers experienced, the person I spoke to seemed very unprofessional. In the end, I decided to not pursue the on-site interview since I did not want to work with those kind of people.

Other Interview Reviews for Viasat

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Viasat (College Park, MD) in September 2014.

Interview

Information session at University, followed by on-campus interview. There after, the candidates who get shortlisted will be called ofr on-site interview at their main location.Based on the performance of the on-site interview, decision is made whether to hire a candidate.I was interviewed on-campus during september 2014 but they haven't responded even after two months. Overall, it is difficult process but you can learn a lot through the process.

Interview Questions

• They asked about some new network protocol which we were unaware of.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

5 hours of technical interviews

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly expected like many other interviews, linked lists some OS concepts etc.   1 Answer

location

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Viasat (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Asked me regarding my project experiences - a game I made. He asked me about a comment I made regarding how I learned how to implement the tick on my resume to measure every moment of the game. I answered.

He then asked about my internship etc.

Then he asked a programming question, how to implement a function (in any language) that returned in index of a fibonacci sequence. Very straightforward and easy, however, I had difficulty understanding what he wanted at first. After thinking I understood what he wanted I made an assumption (that the fibonacci array was passed in) but evidently it was not. When I gave my code he asked where my array was passed in. I responded by saying I assumed it was passed in. He condescendingly responded by saying with an amusing facial expression "Umm... No I didn't...". Was it inappropriate? Probably, I wasn't phased though. I recognized I had difficulty figuring out exactly what he wanted and what was passed into the function. Regardless I fixed it and he checked and the function turned out correct.

We then had 3 minutes left and he asked my if I had any questions. I thought for about five seconds and said I didn't, I was familiar with the company and my role. He responded indignantly and this time a bit rudely stating: "Well if you have no more questions we should just end this interview right now" and smirking.

It was amusing, I again wasn't phased I just didn't quite understand why he was attempting to be such a jerk. Hence, I asked questions I didn't really care about to get him to lighten up again. The note we ended was a bit better.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

There were standard phone interviews initially, then they flew me down for an in person interview. This was one of my first interviews upon graduating college so I wasn't quite sure what to expect other than there might be fizz buzz questions. While I think I did ok on that portion, I wasn't ready for them to scrutinize my resume.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about operating systems.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Viasat (Carlsbad, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

The initial phone screen consisted of questions regarding the use of interrupts, what a RTOS meant, UML usages, software design process.

The onsite wasn't that aggressive, standard C and C++ type questions, if you've prepared it wouldn't be a problem, what's a volatile variable, how is it used, the use of static, C++ access specifier.
    Whiteboard problems consisted of implementing strcat, create a function that would shift an 8bit lower nibble with the upper nibble. It wasn't nothing terribly complicated.
    Other than the hiring manager, everyone seemed ill prepared and was basically reading off the information from my resume. The campus and environment seemed very nice. The employees I spoke too seemed stress free.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Viasat (Germantown, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

The entire proces moves very fast and they make decision within 24 hours after the on site interview.
    People were nice, interview questions are easy.

Interview Questions

• OS concept, database design, challenges you had and how you overcome   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Viasat (Carlsbad, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I was emailed if I wanted to apply, and I did. Then I had a phone interview that took place. It consisted of a 1 on 1 with a single question, as well as going over my resume.

Interview Questions

• How would you find the first non repeating character in a string?   2 Answers

I had a better offer from another company

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Viasat.

Interview

One of the HR people sent me an email. The email included an application form, asking you what your desired postions are. Then, they scheduled a phone interview about 30 minutes long. It was all about your resume and what you wanted to do in the company. If they thought you were a good match, they would contact you with a technical interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Viasat (Carlsbad, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

Sent a resume to a friend inside. Had a phone interview after a couple of months. Went extremely well. Had a face to face interview about a month later. Most went well. In depth questions, some tough. The lead whom I had the phone interview with gave a totally different vibe than on the phone. I knew I had lost when they yawned in the middle of the interview.
    After that loooooooong arduous process, it took them less than an hour to send me a rejection interview. Seemed a big waste of time. I thought that's what the phone interview was for, to save time.

Interview Questions

• Had to explain in detail how I would solve a board bring up.
      Usual code test <yawn!>   Answer Question