Virginia Hospital Center Director of Information Technology Operations Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Director of Information Technology Operations

Interviews at Virginia Hospital Center

1 Interview Review

4.0

Director of Information Technology Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center (Arlington, VA).

Interview

I applied for a Director position and from application to offer letter the process took 6 weeks. In that time I was asked to come into the hospital for interviews six times within a month. I met with numerous leaders including folks from HR and a few members of the C-suite as well as peers of the role I was applying for. To say the process was comprehensive is accurate. To say that it was disjointed and poorly managed is also accurate.

Because the salary was not mentioned at the outset by HR, I used the six interviews as a process of discovery. The online job description was sufficiently vague and, it took several interviews to understand the true depth and breadth of the position.
Additionally, while interviewing at VHC, I was interviewing elsewhere and I let my recruiter know. As the interview process was coming to a conclusion I let the recruiter know I may have multiple offers coming in at the same time.

When I finally received the offer it was past 5 p.m. on a Friday. Despite her flattery about me being their top choice, I felt the compensation was low by about 10%-15%, which I expected as the beginning offer in a brief negotiation. Then, just before we hung up, the recruiter told me (a bit too firmly) that she needed to hear back by 10 AM Monday, giving me exactly one business hour to make my decision. That business hour was important because I had not heard back on my other offers by 9:30 AM on Monday so I called the recruiter to ask for another day to make my decision. She sounded shocked I would need another 24 hours after they had put me through a month -long interview process, but said she would ask the hiring manager.

I reiterated that I likely had another offer coming in for consideration and wanted to make an informed decision. At this point the recruiter seemed to be holding back her anger when she stated that she wasn't aware I was considering other offers, that this was the first time she was hearing of this. I calmly reminded her that I had mentioned this before. I inquired about the compensation, indicating that I thought the offer was low based on my market value and my increased understanding of the role. I countered with a slightly inflated number knowing this was a negotiation and that we'd likely settle somewhere in the middle. In reality, I expected the final number to be around 10% higher than the initial offer.

This was when the recruiter really showed her teeth. She stated that while I was their number one candidate the salary was set in stone because I lacked knowledge of two key areas which, arguably, are two of my strongest. After six interviews and time with my resume, their assessment of me was completely off base. Red flag. She said there would be no negotiation. I said, "OK, good to know” and stated that I would be back in touch later that day or the next with my decision.

Ninety minutes later I received an EMAIL rescinding my offer and letting me know they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Have you handled major systems replacements and worked to manage several other projects at the same time to ensure interoperability.   1 Answer