Virginia Department of Transportation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 3, 2017

2.8

VDOT Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Fairfax, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

The first interview was conducted on SparksHire (one-way online interview website). It consisted of 3 behavioral questions. Unlimited time to read the question. 1.5-2 minutes to answer each. Had the option to rerecord an answer if I wasn't happy with it the first time.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you over relied on email communication? (really random, I know)   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to turn in something that was incomplete?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you used your listening skills to resolve an issue/conflict?   Answer Question

TDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Richmond, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

Not great, the whole process took like 30 mins. The panal was consist of three people. Two white ladies and a white gentle man. The HR manager told me the interview would be regarding technical but they bombarded me with behavior questions.

Interview Questions

• The questions was about describining a situation where you have difficulty in managing a situation.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Richmond, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

Quick phone interview with basic interview questions (in a conference call with multiple interviewers
    ). Next an in-person interview in Richmond (a few hours away for me). Same general questions as the phone interview with the same people. In-person was in early January they said they would respond by late January or early February but didn't hear back until late March.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation in January 2016.

Interview

There are two levels of interviews. You generally meet with field staff first. If that process goes well, you will interview the District Administrator and the Division Administrator of HR.

Interview Questions

• What were the reasons for you applying?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about an employee relations situation you recently dealt with and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Office Engineer Interview

Interview

Needed hires quickly for a project they were understaffed for. Happened all pretty fast. Email resume and same week went through a phone interview. Came in for a face-to-face interview the next week. Next day received an offer.

ROW Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Richmond, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

It was extremely laid back panel review. The interview did not have any surprise or tricky questions. It became more of a discussion pretty quickly. They were more interested in the personality fit more than anything and how well I would fit with the team. Overall it was an extremely easy interview.

Interview Questions

• It had your typical interview questions. What are your strengths?   1 Answer

Transportation Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ridgeway, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Ridgeway, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview in front of 3 people, all asked open ended questions. Had to do with previous experience that relates to the job description. VDOT works VERY slow! Took two months to get an interview and tree additional months to find out they wouldn't hire me because of no CDL. They claim to allow time to obtain a CDL but want you to already have it so they don't have to train you. You WILL NOT get a job there unless you have connections with management. Also you better have tons of experience with every little thing that's in the job description because they apperantly don't want to train you on any job! I had a lot of necessary experience but lack concrete experience and that took me "out of the running" he said. Had my hopes up for 5 months to find out the above! VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

Interview Questions

• What type of machinery have you operated?   1 Answer

SharePoint Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, RI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Bristol, RI) in August 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with the practice Manager, and a subject expert. The interview was conducted using Skype/Lync for Business with video. It was driven by primarily technical questions, and my experience and skill level at Technical Documentation.

Interview Questions

• What is the most significant feature of a SharePoint Site Collection?   1 Answer

Engineering Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Richmond, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was held in their headquarters, and they asked me 4 or so questions about previous experience. The whole process was quick and they were very friendly. There were 3 ladies inside asking questions. I was also allowed to ask questions of my own, and they were very thorough in answering my questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked well in a team setting.   Answer Question

Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suffolk, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Suffolk, VA) in November 2014.

Interview

Panel interview lasting approximately 45 minutes. Four panelists asked a series of questions on a wide variety of topics that were, for the most part, very general. Each question was an open-ended question and had at least two parts to it. Now that I've been through the process, I can see how one could prepare general responses in advance. It was clear the panelists were looking for specific, key phrases in each response.

Interview Questions

• One question asked for specific, technical information having to do with VDOT's information systems.   1 Answer