Virginia Department of Transportation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 16, 2016

3.2

TDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Richmond, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

Not great, the whole process took like 30 mins. The panal was consist of three people. Two white ladies and a white gentle man. The HR manager told me the interview would be regarding technical but they bombarded me with behavior questions.

Interview Questions

• The questions was about describining a situation where you have difficulty in managing a situation.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Richmond, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

Quick phone interview with basic interview questions (in a conference call with multiple interviewers
    ). Next an in-person interview in Richmond (a few hours away for me). Same general questions as the phone interview with the same people. In-person was in early January they said they would respond by late January or early February but didn't hear back until late March.

Transportation Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ridgeway, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Ridgeway, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview in front of 3 people, all asked open ended questions. Had to do with previous experience that relates to the job description. VDOT works VERY slow! Took two months to get an interview and tree additional months to find out they wouldn't hire me because of no CDL. They claim to allow time to obtain a CDL but want you to already have it so they don't have to train you. You WILL NOT get a job there unless you have connections with management. Also you better have tons of experience with every little thing that's in the job description because they apperantly don't want to train you on any job! I had a lot of necessary experience but lack concrete experience and that took me "out of the running" he said. Had my hopes up for 5 months to find out the above! VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

Interview Questions

• What type of machinery have you operated?   1 Answer

Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suffolk, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation (Suffolk, VA) in November 2014.

Interview

Panel interview lasting approximately 45 minutes. Four panelists asked a series of questions on a wide variety of topics that were, for the most part, very general. Each question was an open-ended question and had at least two parts to it. Now that I've been through the process, I can see how one could prepare general responses in advance. It was clear the panelists were looking for specific, key phrases in each response.

Interview Questions

• One question asked for specific, technical information having to do with VDOT's information systems.   1 Answer

Assistant Division Director Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Department of Transportation in April 2014.

Interview

I interviewed for the Assistant Division Director position. I was entirely qualified for the position. The interview felt like nothing more than a formality. They appeared to know that I would not be offered the position because they already knew who they wanted to hire. That, in and of itself, isn't so bad; however, VDOT didn't even have the common courtesy to inform me that I didn't get the position. I have never been part of an interview process where I didn't hear the eventual decision. I emailed and left a voicemail, with no response from HR or the hiring manager. The interview itself wasn't bad, as I was able to provide intelligent answers to all of their questions. The follow up was the absolute worst I have ever seen. I spent my time going through your process. Do I not, at the very least, deserve some closure on the process? By the way...this was 2 years ago.