Virgin Hyperloop One Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Virgin Hyperloop One

3.1

Senior Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Hyperloop One (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Started with me applying directly through the website. Within a week I received an email to schedule a phone interview. Two days after that half hour phone interview, I received an email asking to call and schedule an on-site interview.
    The on-site interview took a little over 4 hours! Starting with a 20 minute presentation by me describing my background and why I want to work at Hyperloop One. There were several employees present to ask various questions, then we broke for a tour. Second half of the interview was with more engineers and technicians
    After the interview, I was told I would be contacted with a decision in one week. Less than a week later, HR called me with an offer! Needless tosay, Here I Am!

Interview Questions

• Along with the obvious questions one would ask an potential employee regarding their background, emphasis was placed on, "How do I get along with others? How do I resolve conflicts? What is my button that may start a conflict?"   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Virgin Hyperloop One.

Interview

Came in for a whole day of interviews but knew it wasn't going well after the first 10 minutes. There was a homework assignment about marketing an upcoming Hyperloop one event, which I spent several hours preparing for, only to have literally no questions asked after I presented. It's fine if I was off base, but the lack of "question asking" was the theme of the day. I would hate to think they are using these interviews as a R&D exercise to get ideas, but honestly, I feel like I wasn't even interviewed. A lot of the ppl I briefly met with didn't seem to have solid marketing backgrounds which you can process as you see fit. i talked to 5 ppl over the course of the day, One person flat out told me they didn't have any questions and he was leaving for a trip and that he would say good things but he needed to pack. He left me in the conference room by myself for the remainder of my time. Another person also stated they had no questions and talked about her role instead. The person who was the most important person to meet was missing the whole day and eventually no showed for our time slot, he was a graphics person. I took a day off work, only to meet with people who clearly didn't value my time. I heard nothing back afterwards. It was nice that they provided lunch, but it was weird that I sat with the recruiter and not with anyone from the team. My advice to others would be to ask about the entire process up front and also ask how many ppl are in the process and when are they making a decision. Because this role has been open for a very long time and based on the talent they have currently doesn't seem like a role that would take that long to fill.

Interview Questions

• How would tell the Hyperloop segment to kids and schools?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Hyperloop One in January 2016.

Interview

I was immediately impressed by detailed followup and the passion of everyone I met. It is an extremely fast moving startup, which suits me, and so it didn't bother me when they had to reschedule one time. Everyone I met was honest, energetic and super smart. The team was great about following up on next steps.

Interview Questions

• I had to do a marketing plan presentation for an upcoming event, which was a lot of work, but I understood that this helped them vet candidates more deeply, and I appreciated their due diligence and it made me want the job even more.   1 Answer

Industrial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virgin Hyperloop One (North Las Vegas, NV) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online, heard back from a recruiter about a month later. 15 minute phone screen with the HR recruiter, spoke for about 15 mins about the company, my experience etc. She forwarded me on to the hiring manager who setup a one hour phone call about my experience, skills and why I wanted to work for Hyperloop One. He then setup a skype video presentation and interview with the rest of the manufacturing team in Nevada, which I was informed of a day prior to when the interview was scheduled. Presented to the manufacturing team and answered some relatively difficult and insightful questions. HR called 10 mins later and said they wanted to fly me out to Nevada to interview with the team. Hiring manager also wanted to speak to me again, so I took a half day from work for the phone interview with him. Manager calls in 10 mins late and says he wants feedback from the rest of the team before he does another one on one interview. Pretty unprofessional and unorganized. The next week I fly out to Vegas to interview with the team and see the test track. Cool stuff and good questions, excellent team and impressive people. Thought all interviews went well and was told they would be in touch. E-mailed HR twice about a follow up and only got one follow up about a week later where HR manager said she would ask the team about me....radio silence since then. I can understand blowing off candidates who simply apply online, but not after four interviews and asking them to travel. Worst interviewing experience of my professional life and pretty disappointed. I realize they're "changing the world" and are busy, but e-mails are simple and communication is key.

Senior Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Virgin Hyperloop One in September 2016.

Interview

I was an out of country hire. Interview was done remotely through phone and skype. Very high-tech and future-orientated. I was not brought in for an on-site interview. The screening and interview process was very thorough in terms of job descriptions, background and fit. I have never been hired without being physically present for an interview. I liked that I was able to meet the team and get a general feel for the company culture.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company?   1 Answer

Structural Analysis Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Hyperloop One (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume and application online. Received a response about 1-2 months later. 15 minute phone screen. 30 minute technical phone screen. Half-day interview onsite that included presenting to a group and shorter 1:1 interviews. Interview process was thorough and a good experience.

Interview Questions

• They gave me a simple FEA (finite element analysis) problem to work through at home that covered a range of analysis types to test my knowledge and asked me to create a presentation summarizing the results and present it during my interview. It was a good way for me to be able to showcase my skills and allow for further discussion.   1 Answer

Structural Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virgin Hyperloop One.

Interview

The hiring manager calls me and start describing the project. After that, he asks about my thesis and my Ph.D. work. Then he asked a few technical questions related to the work.

Interview Questions

• Deflection of the beam and how we can support a beam for lower deflection.   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Hyperloop One (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

Three phase interview process:
    1. Recruiter phone screen verifying information, high-level qualifications, and other standard, pertinent data.
    2. Technical phone interview - Interview with a technical team member going through details in background & qualifications, including specific technical questions
    3. In-person interview day - Series of 7-8 1:1 or 1:2 interviews with different members of the team, in addition to an hour presentation by me to that whole panel as a group on a topic sent prior.

Interview Questions

• Presentation interview question: Demonstrate your qualifications in the context of the job description.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Virgin Hyperloop One (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

My interview was a strange one. It was a tour that ended with me having a beer with the head of engineering, Josh Giegel. At the time, I had no idea who he was, only that the person giving me the tour had to take care of something and I now had someone new to meet and talk to. We discussed software needs for Hyperloop, how I thought a software team should be grown, and my overall goals. To this day, I do not really know if it was an interview "set up" or a lucky random happenstance. At the end of the discussion, Josh gave me his card and said that I should let him know if I can figure out a way that I could help out Hyperloop. After 3 weeks of thinking about it, I drafted a "treatise on building a software team" and a month later, I started at Hyperloop.

Interview Questions

• How would you build a software team?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Hyperloop One in January 2017.

Interview

3 interviews, 1st was a phone screen with HR, who directed me to an engineer for a technical interview. Then, had one more interview with another engineer. This interview was very challenging. Overall, a fun, challenging, streamlined process! HR was very helpful and good with response time. Everyone I spoke to was very kind and had nothing but good things to say about the company. The technical interviews were challenging-- expect to be grilled on your work experience and asked several related technical questions.