Vinson & Elkins Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Vinson & Elkins Interview Questions

Updated Dec 20, 2016

2.8

Associate Interview

Interview

Solid interview process and summer associate program. Initial interview process occurs over one day with three sessions and multiple interviewers. One of the interviews is over lunch. Great follow-up contacts from human resources and firm attorneys in order to answer any questions you may have. Recommended to keep at least one attorney's contact information in order for follow-up questions about the firm.

Interview Questions

• General set of interview questions for summer associates, including interest in particular firm and city.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Vinson & Elkins (Houston, TX).

Interview

Met with various partners and associates in different practice groups. Interviews were with each individual alone in their office. In total, interviewed with 5 different attorneys and then went out to a lunch with 2 others. Fairly standard law firm interview questions with a few substantive questions mixed in.

Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vinson & Elkins (Washington, DC).

Interview

Brief phone interview, in-office interview with upper staff and online typing test, second in-office interview with attorneys. There were several steps to the interview process, but it was at no point overwhelming or difficult. Everyone I met with was very friendly and warm, and gave their honest opinions of the company and the position. It was about 2 weeks of turnaround, and there were several other applicants.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions, what is your work ethic, do you prefer working in a team or on your own, what positive traits would you bring to the position, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate salary, the starting offer was very good.

Associate Interview

Interview

I obtained my first interview through my law school's on campus interview program. I then had additional call-back interviews in the Houston office.

Interview Questions

• The interview was fairly straight-forward, and similar to the interviews I did with other firms.   Answer Question

Legal Secretary Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Vinson & Elkins.

Interview

It went very well. Conversation was not one sided. Felt very comfortable

User Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vinson & Elkins (Austin, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

Great place to work, very nice and great people to work with

Interview Questions

• crunch time to get projects done, setting up for trial can be frustrating   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Vinson & Elkins in July 2010.

Interview

I went through a third party. An interview was set up with my current manager. I met with her for about 30 minutes and explained my expertise in my area. 30 minutes after leaving I spoke with my recruiter who let me know that V&E had already called and was ready to make an offer. An offer was made I accepted and the rest is history.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years   1 Answer

Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vinson & Elkins in March 2016.

Interview

standard competency questions and a case study with the partner, with half an hour to prepare and then the presentation. Staffs are nice and friendly, so no need to be nervous.

Interview Questions

• about a merger case and pros and cons; Why law? Why Vinson & Elkins?   Answer Question

Vacation Scheme and Training Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vinson & Elkins (London, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

Initial interview (for VS)
     admin and head of trainees -relatively informal and relaxed, 20-30 minutes. Mini presentation to prep -straight forward, though some level of law and commercial awareness crucial. A few questions on the presentation and also general questions -nothing too shocking/difficult.
    -got the VS.

Second interview (for TC)
    still the relaxed style
    Associate and head of trainees
    Run through of the report/answer you had to complete during the week
    Try to approach from a different angle
    Explain your points thoroughly and use supporting sources
    General chat about the week

Didn't get TC but was close I think.