Virginia Department of Health Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Virginia Department of Health Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2017

2.9

Outreach Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Health.

Interview

The Virginia Department of Health Human Resources was very responsive. The process was relatively quick. First had a phone screening interview with multiple people. Then was asked to come in for another panel style face to face interview.

HIV Epidemiology Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Health (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

They were in contact within two weeks of the application closing date. It was very helpful to be in contact with the one who would directly supervise me and not the HR manager. I opted to do the interview over the phone which is perfectly fine if you follow up. They were very nice, I only had two people over the phone with me, and it lasted almost an hour. There seemed to be questions that overlapped quite a bit, but just answer them calmly because they use the same questions for multiple positions, in my opinion. They asked me to do a writing sample (WITHIN 24 HOURS BE READY) after which I answered in about 1.5 pages single spaced. They e-mailed me three days later to ask for my references, and almost 2 weeks after (I followed up once in between to show interest) I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• They did ask your MINIMUM SALARY REQUIREMENT   1 Answer

Human Service Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Health in June 2016.

Interview

It was about 1 month before HR contacted me for an interview which is pretty quick. The interviewers asked pretty standard questions relating to the job and my ability to perform the job. After the interview I was asked to submit a writing sample which I think is ridiculous especially for someone who has a MPH (spending a lot of time writing papers). If they want a writing sample, they should only request them from finalist or those who they want to bring for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe your education and work experience as it pertains to the position   Answer Question

Human Service Program Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Health (Richmond, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a panel interview with 3 people. They asked me questions relating to the position and my experience in the field as it related to the position. I felt relaxed as it was not my first interview with the organization. It was alright. After one hour of the panel interview, they gave me a writing assessment portion which took another hour. The assessment portion also relates to the job position.

Interview Questions

• What qualities and skills can you bring to this position?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Health (Richmond, VA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied Online. Long process, but after you fill it out once, applying for other state jobs is easy. Received a phone call a few weeks later asking to schedule an interview. Showed up for the interview about 10 minutes early and they handed me a sheet with all the questions they would ask. They allowed me to start writing down answers. I wish I showed up even earlier. Five minutes later they walked me in and I had a panel interview. They actually started by asking if I had any questions. I'm used to that being left for the end of the interview. I assumed many of my questions would be answered during the process so I asked to jump right in and ask later. Each of the panel members read one or two of the questions from the sheet. Not many follow ups asked of my answers. Some questions probing for my view of the role and how it should be run. Last person in the panel was the recruiter who then ask all the administrative questions live in the interview (e.g., what are your salary expectations, are you OK with a background check, do you need Visa sponsorship, etc.) That surprised me a little.

Interview Questions

• How would you define success for this role in 3, 6 and 12 months?   Answer Question

Office Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Health (Virginia Beach, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Panel interview was in conference room I was interviewed by 3 people, interview questions were based on job applying for, interview lasted about 45 minutes typing assessment afterwards based on goals and work experience and you need to know how to use laptop Microsoft Word and flash drive

Interview Questions

• Why should you be chosen over other qualified candidates for position   Answer Question

District Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Health.

Interview

The interview was a ten question interview. The interview focused more on job duties and hypotheticals than background knowledge of hydraulics or public health. One interview total, could be done in person or over the phone.

Interview Questions

• What are the district engineer's duties in case of a wide-spread water outage?   Answer Question

Program Support Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Health (Richmond, VA).

Interview

The interview was a panel interview. Panel interviews are interviews at which multiple interviewers are present. Panels typically consist of two to five people, though in some instances there may be more. There’s often one person who “leads” the interview, though all who are present are important.
    For the employer, there are distinct advantages in conducting panel interviews. It boils down to the philosophy that the involvement of multiple interviewers increases the accuracy of assessing a candidate’s match for the position.
    There can also be surprising advantages for you, the interviewee. Panel interviews give you a chance to clarify points or explain your expertise in more detail. With multiple questions from different perspectives, you have added opportunities to discuss knowledge, skills, and experience that otherwise wouldn’t come to light.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a better salary than what was originally offered, which was very low for the position and my experience.

Environmental Health Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Health.

Interview

There was a 4-person panel interview. 20-25 interview questions were asked relating to food safety. All the questions were technical and no personal questions asked.

I felt that the whole interview process was very cut-throat and impersonal. The whole process seemed very rushed.

Interview Questions

• Temperature danger zone. What was it and why it is important.   Answer Question

Manager Poisition Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Health in February 2015.

Interview

Typical state interview, panel interview, usually easy to read how you are doing by panel response to your answers. They interview everyone that might possibly be qualified for the position so do not get your hopes up if called in for on, they seem to waste lots of time interviewing people they know they will not hire...to the point of being rude and acting put out that you showed up.

Interview Questions

• End of interview:
      What are your salary expectations?
      They are looking for"champagne employees on a lemon water budget”
      Can you do the job?
      Pass the background check?
      Allow us to call all of your supervisors and references?
      Answer Question