Virginia Department of Transportation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Virginia Department of Transportation

2.8

Sort:

Assistant Division Director Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation in April 2014.

Interview

I interviewed for the Assistant Division Director position. I was entirely qualified for the position. The interview felt like nothing more than a formality. They appeared to know that I would not be offered the position because they already knew who they wanted to hire. That, in and of itself, isn't so bad; however, VDOT didn't even have the common courtesy to inform me that I didn't get the position. I have never been part of an interview process where I didn't hear the eventual decision. I emailed and left a voicemail, with no response from HR or the hiring manager. The interview itself wasn't bad, as I was able to provide intelligent answers to all of their questions. The follow up was the absolute worst I have ever seen. I spent my time going through your process. Do I not, at the very least, deserve some closure on the process? By the way...this was 2 years ago.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

Candidate will be interviewed via phone. Employer will contact to schedule face-to-face interview after phone interview. After the interview process, employer will contact selected candidate and candidate must submit documents for background check etc.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose engineering as a career?   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Richmond, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

Quick phone interview with basic interview questions (in a conference call with multiple interviewers
    ). Next an in-person interview in Richmond (a few hours away for me). Same general questions as the phone interview with the same people. In-person was in early January they said they would respond by late January or early February but didn't hear back until late March.

Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suffolk, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Suffolk, VA) in November 2014.

Interview

Panel interview lasting approximately 45 minutes. Four panelists asked a series of questions on a wide variety of topics that were, for the most part, very general. Each question was an open-ended question and had at least two parts to it. Now that I've been through the process, I can see how one could prepare general responses in advance. It was clear the panelists were looking for specific, key phrases in each response.

Interview Questions

• One question asked for specific, technical information having to do with VDOT's information systems.   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation.

Interview

Hiring Process is pretty straight forward. The focus is more on your previous experience. There is little technical interview for the positions. The interview panel is generally comprised of 3 to 4 people. The agency is heavily in Oracle so expect questions in relation to experience in Oracle based applications.

Interview Questions

• Please explain your experience in implementing Construction based applications.   Answer Question

Engineering Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Richmond, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was held in their headquarters, and they asked me 4 or so questions about previous experience. The whole process was quick and they were very friendly. There were 3 ladies inside asking questions. I was also allowed to ask questions of my own, and they were very thorough in answering my questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked well in a team setting.   Answer Question

Engineering Technician II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Richmond, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

- Phone interview: You will get a call that may last between 15-20 minutes; it's 3 people taking turns asking you behavioral questions and involvement in school.

- In-person interview with a panel of 3 people: You may get an email or call for an in-person interview, and again, behavioral questions emphasizing how you would react upon stressful situations.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation in January 2016.

Interview

There are two levels of interviews. You generally meet with field staff first. If that process goes well, you will interview the District Administrator and the Division Administrator of HR.

Interview Questions

• What were the reasons for you applying?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about an employee relations situation you recently dealt with and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Functional Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Richmond, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

1 interview: In Person with Hiring Management and another resource. Interview was centered around agile experience, and what I can provide to the organization. Once the interview was over, I received an offer within 1 week after the interview was complete. The required background check takes up to 4 weeks to complete, and so that will delay your start date.

Office Engineer Interview

Interview

Needed hires quickly for a project they were understaffed for. Happened all pretty fast. Email resume and same week went through a phone interview. Came in for a face-to-face interview the next week. Next day received an offer.