Virginia Department of Corrections Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Virginia Department of Corrections

2.4

Sort:

Anonymous Employee in Waverly, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Corrections (Waverly, VA).

Interview

Applied on the Virginia State Website. Got called for the agility test and interview 2days later. The agility test is easy however if you are out of shape you will struggle. After your interview you have a packet which you have to turn in all your paperwork by a specific day. I was contacted 7 days after the interview saying I pass the preliminary background check and they wanted to offer me employment and was given a non negotiable starting salary and a date to do uniform fitting and a medical evaluation. The process was fairly fast because they are always hiring. If you don't get hired you must have really did some bad things in your life.

Anonymous Employee in Dillwyn, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Corrections (Dillwyn, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

Staff was nice, they asked you questions about what should you do in these types of situations and they helped you out if you didn't really know. All around nice interview.

Anonymous Employee in Waverly, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Corrections (Waverly, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

I interviewed at a career fair. Completed the PEAT (Pre-Employment Agility Test), which consisted of the following: 2 push ups, 12 sit-ups in 60 seconds, 51 meter sprint in 20 seconds, and a 1 mile walk/run in 1 minutes.

Drug screen, physical and initial background check take place while you wait.

Brief face-to-face interview.

Meeting with the warden to discuss anything that may have been found during your brief background check.

HR representative offers you the job on the spot, tells you your salary, and lets you choose your start date.

Interview Questions

• Would you be able to shoot an inmate to prevent his/her escape?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Negotiate your pay if you believe you are worth more that they offer you!

Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Corrections (Richmond, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

I went in to the room in front of a Captain, Lieutenant, and a warden. They asked me questions about how I would deal with offenders in certain scenarios. They also asked me if I could pass the physical fitness test at the academy

Interview Questions

• Can you pass the physical fitness test at the training academy?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Corrections (Richmond, VA).

Interview

I showed up in some rally nice conference room because I know some important people. I wore a very nice suit and I smiled a lot and spoke with a thick accent. Nobody took interview notes... I was a shoe in for the job. They really wanted me to be the director since I have worked for so many other states... not just Virginia.

Probation and Parole Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinsville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Corrections (Martinsville, VA) in December 2017.

Interview

The interview process consist of a panel of three. Each panel member worked in probation and parole. The panel was very welcoming. Made me feel comfortable. I applied online and received a call about two weeks after applying for a interview. I have not received an offer, however they are still in the interview process. If offered I will except the position.

Interview Questions

• There was a total of 8 questions. Each questions required a lengthy response. Most of the question has two parts answers. The questions were related to your experience and education. Also, like what would you do in certain situations. The questions were not easy however they were not as difficult as I thought they were going to be.   2 Answers

Corrections Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Craigsville, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Corrections (Craigsville, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied online, but don't remember the time between submitting the application and when they called for an interview. Once called, you will interview typically with a captain and sergeant. (Don't be intimidated, they put on their pants the same way you do in the morning.) They'll ask numerous questions ranging from "Why do you want to work for the DOC?" to "What's your greatest personal achievement?" Once the interview is completed, you'll probably get another phone call because the DOC is always short staffed. They'll set you up to take a PEAT (Physical Education Assessment Test). Males and females must run a 1/2 mile in 6-minutes or less. If you have walked any amount in your life, you'll probably do fine. Males have to do something like 12-pushups and 10 sit-ups. Females are different, and although I'm not sure of the exact number, they are significantly less. Once you've completed the PEAT, they'll call you once again to setup a tour of the institution. Once the tour is completed, you'll take a drug test, and fill out the required paperwork. Your first actual day will be in a training facility. Now, you do a week or two of study exercises, followed by 5-weeks at the academy. Once again, don't become intimidated. The academy is pie. In the academy, you do both, study exercises and physical assessment. Once out of the academy, you'll come back for more training at a local training facility, which is the exact same work you just completed at the academy. Waste of money and time, I know. Once you're done with the training facility, you'll be trained and evaluated by a Field Training Officer within the prison. Altogether, you're looking at about 3-months of training before you're released to be on your own.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is virtually no negotiation. Military and previous experience is a plus, but usually doesn't help with negotiation.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Corrections (Richmond, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied Online. Panel interview by phone after a month. Pleasant enough. Questions typical for type of position. Offered an in-person interview less than a week later. Two senior folks conducted this interview. Got the sense with lack of eye-contact and a few of the comments I wasn't really in the running. I was a candidate from the other side of the country. That probably hurt my chances, but I wish they thought about that before giving me a week's notice to get out there on my own dime. It took six more weeks to wait after in-person interview to get an e-mail saying I didn't get position. Overall, the entire process took over three months. I think internal folks stand a much better chance to get positions at this level. Got a bad feeling from the administrator. Without sounding too "sour grapes," I think I may have dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• No truly difficult questions. Only questions about specific processes and approaches specific to the work of the position.   Answer Question

Information Technology Specialist III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Corrections (Richmond, VA).

Interview

I began here as a contractor. I collected several accolades for my customer service, response and technical skills. Agency management noticed, and when an opportunity presented itself, I was asked if I planned to apply. I did so and was selected as a candidate. The first interview was a technical panel interview (I believe this is the norm for state employment). The second interview (Culture/Personality) was with the hiring manager and the CIO. I think I did well in both scenios since I was already familiar with the inner workings of the department.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a higher salary than they were offering. Mainly because I was actively interviewing and had a competing offer. Otherwise I probably would not have gotten what I asked for.

Casework Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Corrections (Arlington, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online and it took about 3 weeks for me to get a call back for an interview. When I went in for my interview, they gave me a packet with approx. 8 questions on it. I had to read the questions (out loud) and give my answers as the interview panel, (which consisted of 3 people), wrote down my answers. All of the questions were about what you felt the job was and what your past experience was in the field.Then, approx. a week later I was called to go in for a second interview. During the second interview, there was a different interview panel. This time, it was 3 people from the hiring facility. The people interviewing me read from a list of 6 questions. The set of questions were basically the same as the first set of questions, just a little bit more in depth. If you go in for an interview and do not make it to the second round of interviews, you will get a denial letter mailed to you. If you make it thru to the second interview, it takes several weeks to hear back from them. They have to do extensive background checks, reference checks, and past employment verifications on everyone they hire. Your application status on their website will say "in progress" until the position has actually been filled. So, you basically have to wait till you either receive a call from their HR department stating that you got the job, or they will eventually mail you a denial letter. Don't call HR asking about your application status......they can't tell you anything.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions relating to the job and what your experience was.   Answer Question